Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Paint Question

• 14 Replies

Tobias Creed

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
Paint Question
« on: Mar 28, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Okay so here's the quick rundown.

- new paint job
- sprayed white
- white wasn't mixed/shaken up well
- came out like crap
- acetone it
- sand it
- primer it
- primer still looks like crap

Can I sand the primer and keep priming it to save it? This armor plate is messed up from this. And I'm a week out from a con.

This is probably the worse experience I've had with paint.

SOS!

klown5ive

• Do ya feel lucky? Well do ya?
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member
Re: Paint Question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:44 AM »
What does the air feel like where your painting? Is it humid at all? I've had this same problem while painting armor at work one day. The issues was from a little humidity and some grime on the plates. Sand the bad areas and then rinse it with water, scrub it down with some dawn or another type of soap and dry it with a towel or something to speed it up. That should work.

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel
Force hunter number five. Coincidence? Or not?

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:34 AM »
What he said. Clean and prime the crap out of it and see if that helps.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Tobias Creed

• Awards Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #3 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:47 AM »
should I prime it, sand it, prime it, sand it, etc until its good.

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:33 AM »
yes you can sand it between primer coats. I will use a primer coat to show me where the trouble areas are then sand until I can't move my arm. You can also use isopropyl alcohol to clean the plates after sanding. the alcohol evaporates faster than water dries. I use the highest grit sandpaper I can find, at least 320, 400 or higher is better. Keep in mind that the higher the grit the quicker it clogs with paint. If you have really rough areas then use a lower grit sandpaper and work towards the higher grit. As mentioned above air quality makes a big differences. So does how much paint you are spraying on at once. I use several very thin coats and make sure that my spray can is at least 12 inches away from whatever I am painting. Post some pics of what you got and maybe others will have more specific advise.

klown5ive

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:51 AM »
If you mean sand prime and sand without Washing it, no. It will only add more messed up spots. Sand it down and wash it really well.

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel

Tobias Creed

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:10 PM »
Well, it was warm in my garage because I have heater in there. It was dry in there, not humid. I use average coat. The problem was that it was a new can of spray paint and didn't shake it. Wasn't thinking. So it came out chunky. Then the chunks dried on it.

I'll sand, prime, wash, prime to see how it turns out.

klown5ive

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2014, 12:49 PM »
Shake well next time  :P

Northern Blue Moon
Goes Full Tassel

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Yeah, always shake vigorously and longer than you think you need to.

Sand it down, wash it, prime it up and redo.

Tobias Creed

« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 09:45 PM »
Working on that ThaxBot 3000

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Mar 29, 2014, 09:40 PM »
White can be a bother sometime. What do you mean by looking like crap? Is it peeling or something? Getting wrinkly? Or just an odd color?
My last kit gave me a horrid time painting. I had to resand the whole thing at least twice. I would paint, have problem, sand, clean, reprime and repeat. Eventually it worked.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Tobias Creed

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Its white, but there is a really coarse texture to it. You can see how coarse it is. I'm going to try to save it. Should start working on it soon since I have a con in less than a week.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #12 on: Mar 31, 2014, 01:42 PM »
Potentially it sounds like the nozzle hasn't been cleaned and it's not spraying in a fine mist anymore.

Tobias Creed

« Reply #13 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:24 PM »
it was a new can. So it can't be that. It wasn't mixed up properly. I wasn't thinking when I sprayed.

Thaxos

« Reply #14 on: Mar 31, 2014, 04:27 PM »
Just sand it smooth and keep on painting over top then.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!