Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Incorporating a shield

• 15 Replies
Incorporating a shield
« on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:02 PM »
Has anyone incorporated a shield with their armor?
The idea crossed my mind today and couldnt find any pictures of where someone has.I am sure it might be a pain to troop with it but it shouldnt be no worse than carrying a heavy weapon.Any way just wondering.

TI-68712 Alabama Garrison

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
Re: Incorporating a shield
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Which era are you going for?
I know shields used to be frowned upon for Modern era kits.
I think season 6 of the Clone Wars showed they can be used to great effect in "modern" combat situations.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2014, 10:58 PM »
I am thinking of building a modern kit.I didnt know it was frowned on but I can understand why.maybe that's why I havnt found any pictures of mercs using a shield.
I am working on a Capt.America shield to decorate my room with which is where I got the idea from. Ofcourse if I did do a shield it would be a style that the Mandalorian police used in season 6.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I don't see problems with making one to carry.  The only issue is you have to carry it around all day. :P  Also, holding a shield may limit you to one-handed weapons (swords, pistols).

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:29 AM »
The main thing, I think, is that it'd have to be more of a modern riot shield sort of concept. Kite shields and bucklers, things with heradlry, that sort of stuff doesn't really tend to fit the modern supercommando vibe. However, one road you could take is the energy shield idea, based on the gungan shield and the commando droid shield.

Going that way is both Swarzy and light on the arms depending on your materials. In any case, like Taglar said, you would be limited to one handed weapons, both from a tactical-in-universe standpoint, and from a how-are-you-going-to-carry-a-heavy-repeater-and-a-shield-in-this-parade standpoint.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team
« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:27 AM »
I've thought about this a couple of times myself, in regards to my Urban assault build. In my opinion a good way to cover it would be to mix together the normal shield and energy shield idea.

You take the gauntlet of your non dominant hand and craft a 'buckler' for it (appropriately starwars doo-hicky'd obviously)
  This is the beskar hub of your shield, it houses the portable power unit needed to maintain a barrier, and in a pinch acts as a good way to protect vitals when the shield is not active.

Then you build a modular attachment to that base out of sintra strips or piping, hex construction or more liek the commando droids use. Then you fill in the gaps with a opaque material.

It would be super cumbersome to lug the extra bits around with you. But... I think it would look amazing if done right.

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:34 AM »

I thought of doing one like this with a colored clear frisbie and some EL Wire.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:47 AM »
Something like this, only with lights that work?

Actually, that did have working blue LEDs that made the center and the edges of the clear acrylic buckler light up (and long before it appeared in TCW), but I've since changed to different gaunts.  I thought of having a large target shield (round, like Captain America, the 300 Spartans, etc) but I never rounded up the material.

As for large shields and large weapons:  Notches and/or cutouts in the shield, gun ports (a hole in the shield right above the left arm for instance), and possibly something like a steadicam rig to make a two-handed big gun a one-handed big gun.  A shield would probably go really well with a Merr-Sonn Underslung Rotary Carbine

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 02:35 PM »
...... you should find that shield Ori, and sell it to me if yer not using it anymore. Lol.

That's close to what i was sketching up, also the idea of crossing it with a underslung BFG with a steadycam rig is just good times.

Zul Veyrde

• "Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy" -FSF
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 03:58 PM »

I thought of doing one like this with a colored clear frisbie and some EL Wire.

A couple of us have had some ideas along these lines. I made semi-successful prototype w/o lights that needed work, but I've put it aside for more important work, like the helmet. I still plan on doing this...maybe as a post OMing upgrade.

Best of luck!

-ZUL THE PIECEMEAL-
"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."-George Bernard Shaw
Zul Veyrde's WIP thread: GONE METAL! RE-RESURREKTION!!!! (update) *MAJIC#037-M.A.#012-24er-The Elegant Mando Tea Society#038-K.O.M.S.#011-ALUMINATI Metal Armour Society#018-M.A.C.K. Daddy#009-S.O.S.#021-L.O.B.#019-M.A.D.#074-O.O.P.S.#051-\m/M.M.R.S.#029\m/-Grey Brigade Over 40#10
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:02 PM »
That is to cool  8)
I cant remember what company made it but there was a frisbee on the market that lite up as it was in flight.I think it was semi clear.Its been years since I have seen one.If someone could find one that might work out since it is already wired with LEDs

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:55 PM »
You could try something like this:
http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=2221

Make some straps to sling it on your back ala Captain America.  Use it primarily for photo ops  and stash it under a table at Cons or something when you aren't using it.
Or you can make a shield that goes on your gun like this:

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2016, 09:46 AM »
I wanted to revisit this old post as I'm also considering a shield. I'm considering the idea of an energy shield.  I've managed to procure an old police riot shield which is round and fairly compact.  It's also clear and it seems that this could be perfect for the energy shield.

I had thought about a more traditional type shield and painting my own mythosaur skull into it but that wouldn't now work with an energy shield. The good thing is that I have an authentic shield to work with although weight could be an issue...

Kyr'bes Adenn (Lawgiver)

Darth_Vemon

• Crush your enemies, see them driven before you...
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2016, 05:19 PM »
If it's a clear polycarbonate, adding some EL wiring or strings of LEDs, it would give it that energy shield look, provided there's enough light to saturate the plastic. 

K'dumi haran doslanir bat vheh ures aranov.

Benjin "Farlander" Kov'nyn

Check out my fanfic:
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=130493.0

Cabur Akaata #49 M5SP #22 B.O.O.M. #21 Aluminati #46

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2016, 12:53 AM »
I wanted to revisit this old post as I'm also considering a shield. I'm considering the idea of an energy shield.  I've managed to procure an old police riot shield which is round and fairly compact.  It's also clear and it seems that this could be perfect for the energy shield.

I had thought about a more traditional type shield and painting my own mythosaur skull into it but that wouldn't now work with an energy shield. The good thing is that I have an authentic shield to work with although weight could be an issue...
Next time, make a new thread.  This one's over two years old.

« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Not much wonder lol

Kyr'bes Adenn (Lawgiver)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!