Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kavryn Falco - Upgrades & Stuff [Last Update Pg. 15]

• 219 Replies

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Kavryn Falco - Upgrades & Stuff [Last Update Pg. 15]
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:02 PM »
--EDIT--

As of 11/9/15, my images have started to disappear. I've attempted to replace them, I may have missed some/some may have disappeared after I went through. Sorry 'bout that :-\

--END EDIT--

Hey folks, my name's Kavryn.  Gonna be starting a Modern mando.  I'm gonna buy the helmet, make the plates myself, and at least make a stab at making the flak vest myself.  Here's where I'm at:

-Have concept Mandomaker, color
-Have Sintra
-Have black duckcloth for vest/kama
-Have boots
-Have trophy rope
-Have cut templates, test-fitted chest templates

-Don't have bucket (Have my heart set on NME Assassin, but alas, it exceeds my budget at the moment)
-Don't have flightsuit (Will be charcoal grey)
-Don't have girth belt or pouches
-Don't have gloves
-Haven't actually cut any plates yet

Concepts:

This is my color concept for now.  Colors may change, because I can't make up my mind at all, although I think the plate arrangement will stay the same.

-Chest armor templates designed by Viradechtis.  They're perfect, exactly what I wanted.  Thanks a ton for sharing them!
-Note the shnees (which will be fully enclosed if I can swing it) and the doubled shoulder armor.  It will also have my ouroboros sigil (aka my avatar) on the left shoulder, on the opposite side from the doubled plates.
-I do plan on having a kama; I just forgot to add it on in MM.  It would come down to just above my knees, and it might be armored if I find a design/pattern I like.
-The gauntlets will be very plain, possibly entirely unadorned; we'll see.  All I know for sure is that they're definitely not going to be super-chunky like Fett's.

Completed Stuff:

I've had these boots for years, and I've mostly stopped wearing them because they're getting worn out. But, hey!  Perfect for Mandos, and I won't have to do much extra weathering.  They may get replaced down the road, but for now they're free and that beats everything else. :P

My trophy rope.  Because everyone needs one of those before they even start their armor, amirite?  :laugh:

Templates/Stuff in the works:

Chest armor test fit!  I didn't realize until they were already taped on that white on white is a terrible idea... so yeah, sorry about that.  Despite the terrible quality, can you give me any pointers on fit/spacing?  It looks pretty good to me, but then, I've never done this before.

This is a shnee template that I worked up.  It's hard to see, but the center section is a separate piece that will be raised when it's made out of sintra.  These might get reworked a bit; I dunno.  Also, my vod'ika is modeling it for me, as it's darn near impossible to take a good picture of your own lower leg.  Thanks bro!

Claw-gloves:

I'm super excited about the way these came out.  The gloves they're on are NOT the final gloves; only placeholders until I can find ones I like.  The left hand is the only one with the claws because I really don't want to stab everything I go to touch; also, I like the asymmetricality of it.

I'd like to move on to cutting my plates out of sintra, but I don't want to start that until I hear some opinions on my chestplate's fit and spacing.  If I need to retake those pictures, I can - just let me know.

« Last Edit: Mar 11, 2016, 06:52 PM by Kavryn » Logged

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Kavryn WIP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 05:47 PM »
Personally, I'd put the collar plate and the extra bit together into one plate and then shift the rest upwards just a little. Bit hard to tell, but the bottom of the ab plate should end around the bellybutton.

On the other hand (pun intended), once you've made that glove, you can always send it to me for uhhhm, safekeeping :P

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:38 AM »
Hm, I'll cot a new template out and try to get it fitted tonight.  I think it did come a bit past my bellybutton, if I remember correctly - I'll be sure to check that this time.

Very kind of you to offer; I'm sure you would keep it very safe.  Unfortunately, I like to live dangerously  ;)

Kris Jasra

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2014, 04:05 PM »
Very kind of you to offer; I'm sure you would keep it very safe.  Unfortunately, I like to live dangerously  ;)

Pity. Ah well, can't blame me for trying  ;)

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2014, 08:29 PM »
Okay, here's the new collar, on a better shirt:

Thoughts?

Also, new concept:

I realized I'd forgotten my bicep plates, so I added those in and moved my sigil to the bicep.  Other than that it's pretty much the same.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015, 02:29 PM by Kavryn » Logged

Kris Jasra

« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2014, 08:39 PM »
Looking much better. I'd see if you can move the rest of the plates up about another cm, it may mean more cutting and taping of the breast plates, but that last little tweak will have them sitting perfectly.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2014, 09:09 PM »
Just taped back up and tried again.  It's an easy enough fix; I won't really need to recut anything.  So!  Off to the basement to trace out all my plates.  Again.  Oya?

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:01 PM »
Really digging the claw glove and your trophy necklace.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Thanks vod!  I'm a firm believer in the details making or breaking the kit.  Hopefully the sintra gloves turn out as awesome as the paper ones; I'm a bit worried about all the little bitty cuts I have to make.  I may wait to cut it out until the Falcos' armor party next month; I expect they'll have a hair more practice at this than I do  :laugh:

Also, minor update:

Aaaand unfortunately here we come to a screeching halt.  One of my friends was at my house the other day trying to cut his own plates out with a jigsaw, and he kept cracking the sintra.  I've heard people say that they use a dremel; I know we have one, but my dad says it doesn't have the proper attachments to cut sintra.  So I'm probably going to have to figure out what attachments I need, and how expensive they are, and go shopping.

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015, 02:29 PM by Kavryn » Logged

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:48 PM »
Diamond cutting blades I have found work wonders cutting plastics. Used on the high setting of the dremel.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #10 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:03 PM »
Thanks!  I'll look for one of those, then.  The list grows ever on and on...  :laugh:

Oren-Cathal

• You cannot judge me! I am Justice itself!
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2014, 12:09 AM »
I jobmate makes a big accessories pack, 10-20 bucks. Has a whole bunch of goodies in there.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Apr 06, 2014, 05:21 AM »
great concept vod ;)

I personally like the extra collar plate ;) the plate sizes look great and that glove  :o thats cool

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kris Jasra

« Reply #13 on: Apr 06, 2014, 05:55 AM »
I've used 6mm sintra for 5 different kits now and I used a penknife/stanley knife for all of them. It does take time which is the downside, I could only do a couple of bits before needing to rest my hand. (Or alternatively, find some friends and get them to cut some - it works wonders :P ) Using the knife did mean I could cut angles, curves and straight lines (use a ruler and cut alongside it) without having to worry about huge amounts of cracking or the plastic melting.

If you do decide to use a dremel, use a diamond bit, they don't tend to get as hot as metal cutting bits and keep it on a lower speed than you would use for metals and fibreglass.

Don't worry over tiny chips that might happen, once everything is cut, you can make them into 3D battle damage. I use an engraver or a sanding bit depending on what type of damage I'm going for to just lose the distinctive flat edges that sintra has when it chips. I've never had to cover any large cracks before, but I have seen people use another bit of sintra to make the armour look like it's been patched in the middle of battle.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #14 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:03 AM »
great concept vod ;)

I personally like the extra collar plate ;) the plate sizes look great and that glove  :o thats cool
I kinda liked it too - who knows, maybe I'll just cut them both out  :laugh: 

I've used 6mm sintra for 5 different kits now and I used a penknife/stanley knife for all of them. It does take time which is the downside, I could only do a couple of bits before needing to rest my hand. (Or alternatively, find some friends and get them to cut some - it works wonders :P ) Using the knife did mean I could cut angles, curves and straight lines (use a ruler and cut alongside it) without having to worry about huge amounts of cracking or the plastic melting.

If you do decide to use a dremel, use a diamond bit, they don't tend to get as hot as metal cutting bits and keep it on a lower speed than you would use for metals and fibreglass.

Don't worry over tiny chips that might happen, once everything is cut, you can make them into 3D battle damage. I use an engraver or a sanding bit depending on what type of damage I'm going for to just lose the distinctive flat edges that sintra has when it chips. I've never had to cover any large cracks before, but I have seen people use another bit of sintra to make the armour look like it's been patched in the middle of battle.
I do have a box cutter... or at least, I had a box cutter.  Between school and general disarray, I've lost both it and my xacto knives... /sad kav

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it  :)

EDIT:
Yeah, you know how I said progress would be slow?  I lied.

Couldn't help myself, ran to the store and picked up some paints and a new boxcutter :laugh:

It's all Krylon, but the primer is "Dual Superbond" and the clearcoat is "Fusion."  Do you think it'll be all right?  I have the receipt, so I can always return stuff.  Also I couldn't find the color I wanted for the tan; I picked up "Almond" and I'm gonna try layering it with the black and/or the red... we'll see how it goes.

First plate first plate whoo!  I'm on a roll :D

Also I have a helper.  Holly-cat wants to be a fearsome mando warrior, too!

« Last Edit: Nov 09, 2015, 02:31 PM by Kavryn » Logged

Talev

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #15 on: Apr 06, 2014, 05:15 PM »
Your glove is amazing! I'm bookmarking this to see where it goes.

And everyone needs a helper cat ;)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #16 on: Apr 08, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Thanks vod!

Unfortunately cutting plates out with a boxcutter is murder on the hands, so between that and school load (finals in a month, whoo...) I'm gonna have to take it easy.  There is progress, but nothing picture-worthy yet.  I also have a few ideas for other elements rattling around - but I'm not going to say any specifics 'till I get in a little further with 'em  ;)

I did do a bit of research on gloves, and there really aren't very many good cheap options out there  :(  Here's two I rustled up:

http://www.amazon.com/Ladies-Womens-Genuine-Leather-Gloves/dp/B006ZMNYBY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Stitch-Pretty-Screen-Texting/dp/B00FFD4LUM/ref=sr_1_254?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1396838998&sr=1-254&keywords=gloves+leather

The first one is "leather" and I think it looks all right, but I'm worried it'll be baggy - I have leetle hands and the gloves will need to fit well for my fingerplates.  The second one I dunno if it'll be too fabric-y for Mando gloves, but I like having the touchscreen option open.

You guys have any thoughts/suggestions/other options?  I'd prefer to keep them cheap if at all possible; I really don't have $40 to drop on expensive gloves right now  :(

Talev

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #17 on: Apr 09, 2014, 11:57 AM »
You could find fingerless gloves and attach the top claw with a loop to your fingers (that's the same technique used with metal plate gloves that don't cover the whole hand)?
Fingerless gloves tend to be a bit tighter and fitt better, you can actually touch things and not be totally helpless when in gloves and you still can keep your claws.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #18 on: Apr 09, 2014, 03:29 PM »
Hmm, that's an idea, but I dunno if I like the fingerless look.  I'm gonna hit a few thrift stores, see if I can't rustle anything up.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #19 on: Aug 13, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Rise!  Rise from the grave!  Muahaha!

Yes, despite a months-long absence, I have actually made progress!  First order of business: my new gloves.

I lucked out when I found these in a thrift store.  They're real leather, which means they work on a touchscreen - definitely a bonus.  Also, they came lined with rabbit fur; I pulled all that out, and plan to reuse it elsewhere.

I have also made a significant dent into cutting and shaping my plates.  Aside from my cod and gauntlets, I have everything cut out, and I have several pieces formed.

Also I have my hand plates cut out and formed, though I have no idea how I'm going to attach them to my gloves.  I'm thinking bolts, or something of the sort, but I dunno.  Anyone with hand-plate-attaching experience wanna weigh in here?

Will have more progress to show shortly, as soon as I get pics.  Also gotta wait for the weather to clear up before I can start painting!

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #20 on: Aug 13, 2014, 11:49 PM »
I "attached" my hand plates with a bit of elastic that stretches around my palm and holds the plate in place.  Granted I only made plates that cover the back of my hand, not my fingers.  I found that fabric glue DOES NOT hold on sintra at all.  I actually ended up using super glue and it's holding up great as I test and re-test my attachments.  I'm aware of some heat activated glue strips that you can buy at fabric stores; basically put the glue strip between the two pieces you want to attach and then run an iron over it for a minute or so, I don't know how this would work with leather and plastic but it's an idea.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Werde

« Reply #21 on: Aug 14, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Barges leather adhesive is great, but I am unsure how it would react with plastics.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #22 on: Aug 14, 2014, 12:28 AM »
Hm, I hadn't thought of using glues, but it's a great idea.  I'll have to look into those; thanks for the suggestions!

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #23 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:51 AM »
Love the hand plates ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #24 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:22 PM »
Thanks Niabi!

Hokay, time for another update!  I have finally made progress on my softs - ordered this flightsuit in charcoal and it came in today:

http://www.viccouniforms.com/Red-Kap-CT10-Twill-Action-Back-Coveralls.html

I'm 5'5"; I ordered a size 34.  Mostly picked this one because it was the smallest coverall I could find on the internet in the right color!  It seems to fit fairly well in the torso, which is good; arms are too long and both arms and legs are baggy, so they'll both need to be tailored.

I'm planning on removing the back pockets, and I'm going to have a kama that wraps about half/three quarters around the front of my thigh.  I'm not planning on making thigh plates at this point.  So I have two questions:  1) What should I do with the double front pockets, and 2) Can I keep the back instrument pockets as knife sheaths?  'Cause I think that'd be cool, and it'd save me having to sew them on elsewhere.

Some old softs/accessories, some new.  The four little belts are dog collars - gonna chop 'em up and use 'em to attach my shnees.  Shamelessly stole the idea from Vhett Naast :D  The other belts may or may not be used - most likely will be underbelts to hang my kama/cod off of.  Speaking of which, I still need to design/cut out/form my cod :(

Inflate-a-mando!  'cept for my cod and my gaunts, all of my plates are cut.  Most are formed how I want them, but I'm still fighting with my chestplates.  Once I get them symmetrical, I'll post a sizing/placement pic.

Closeups of chest/top half armor.  Can't really see the lopsidedness, but trust me, it's there.

Shnees!  Happy with how these turned out.  Gotta figure out how to mount the leather straps to 'em, though.  Don't wanna punch screws through the top - maybe I'll glue them to the underside?  In any case, they still need bondo work in the seams.  Lots of bondo work.  Sigh.

Gotta do:

Softs:
Flak Vest - Order from Sidi Ren (when she opens back up again  :( )
Flightsuit - tailor
Girth - make
Belts - get
Kama - design/sew

Hards:
Cod - Design/Cut/Form
Chestplates - Reform/glue/bondo
Shnees - Finish bondo, figger out leather strap attachment
Gauntlets - get the ball rolling

Things ready to paint: (gotta wait for less humid weather, blah)
Hands
Biceps
Shoulders
Boots
Collar/Belly/Diamond (wait 'till chests are done?)

Totally not a comprehensive list.  Will add and remove as I get things done/get closer to getting them done/think about getting them done...

Have I mentioned yet that this is a long-term project?  :laugh:

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!