Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Chest armor LED Lights - cheap alternative?

• 18 Replies

JCFETT

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Chest armor LED Lights - cheap alternative?
« on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:30 PM »
Hey guys,

still finishing up my wife's armor with her... and we're looking for a not-so-fancy cheap alternative for a cool chest LED display, something that doesn't make her look like a bicycle light. If there are any one that specialize in this area or have a cool trick/idea, I can solder and work ok with components, but just never messed with programming boards or anything like that.

If anyone could help that would be amazing!

Bounty hunter life  |  instagram: @jcfett

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
Re: Chest armor LED Lights - cheap alternative?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2014, 10:44 PM »
I can....get LED digits(individual ones) hollow out the back with a dremal, and put your lightsource behind them. If you wanna get fancy you can get individual digits and wire them up but it can be a pain to figure out what pins do what. for example just rip open your microwave and use the timer LEDs from that...or like you could wire them up digit by digit.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

JCFETT

« Reply #2 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:01 PM »
Hey Dres, so what you're saying the difficult part is actually the numerical display? Sorry if I'm not following 100%. I could definitely find a microwave I can rip apart, but at this point it doesn't even need to be numerical display. I was thinking just a set of may 6 above 6 red LED's that each one randomly blinks on. While I could solder all the LEDs together to a power source... I of course cannot program this randomized blinking/sequence. basically I need a board with LED's pre-programmed lol

:|

Tal'Falco

• My Client, My Target..Neither live long
« Reply #3 on: Mar 03, 2014, 11:55 PM »
You could see if fettronics is still making them on TDH

Rest In Peace Remo Jadd..

Miss Troll Tuesday? Follow the link http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70820.0

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Mar 04, 2014, 12:20 AM »
I can sell you a pre-programmed LED blinker, but do you want the digits to be constantly on or flashing? If I hollow out LED digits I can make them any colour you want.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

JCFETT

« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I can sell you a pre-programmed LED blinker, but do you want the digits to be constantly on or flashing? If I hollow out LED digits I can make them any colour you want.

really nice of you! the way I'm thinking of it... is random LED's will light on and pause... then light off pause... then relight on and pause etc... kind of like how christmas tree lights pause on and off, but each time different/random LEDs.

Tal -- fettronics is amazing, but I'm trying to be cheap here, $80+ isn't asking a lot.. but it's just overkill. I just need some interesting lights that randomly blink on/off with pausing intervals so it looks interesting and my wife doesn't look like the back of a bicycle or is coming from a rave (your house) LOL

JCFETT

« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:44 PM »
Hey dres, let me know what you think is possible.

It would be red as well. Basically kind of like what Fett has on his chest armor, but it is just LED's and they randomize which is on and which is off. They don't need to all be off at the same time. Maybe if they each have different timers on them it could be something cool. I mean whatever is cheap and interesting hahaha god I need to leave work and go home I'm french toast right now.

thanks bros

Tal'Falco

« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:46 PM »
really nice of you! the way I'm thinking of it... is random LED's will light on and pause... then light off pause... then relight on and pause etc... kind of like how christmas tree lights pause on and off, but each time different/random LEDs.

Tal -- fettronics is amazing, but I'm trying to be cheap here, $80+ isn't asking a lot.. but it's just overkill. I just need some interesting lights that randomly blink on/off with pausing intervals so it looks interesting and my wife doesn't look like the back of a bicycle or is coming from a rave (your house) LOL

At least a my house there won't be any guys hitting on her or drugs because id have to drop the hammer...

Miss Troll Tuesday? Follow the link http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=70820.0

JCFETT

« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:46 PM »
I was even looking at this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Lights-Blink-in-sequence-/291082628828?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43c5e06edc

I talked to the seller and he says the light starts as just 1 and goes across all the way until all are lit, he says it goes kinda fast, which I'm not sure will look good, but it also seems too big to put behind her chest plate

JCFETT

« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:47 PM »

At least a my house there won't be any guys hitting on her or drugs because id have to drop the hammer...

Tal'Falco

« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2014, 05:53 PM »
This^

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2014, 06:50 PM »
Well what I could do is a "random" sequenced LED display where it's actually a step-by-step sequencer except the LEDs are all mixed up so it looks like they are linking at random, and then I can make it so they are on about 2-3 seconds each or however long you want. it wouldn't be any thicker than a 9V battery. And then the LED digit display would be constant on or flashing?

random blinking segment of red LEDs (is 10 LEDs good for you?) $45
LED digits non-blinking 6 digits(+$2.50 per additional digit) $15, +$10 for blinking on and off. +20 for individual digit sequencing i.e. certain digits are on when others are off.

JCFETT

« Reply #12 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:50 AM »
Hey dres

thanks so much for your help it seems like it's a lot of complexity going on :/ and unfortunately I'm trying to be a real cheapo on this idea. :/

Thanks for your help though!

:)

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #13 on: Mar 05, 2014, 10:57 AM »
no problemo

JCFETT

« Reply #14 on: Mar 05, 2014, 07:31 PM »
hey dres, check this out.... it only blinks one type of display... but it's pretty cool for the price! Do you think it would be possible to change what it displays randomly?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HG205-BOBA-FETT-COSTUME-LED-LIGHTS-PROP-REPLICA-STAR-WARS-FANCY-DRESS-/390789119201?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item5afcd8bce1

here is a video

http://youtu.be/BtuQJRZyv0M

JCFETT

« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:32 AM »

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2014, 10:48 AM »
to changethe blinking pattern you would have to replace the blinking aparatus, the knightrider one would be easier to work with I think since it would only need hardwiring slightly longer leads  to the LEDs.

Kal Vizsla

• "Enemies no matter, they´re all the same to me..."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 75 official invasions. Award for 50 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2014, 01:52 PM »
I think i found something very cheap. Is exactly what you are wanting
Pics tonight

Kalaval Zil BigFang Clan(Mex)  contact: 
 https://www.facebook.com/BigFangClan.Mexico
M.A.J.I.C. 122   B.E.A.R.D.S. 046  V.R.C.A 034

Jaa'det Otxoa

• You can't shoot what you can't see! OM #0872
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2014, 02:24 PM »
I am using my 4th gen iPod...
You can check out how mine looks in my beskar'gam W.I.P. here

<->Firaxan Clan<->M.A.J.I.C. #096<->M.A. #049<->M.A.D. #016<->T.E.M.T.S. #035<-> 

Weapons: 53%
Beskar'gam
Buy'ce

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!