Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kebiin Jay W.I.P

• 24 Replies

Jay Krayt

• Practice makes progress
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Kebiin Jay W.I.P
« on: Mar 01, 2014, 07:27 PM »
Hi all!
I've decided to start a second kit, 'cause I'd like to have a kit that has mobility.  :) I've come up with an idea to keep this kit super light, but still iconic. Name for this one is Kebiin Jay, which means Blue Jay.  8)
The idea for this one is to do it in a Boba style. Basically like a femmando protector but different colors and no jetpack.  :P

Molded the chest pieces using my tutorial here.

How's the spacing?
Chest diamond is underway, and I'm going to get another J2P for the helmet unless I can find a regular one small enough.  :rolleyes:
I have the pieces cut out for the gauntles but I was wondering; is there any other methods I could use to secure the hinge besides rivets/glue?
The knees have been bondoed and are drying right now.  8)

« Last Edit: Mar 01, 2014, 10:39 PM by Jay Krayt » Logged

tauriice

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events Award for 10 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Kebiin Jay W.I.P
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:48 PM »
This looks great so far, I love it. Are you using Sintra? I've started a kit and cut out a bunch of my pieces today and am wondering what the best adhesive is. What did you use?

Freya Drayven
Mother of Mischief
MMCC #902, SVC #51

Jay Krayt

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member Shock Infantry Brigade Member Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Mar 01, 2014, 09:50 PM »
Thanks Tauriice!  :)
Yep! I'm using 3 mm sintra. JB weld is one of the best adhesives with sintra from my experience.

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #3 on: Mar 01, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Looks cool! I can't wait to see your progress!  ;D

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2014, 12:18 AM »
Sweet Sassy Molassy! I really like what you did for that style of weathering, subtle yet intense. Not distracting, but speaks volumes to the kit! Would you be able to PM me/post here/tell me where to go to find out what to do to get that effect? I'm going to do something like that to my plates when I make them.

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2014, 03:53 AM »
Looks great Jay.

I am assuming weathering is layer of silver, layer of blue with bits covered up. Remove the covering, then apply a light blackwash.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

seugtai

• 'ZOOG-tay'
  • nom nom...cookie
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Chicago Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2014, 09:59 AM »
The lower "teeth" pieces on the chest plates seem too long to me. They don't quite fit with the ab plate. I don't remember that being an issue with your current kit. It may just be the angle of the picture too since it's more from one side than straight on.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of your work.

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2014, 10:39 AM »
Can't wait to see these progress shots. I really enjoy browsing your other kits pictures for inspiration! You always do phenomenal work!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2014, 12:21 PM »
Looks cool vod  8)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Mar 22, 2014, 12:07 AM »
this done yet?? :P good start vod'ika. like the color choices and excellently dirtied up plates are looking nice too

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Jay Krayt

« Reply #10 on: Apr 13, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Thanks y'all!  :)
Sweet Sassy Molassy! I really like what you did for that style of weathering, subtle yet intense. Not distracting, but speaks volumes to the kit! Would you be able to PM me/post here/tell me where to go to find out what to do to get that effect? I'm going to do something like that to my plates when I make them.
After a coat of silver, use a brush and dab on the masking fluid. Let it dry and paint the color over it. I use the back side of sand paper to rub it off, then follow it by a blackwash. After that I sand it a bit to get some nice scratches.  :)
Yes, at last she is done!! Got this approved two days ago.  :D
Here's some detail shots of the kit's pieces:
Gauntlets were made from cups, my clanmate, Keyascuro gave me the idea. I got four for 2 bucks, pretty sweet deal.  8) After that it was simply cutting off the bottom and putting some sintra together. Fits great and you don't have to worry about a hinge, just slide on and off.

Used WOF templates for the knees, and I still need to make some knee darts.  :-[

"Borrowed" my sister's old J2P helmet.

Y'all have no idea how much of a fight this thing put up. Finally got it to work, but sadly the tabs connecting to the collar weren't sitting right and had to be cut off.  :'(

I do intent on adding more detail to these.  :P

All soft parts have been weathered. (Except the neckseal).

This is the first belt I put on, then I put a thick brown leather belt over it with my other pouches. I tried this setup for the first time Saturday, and it worked great!

Some full kit shots:

Only upgrades planned are: details to shin tools, small wookie braids, and knee darts.
All comments/critiques are welcome!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Apr 13, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Looking nice vod.

Xyyyr Black

• The REAL diamond collector
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2014, 02:10 PM »
Looking lovely! Great work here! Love the clour scheme!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 03:29 PM by Xyyyr Black » Logged
++The jawalorian++

"Who am I? Ha! I am no one, I am a dark memory, I am your worst fear... I am the dark destructor, the haunter.. the lost one" -Xyyyr

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:04 PM »
This is So full of LIKE ....   ;D

Great work Jay ....  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Nala

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2014, 04:28 PM »
Looks fab- great work!  Also loved the pic with the 'What a Woman Wants' sign- of course they want Mando armour!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 03:32 PM »
Cool pics vod ;D Looks Awesoooooooooooooooooome ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Xyyyr Black

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 267th Rapid Assault Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #16 on: Jun 10, 2014, 01:00 PM »
I love this kit! I really like the paint job!  :)

++The jawalorian++

"Who am I? Ha! I am no one, I am a dark memory, I am your worst fear... I am the dark destructor, the haunter.. the lost one" -Xyyyr

Ram'or Kranak

• Kranak Forward!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2014, 09:57 PM »
You and your sister do awesome armor!  I need y'all to come over here and help my wife and daughter get their armor together.  :laugh: 
Great job!

Yes Ruus'alor, I do want to live forever!  Or die trying.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78573.0

Jay Krayt

« Reply #18 on: Jul 11, 2014, 10:59 PM »
Thanks all!  ;D I'm glad y'all like this kit thus far.

I've been thinking of ways to up this kit, and here's what I've done:
  • Chest Paint Details
  • Shortened Vest Flaps/More Vest Tailoring
  • New Sockies for the bottom of the pants. They're finally tan!
  • Knee Darts
  • Weathering!!!
  • Wookie Braids
Minor malfunctions - I couldn't find the gloves I normally use, so I used these temporarily. I've also gotta make the belt tighter next time so it doesn't sag.  :-[
Not many adjustments are planned for this kit, mainly general upkeep. I've got two blasters I'm working on for this kit so I've just gotta finish those and make holsters. :)

And lookie what came in the mail...

Not sure how I'm going to paint these up yet, but I'm very happy with how ConDar made them.  :D
Ditched the cape; not sure if I'm going to make a kama, add the cape back, or leave as is. Thoughts?
Any suggestions and comments are always welcome!

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
« Reply #19 on: Jul 12, 2014, 01:05 AM »
With the back plate, ditch the cape add the kama. Then again I just like having something covering my shebs.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #20 on: Jul 12, 2014, 01:30 AM »
Looking Great Jay .... You Were meant to Wear the Armor of a Warrior ! 

Whatever you Do , I'm Sure it will be over the Top .... as always ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Xyyyr Black

« Reply #21 on: Jul 12, 2014, 04:00 AM »
I love those pics! Well done Jay, you did a fantastic job! 8)

++The jawalorian++

Wyn Starhawk

• Strive to be better.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events 15+ clan level invasions
« Reply #22 on: Jul 13, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Nice job!  ;D

Enby. They/them.| Aliit Ori'shya Taldin
« Reply #23 on: Jul 13, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Awesome. Loved that first pic. Keep it up!

"A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead.'" -RC-1207, "Sev"

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #24 on: Aug 02, 2014, 06:29 PM »
How did I ever miss your second build, looking gooood  8)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!