Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Weaponry Info

• 34 Replies

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Weaponry Info
« on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:00 PM »
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid."
―Han Solo,
Canon Examples
    Blaster Pistols
      Blaster Rifles
        Repeating Blasters - examples in the link
        Verps
          Sonic Weapons
          Grenades

There are also many Melee Weapons, electricity based weapons (electro-whips, stun staffs, etc). 
          There are many, MANY other kinds of weapons.  You can look for more at Wookieepedia using their search function. You may also check out their Weapons Category for a comprehensive, but nowhere near complete list of weapons in their database.

Below are variants and weapons that have been completed by Mercs members,  for a full list of builds refer to the WIPs within this board, the linked ones are linked due to their excellence.

Rifles/Blasters - incomplete list, needs filling out
          Verp - Dargas Mod
          Verp - Ben Ru Montroc variant (templates)

Grenades/Blades/Misc weaponry - incomplete list, needs filling out
          thermal dets
          con-safe metal blades[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

Rokeim Gekla

• Hasn't defiled in a while
          • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Shock Infantry Brigade Member Order of the Ori'Ramikad Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
          Re: Weaponry Info
          « Reply #1 on: Mar 19, 2014, 01:04 PM »
          if there are any tutorials that i missed that ya'll feel should be listed here, let myself or the section moderator know and we'll get it added in !

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2015, 06:42 PM »
          are there any tutorials for this sniper rifle that you know of?

"if you are going through hell... Keep going"
          Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
          • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
          « Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2015, 04:09 PM »
          I reckon that you could build the majority of that with a bunch of varying diameter PVC pipes easily.  The body I'd make out of MDF layers glued together and the side-panels and detailing can mostly be done using pieces of Foamex (Sintra) cut to shape and laminated onto the body.

Here's the techniques I've been using to create a 1313 Boba Fett Blaster-inspired Carbine - while I can't tell you how to build that specific rifle, pretty much all the things I've done for mine can be applied to that design.

Collecting as many pipes and cylindrical shaped containers would be a good start - I'd base the scale off the pipes you have available and once you find enough interlocking cylinders and pipes to get an approximation of the barrel, I'd then start to drill down into working out how to create the body - if you're not confident in cutting MDF straightaway, build a mockup with layers of cardboard until you get something that resembles the shape, then break it down to act as templates for your woodworking.

Best of luck!

Avix Dreylestre

• "Cin Vhetin"
          « Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2015, 11:17 PM »
          I feel lucky to have found this thread. The wookieepedia list was very time consuming to look through. Thank you, Rokeim! :)

« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2015, 11:37 PM »
          I reckon that you could build the majority of that with a bunch of varying diameter PVC pipes easily.  The body I'd make out of MDF layers glued together and the side-panels and detailing can mostly be done using pieces of Foamex (Sintra) cut to shape and laminated onto the body.

Here's the techniques I've been using to create a 1313 Boba Fett Blaster-inspired Carbine - while I can't tell you how to build that specific rifle, pretty much all the things I've done for mine can be applied to that design.

Collecting as many pipes and cylindrical shaped containers would be a good start - I'd base the scale off the pipes you have available and once you find enough interlocking cylinders and pipes to get an approximation of the barrel, I'd then start to drill down into working out how to create the body - if you're not confident in cutting MDF straightaway, build a mockup with layers of cardboard until you get something that resembles the shape, then break it down to act as templates for your woodworking.

Best of luck!

what do you sugest i do to make the blaster hallow so i can install sound and light systems

Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
          « Reply #6 on: Sep 07, 2015, 05:15 AM »
          I opted not to be quite so ambitious on my first build, but what I'd suggest is that you make the middle cross-section of your weapon so that it has the necessary space cut out there in advance - whether that's merely channels cut out in one side of the middle cross-section that are long enough for wires to pass through, or designing voids in the middle section to accommodate more complicated stuff like triggers/switches and battery compartments.
          The more you can try out in cardboard the better before you commit to the build, so I'd start with a solid middle cross-section in my cardboard mockup, build all my electronics to size with wires long enough to go down the barrel, etc, and then lay them on that cross-section, cut out where they need to go.
          Then you can go to MDF knowing that a lot of problems have been headed off.
          The other thing I will say is not to be too quick to assemble your gun - screw/bolt your MDF layers together while you work on them and glue them later when you know everything's been solved and you know exactly how it's all going to come together.
          (Certainly with both the 1313 and the twin Westars that are about to be finished delaying the final assembly of the whole gun has proven to be a real help - easier to mask and paint different parts, easier to fll and work with different pieces, etc.
          Good luck!

« Reply #7 on: Sep 07, 2015, 11:26 AM »
          I opted not to be quite so ambitious on my first build, but what I'd suggest is that you make the middle cross-section of your weapon so that it has the necessary space cut out there in advance - whether that's merely channels cut out in one side of the middle cross-section that are long enough for wires to pass through, or designing voids in the middle section to accommodate more complicated stuff like triggers/switches and battery compartments.
          The more you can try out in cardboard the better before you commit to the build, so I'd start with a solid middle cross-section in my cardboard mockup, build all my electronics to size with wires long enough to go down the barrel, etc, and then lay them on that cross-section, cut out where they need to go.
          Then you can go to MDF knowing that a lot of problems have been headed off.
          The other thing I will say is not to be too quick to assemble your gun - screw/bolt your MDF layers together while you work on them and glue them later when you know everything's been solved and you know exactly how it's all going to come together.
          (Certainly with both the 1313 and the twin Westars that are about to be finished delaying the final assembly of the whole gun has proven to be a real help - easier to mask and paint different parts, easier to fll and work with different pieces, etc.
          Good luck!

thank you so much for your help i will have to talk to my dad or a friend of mine so we can figure this out

Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2015, 11:48 AM »
          You're welcome!  Wish I could be more specific, but half of this kind of building is problem-solving out those low-level bits of the build.  Certainly with your rifle, I'd start by building a stack of 6 or 8 identical pieces of card that are the profile of everything behind the cylindrical part of the barrel and the mega-sight.  I'd then cut away from the outer ones the bits that aren't the grip so your grip is then becomes smaller than the full width of all your profiles.  Then, as I say, I'd take a look at the middle layers, work out where your trigger and wires will go, as well as how your PVC pipe will slot into the whole affair.
          Have a great day

« Reply #9 on: Sep 07, 2015, 12:14 PM »
          You're welcome!  Wish I could be more specific, but half of this kind of building is problem-solving out those low-level bits of the build.  Certainly with your rifle, I'd start by building a stack of 6 or 8 identical pieces of card that are the profile of everything behind the cylindrical part of the barrel and the mega-sight.  I'd then cut away from the outer ones the bits that aren't the grip so your grip is then becomes smaller than the full width of all your profiles.  Then, as I say, I'd take a look at the middle layers, work out where your trigger and wires will go, as well as how your PVC pipe will slot into the whole affair.
          Have a great day

well i am wondering if i could commission you to make the blaster as a kit like by doing the cuts and such how much would you charge?

Winston Churchill
          « Reply #10 on: Sep 07, 2015, 03:17 PM »
          well i am wondering if i could commission you to make the blaster as a kit like by doing the cuts and such how much would you charge?

you know what never mind about the commission i was also wondering what would you think the measurements would be if i wanted this to be the same size as the Barrett .50 cal. sniper

Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

« Reply #11 on: Sep 08, 2015, 09:17 AM »
          I'm flattered, but at the moment, I don't have time to take on commissions and build the two kits we're currently doing.  But as I say, I'll happily answer any questions as you work through the build  - you'll be surprised how much you'll learn doing this and then be able to make even more awesome stuff.

Syko Voss

« Reply #12 on: Sep 09, 2015, 02:36 PM »
          What I'd suggest is take an image of the Barrett (like this one)

Print it out to scale on your printer, tape all of the pieces together

I'd then use that as a guide to working out what diameter PVC pipe you'll need to build the barrel - that will determine an awful lot of your measurements - what's actually available at your local hardware store.

And I'd overdraw (as rough as you like) the outline of your gun on top of the Barrett - key things being the size of the grip, etc.

I'd roughly glue that to some card, cut out the shape of your gun and then pick it up - see if it feels right in your hands, does your non-firing hand hold the underside of the gun in a comfortable position with your hand on the grip?

It'll be wobbly fer sure, but it will get you in the ballpark.

If you're then happy, you've got a basis to build a proper card template from once you've bought your PVC pipe.

It's certainly the approach I've taken for both the 1313 and the Westars I'm building for my other half - - print it to size, hold it up, see if it works.

Fast cardboard prototypes will solve many problems and they're totally inexpensive and throwaway,

« Reply #13 on: Sep 09, 2015, 03:14 PM »
          What I'd suggest is take an image of the Barrett (like this one)

Print it out to scale on your printer, tape all of the pieces together

I'd then use that as a guide to working out what diameter PVC pipe you'll need to build the barrel - that will determine an awful lot of your measurements - what's actually available at your local hardware store.

And I'd overdraw (as rough as you like) the outline of your gun on top of the Barrett - key things being the size of the grip, etc.

I'd roughly glue that to some card, cut out the shape of your gun and then pick it up - see if it feels right in your hands, does your non-firing hand hold the underside of the gun in a comfortable position with your hand on the grip?

It'll be wobbly fer sure, but it will get you in the ballpark.

If you're then happy, you've got a basis to build a proper card template from once you've bought your PVC pipe.

It's certainly the approach I've taken for both the 1313 and the Westars I'm building for my other half - - print it to size, hold it up, see if it works.

Fast cardboard prototypes will solve many problems and they're totally inexpensive and throwaway,

how do i print to a 1/1 scale like what are the deminsions that i need to put in, in order to have the thing print that size?

Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

« Reply #14 on: Sep 10, 2015, 04:44 AM »
          This is where Google is your friend...

"print photo to scale over multiple pages"

Top result: http://scottiestech.info/2009/08/08/how-to-easily-print-a-large-image-to-multiple-pages-in-windows/

« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2015, 10:49 AM »
          This is where Google is your friend...

"print photo to scale over multiple pages"

Top result: http://scottiestech.info/2009/08/08/how-to-easily-print-a-large-image-to-multiple-pages-in-windows/

okay cool thank you so much

Winston Churchill

Syko Voss

« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2015, 11:27 AM »
          Best of luck, Travis.  Let me know how it turns out!

« Reply #17 on: Sep 10, 2015, 01:03 PM »
          Best of luck, Travis.  Let me know how it turns out!

thank you. My dad said he can talk to his work about saving cardboard from the shipping receiving section of his work

Winston Churchill
          « Reply #18 on: Nov 06, 2015, 06:55 PM »
          Not sure if this is where to ask, but I'll throw it out anyway...what do you use to fill in screw holes (on Nerf type guns) that you are modifying? Something putty-wise that eventually hardens and can be sanded and painted...

Jon'n Taurendil

"It's your life...end it any way you want..."

jett drexel

• a long time ago in a living room far far away...
          « Reply #19 on: Nov 06, 2015, 07:00 PM »
          bondo works as does epoxy putty although the putty takes a lot longer to cure.

« Reply #20 on: Apr 19, 2016, 01:26 AM »
          Is there a blaster manufacturer like Ultra Sabers or Saber forge?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
          • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
          « Reply #21 on: Apr 19, 2016, 08:20 AM »
          Is there a blaster manufacturer like Ultra Sabers or Saber forge?
          Too may to list quickly.  Are you looking for metal, cast resin, rubber?

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
          • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
          « Reply #22 on: Apr 25, 2016, 11:44 AM »
          Too may to list quickly.  Are you looking for metal, cast resin, rubber?
          A good number of us also prefer to build our own custom creations with airsoft bases, found parts, and custom-tooled bits.  If you're looking for a grab-and-go blaster, though, expect to pay through the nose, on most counts.

« Reply #23 on: Jan 11, 2017, 12:30 AM »
          What are the rules on vibroblades im thinking on incorporating one for my modern kit?

Syko Voss

« Reply #24 on: Jan 11, 2017, 09:21 AM »
          None really - just make sure it can't be mistaken for a lightsabre.

Only real wrinkle I can think with blades is making sure they're safe for use at a con if you were planning to attend one.  Some cons will have a weapons policy that disallows hard 'clubbing' type weapons - so check the policy before attending and leave them off your kit.

Right now I'm in the middle of creating a couple of MDF vibroswords based on the ones used by the commando droids in Clone Wars - I'll only carry them with my kit where appropriate.  There are some good tutorials here for creating lit vibroblades but I'm going to use the Adam Savage trick of using aluminium tape to make a realistic metal blade effect (http://www.tested.com/art/makers/460153-one-day-builds-customizing-adams-hero-sword/)

One thing that is worth being careful of is Sintra/Foamex for a full-length blade - it'll be possible but will be prone to easily snapping.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
          Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!