Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

FrancT- backpack WIP

• 17 Replies

Mavek Tryn'ke

• Formerly 'Mavek "Vek" Tryn'ke'
  • OM # 1368 Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
FrancT- backpack WIP
« on: Mar 06, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I was surfing thru here last night to get some ideas and came across this thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=33278.0

Thought that pack looked great, and wanted to do something similar. Of course, I thought "where the heck am I going to find a lawnmower like that?". I hit up a local thrift store today looking for ideas and found this for $4. I think it was a vaporizer or nebulizer, but it has a similar look, and I think I'm going to use MandalorianEwok's pack as the basis of design...

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41
M.i.B. #7 Shereshir'Ca: Seize The Night

"Vercopa Par Naas, Tsikador Par Mayen"
Hope for Nothing, Prepare for Anything

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
Re: FrancT- backpack WIP
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Looks like a good base! Just needs some greebs and a strapping method. Good find for sure

Mavek Tryn'ke

• Awards Award for 25 official invasions. 40% increase or more 11+ Invasion Report Appearances 15+ invasions in 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Mar 06, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I'm not going to work on it for a week or two, so I'm going to kick some different ideas around (We're working on several guns right now and our girth belts). I'm thinking a 3" PVC tube down at least one side, possibly both sides. My one gun has a barrel extension, so that will act as a storage area for it.

« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2014, 07:00 PM by FrancT » Logged

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2014, 01:53 PM »
Great Base vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #4 on: Apr 27, 2014, 06:43 PM »
OK, so I finally had some time over the last week and a half to work on this. I decided to turn it into a jetpack instead of just a backpack.

Took some 3" PVC couplings...

cut a piece of vinyl siding to fit inside...

hot glued the vinyl siding in the coupling

Next I took a piece of 1 1/2" PVC as well as a 2" to 1 1/2" adaptor

And glued them together....

This then got glued onto the vinyl siding in the coupling.

I took some 3" PVC pipe, some cheap plastic funnels which I cut down, and some plumbers putty...

Sanded and primed...

Rough fitting with some greeblies, switches, and PVC connectors. The round thing in the middle was a dollar store can strainer.

Used some black paint on a rag and rubbed it on to give it a weathered and used look.

Connected some hoses and clear coated it

I also put a piece of red cellophane behind the can strainer thing. I'm going to cut a hole in the back of the pack so that I can insert a flashlight and you will see the red.

What do you guys think?

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Apr 27, 2014, 08:49 PM »
I like it, but I think the red on the rockets need something. Maybe some silver caution stripes?

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #6 on: Apr 28, 2014, 11:29 AM »
I was thinking of putting some sort of markings on the rockets. Numbering or something....

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

Dresdon Acacin

• On Occasion
  • Mess with the best, die by the thousands. -DA '17
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:49 PM »
You can copy the amrkings from the tank toppers on bobas jetpack ?

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #8 on: Apr 28, 2014, 12:59 PM »
Greeblies never cease to amaze me.  :P I have to find some cool stuff for my pack, but this is a nifty idea.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Apr 28, 2014, 03:41 PM »
That looks awesome vod ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Solus Raam

• Sukwee Vawd
  • Controlled Chaos
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #10 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:37 PM »
so what your saying is ... NOW YOUR BACKPACKS GOT JETS!

Keep up the good work bud ;)

Official Troop Count: 70

Raysh Palaven

• The Wings Of Mandalore
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2014, 04:44 PM »
Inspiring fabrication vod! Might just add a pack to my kit.  ;D

We are many. You are but one.

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #12 on: Apr 28, 2014, 06:09 PM »
I downloaded the Mandalorian font for Photoshop, so I made a stencil for some lettering/numbering on the rockets.
I used my Mandalorian last name Tryn'ke. I printed it on paper and used a razor knife to cut it out. I then sprayed some spraypaint on a paper plate, and used a foam brush to apply the paint on the stencil. This gives it a instant used, weathered, worn off  look...

And voila!

Edited: I built the harness so I can wear it. I've also cut the hole in the back for an LED flashlight to be installed. I didn't realize it'd also light up part of the tubes. I think I'm going to hit up the dollar store for some cheapie glow sticks to insert into the tubes (I can access them from the hole I cut in the back) to make them glow a different color.

« Last Edit: Apr 30, 2014, 08:19 AM by FrancT » Logged

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #13 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:12 AM »
Quick suggestion over glow sticks:

El Wire

$12 for 10-15 ft with a controller on amazon. Can't be beat! It will make the tubes glow just as good as a glow stick would and you won't have to change them out. Just an idea~

Mavek Tryn'ke

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30, 2014, 09:15 AM »
Quick suggestion over glow sticks:

El Wire

$12 for 10-15 ft with a controller on amazon. Can't be beat! It will make the tubes glow just as good as a glow stick would and you won't have to change them out. Just an idea~

Oh, interesting! I'd rather use something like that, so I'm going to look into it. I'd like to use something other than a flashlight as well, so this might fit both needs.

OM #1368
Cabur Akaata #41

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!