Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

SUPER CHEAP Body Armour Tutorial

• 51 Replies

Pointoforigin

• Pointy Stick Wielder
  • Mukal Warosi
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Re: SUPER CHEAP Body Armour Tutorial
« Reply #45 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:39 PM »
The OP is still quite the active member, he's just not on the Forums very much ;)

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #46 on: Oct 22, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Nothin wrong with necro posting this thread through. We have a LOT of new members since the last time that somebody posted in this thread and this is one of those that is very helpfull no matter how old it is.

May have just saved some new member a lot of time viewing the boards looking for a cost effective tutorial.

I know I've used this method myself for some armor parts and it DOES work. Getting the whole sheet of PVC perfectly flat can be a pain, but the end results are pretty good.

Yeh fir doose really, Necroposting is one of my pet peeves so it really bothers me. But you're right. Was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

My apologies if I have caused any disconfort posting on such an old thread, I didn't realise it was THAT old...  :-[

and don't worry vod, I'm more in the wrong here than you (cause as noted you're actually not), Sorry for the over-reaction.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #47 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:10 AM »
Yeh fir doose really, Necroposting is one of my pet peeves so it really bothers me. But you're right. Was a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

and don't worry vod, I'm more in the wrong here than you (cause as noted you're actually not), Sorry for the over-reaction.

Not over-reacting, it made sense, that's why I apologise  :laugh: All grand vod.

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #48 on: Oct 22, 2014, 09:12 AM »
I know a lot of folks aren't keen on necro-posting, but in our forums, sometimes it's actually beneficial to 'bring one back from the dead', so to speak.   :)

Sometimes doing so "dredges up" old threads that are actually helpful, as they tend to become covered-up and buried in the forums as time goes on, and are lost to the membership.  ;)

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus
« Reply #49 on: Nov 02, 2014, 01:53 AM »
I thank you, sir! You may have saved me $160 or so.

« Reply #50 on: Aug 15, 2015, 02:23 PM »
I am new to this group.This is a really cool idea. Has anyone tried the oven method of heating up the PVC? I have not started making armor yet and am finding out all these different ways to build it. Of course I would like to do a cost effective armor build. I did like the post about how if someone punches you they hurt their hand,lol. Maybe someone should do a youtube video on this.

Thanks,Daren

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #51 on: Aug 15, 2015, 05:24 PM »
Welcome, Daren.  :)

I used the oven method on my first three sets of armor; it works well, but be careful not to burn it (the toxic smell is unhealthy), and use a towel against your body for shaping, as it will be hot (it helps to have a second person assisting).

Use a spray bottle of water (or the tap) to help 'set' the shape, once you get what you like.

Rob

Judicial Incident Report Form (for anyone to report an issue): https://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=form;n=34
"Let's never forget that we're here to have fun in this hobby, first and foremost; none of this spaceman suit stuff is real, and it means very little to the outside world. Never take yourself too seriously playing dress-up, because no one else does...it's all about perspective." - Ol'Varticus

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!