Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kavryn Falco - Upgrades & Stuff [Last Update Pg. 15]

• 219 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Kavryn WIP
« Reply #25 on: Aug 27, 2014, 09:32 PM »
While the bagginess may need to be taken in, the extra length could be useful. I've stirruped my flightsuit legs to keep them in my boots. Not got around to it yet, but I'm planning to use my still slightly too long sleeves to put thumb holes in, to stop the flightsuit sleeves from working themselves free of my gloves.

Your kama will likely cover most of the front pockets, but they aren't zip closed so they should be fine left as they are. Using the back ones for knife sheaths sounds like a sensible idea to me and I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #26 on: Aug 27, 2014, 10:17 PM »
Didn't mention it earlier (probably should have  :blank:) but I do plan on stirruping the pant legs - they'd pull out of my boots if I didn't.  Hadn't thought about doing it for the sleeves, though.  I might have to give it a try - and if it doesn't work, I can always just chop it off and hem it like I was going to  :laugh:

Okay, good to know.  I was thinking flightsuit pockets had to be removed, but maybe I was remembering wrong?  I unno.  The less I have to modify this thing, the better. :P

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2014, 10:21 PM by Kavryn » Logged

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #27 on: Aug 28, 2014, 06:50 AM »
As far as I can remember, it's only zipped pockets that need to go. Anything else I believe is fine - since Boba had pockets on his it seems silly to have to remove them all. Most people just get rid of them because they sit under armour and can be uncomfortable.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Aug 28, 2014, 09:00 AM »
Ahh, okay.  Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Canderous Falco

• I'm the memer they call when things go wrong.
« Reply #29 on: Aug 28, 2014, 04:36 PM »
Yeah, zipper pockets were the big issue; a real annoyance for me, because I was using a black flight suit that I had in the Army, and those stupid things have zippers EVERYWHERE.... so I've scratched that idea, and am going more the route that you are with civilian coveralls.

This looks SUPER cool... Can't wait to see it painted and slapped together! Keep up the good work!

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #30 on: Aug 29, 2014, 12:33 PM »
Thanks vod!

So it turns out that in a fight between red sharpie and white primer... You should probably bet on the sharpie.  Painting is on hold til I sand my plates back down and get rid of the sharpie writing  :(

Canderous Falco

« Reply #31 on: Aug 29, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Try alcohol swabs first, you won't have to sand as much.

« Reply #32 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Or, you could skip the white primer altogether, and go with grey....it will kick red sharpies butt, and also looks good under metallics.  Same for black.

Canderous Falco

« Reply #33 on: Aug 29, 2014, 07:53 PM »
Good point. I only use grey primer; never felt the need for white....

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #34 on: Sep 01, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Good idea - I'll definitely try the gray.

So I bought materials for my girth belt, including a white cotton/polypropylene clothesline.  I bought red and black rit dye, hoping to dye it maroon.  I heated up the water on the stove, filled a 3-gallon bucket, added a cup of salt, and put in most of the red and about half the black.  Stirred for an hour, rinsed the rope... and all my dye washed out. :'(

Reading the rit website, it appears that I should have: 1) added a squirt of dish detergent, 2) added the salt 5 minutes after I added the line to the dye, not before, 3) not left it in so long because the dye only works above a certain temp, and 4) used color fixative because it's cotton.

Oops.  To those of you with dyeing experience - did I cover everything?  I'm gonna go back to Walmart and buy more dye and the fixative, but if you have any more advice or tips they'd be much appreciated :D

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #35 on: Sep 07, 2014, 09:37 PM »
Minor update, go!

Am meeting with my tailor Thursday to see about my flightsuit and kama.  Should be fun.

Have minor progress on girth; gonna post all the pics at once once it's done.

Got a gun!  I managed to filch it from my vod'ike - handle doesn't fit in their great big hands but it's perfect for my tiny girl hands  :P  Needs work though; tell me what you think.  Will it work?  Gonna be a large singlehanded pistol, I guess.

Places I'm chopping are gonna be covered with sintra plates.  Gonna attach a scope, of course.  Other than that - do you think that it will be swarsy enough?

Gotta do:

Softs:
Flak Vest - Order from Sidi Ren (when she opens back up again  :( )
Belts - get
Flightsuit - meet with tailor
Girth - half done, gotta break out sewing machine (eep)
Kama - meet with tailor

Hards:
Cod - Design/Cut/Form
Chestplates - Reform/glue/bondo
Shnees - Finish bondo, figger out leather strap attachment
Gauntlets - get the ball rolling
Boots: reform :(

Things ready to paint: (need grey primer)
Hands
Biceps
Shoulders
Collar/Belly/Diamond (wait 'till chests are done)

Hurty things:
Claws - mostly done, gotta paint & attach
Shooty thing - swarsy enough?
'Splodey things - paint, attach to belts
Stabby things - cut, glue, bondo, paint
Bes'bev - cut, paint

Lol, I got a lotta weapons  :P

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #36 on: Sep 08, 2014, 12:13 AM »
that is an interesting looking pistol.  It'll look great once it's cut up and painted I'm sure.  I don't know how confident you are in your fabrication skills, but if you can, I'd try and keep that clear plastic clear.  Try taking apart the toy and painting the pieces that you'd see through the plastic to match the colors that you're painting the shell...or if your really ambitious, run some LEDs in there and make it look epic

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Canderous Falco

« Reply #37 on: Sep 08, 2014, 09:57 PM »
I think it really has potential!

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #38 on: Sep 09, 2014, 09:03 AM »
this kit looks dangerous! can't wait to see it finished!

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #39 on: Sep 09, 2014, 09:53 AM »
Thanks, Ronin.  Yours is one of my favorite kits, so that means a lot to me  :)

I think the gun should work, once I start chopping it apart.  I hadn't thought of leaving the clear unpainted... We'll see.  When you pull the trigger, that bit lights up with leds -sometimes- and makes sound -sometimes- and is supposed to spin, but doesn't anymore.  In addition, when I chop off the bottom of the grip I'll be cutting into the battery compartment.  I thought about leaving the guts intact, but the thing is half broken anyway, and I have ZERO electronics experience to rewire it.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #40 on: Sep 12, 2014, 08:04 PM »
Another minor update!

Met with my tailor, and flightsuit is tentatively done.  Will post pics of fit later, but lighting is too bad to take them now.  Will be meeting with her again sometime within the next few weeks to draft/begin my kama.  Have black duck cloth for that; need to pick up bias tape for the edges.

About 75% done with girth belt.  Will post a picture dump when it's done.  Gotta say though, for being the first thing I've sewn all by myself in probably ten years, it's turning out pretty okay  ;D

Also bought a great big man belt to mod into a bandolier.  Thought I'd have to buy two, but the men's department has me covered  :laugh:  Still need a regular belt, though.

Canderous Falco

« Reply #41 on: Sep 12, 2014, 11:25 PM »
Yeah, fat guy belts rock. Idk what stores would do with 60"+ belts if people weren't making bandoleers with them....

Sl3nd3rMan99

• Im not judging you... Im just observing.
« Reply #42 on: Sep 19, 2014, 09:38 PM »
I really like how your lady Mando is turning out :), Ik not the first to say it, but I too love the glove idea you got going on :P.

You will feel my wrath mandalorians, for i am Iota! the Mandalorian hunter!

Nia Kad Runi

• Momma Mando
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #43 on: Sep 22, 2014, 09:01 PM »
I'm just jumping in hoping that you've made some progress on the claw gloves -- LOVE them.  I had a slightly similar (but in no way similarly cool) idea and I was curious how you were working out the attachment issue.  I'd decided I'd use elastic and glue, but hadn't gotten my gloves yet to start trials.   

My WIP - female armor http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=topics;u=25453

My Ursa Wren build http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=128908.0

501st - Legacy Stormtrooper  
Rebel Legion & 501st - Jawa

EMTS #153
Brigade- Special Ops: Assassin

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #44 on: Sep 23, 2014, 07:01 AM »
I've actually just started to prep them for painting, but I haven't attached them or anything yet.  I was going to try superglue, actually - elastic might work for the hand plates, but the finger plates are far too small.

I've actually made a bit of progress on quite a few things, so I'll be posting an update soon enough.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #45 on: Sep 23, 2014, 11:12 PM »
Picture time!

Got my flightsuit tailored and elastic stirrups attached.  We totally forgot to take in the arms, so that may still need to be done - I have to meet with her again anyway to draft my kama.

Apologies for the lighting :laugh:  You may notice the girthbelt - I'm taking the design pretty directly from Barbarossa Kad's awesome girthbelt.  Mine is wearable at this point, but it needs the ends covered and those strips added.  I'll post closeups of it when it's finished.

Got some painting done:

Primered & Silvered the boots, biceps, & shoulders.  Also primered the hands, but didn't take pics.

New things!

Made a stabby:

Is glued together - need to bondo and sand it now.

Templated a backplate:

Does this cover enough space?  I can add a secondary lower back plate if needed, but I kinda like it the way it is.

Templated a gaunt:

The last pic is the gauntlet cut out - was thinking of having it be a single piece that overlaps on one side, like a spiral.  No attachment needed, and it could flex when I need to get my hands in and out.  Thoughts?

Immediate-future plans:
-Cut out cod
-Form cod, gaunt, back
-Reform chestplate (again, ugh)
-Primer & silver plates as they get finished
-Bondo shnees & stabby

Soon-future plans:
-Draft Kama
-Order Helmet
-Work on shooty & 'splodey
-Draft & make neck armor

Gotta do:

Softs:
Flak Vest - Order from Sidi Ren (when she opens back up again  :( )
Belts - get
Flightsuit - Provisionally done; may need to take in arms
Girth - 75% done; going to have to hand-sew the rest
Kama - meet with tailor

Hards:
Cod - Design/Cut/Form
Back - Design/Cut/Form
Neck armor - Design/Cut/Form
Chestplates - Reform/glue/bondo
Shnees - Finish bondo, figger out leather strap attachment
Gauntlets - Form, cut #2
Boots: reform Done, ready to paint!

Things ready to paint:
Hands - Primered
Boots, Biceps, Shoulders - Primered & Silvered (wait on rest of plates for color)

Collar/Belly/Diamond (wait 'till chests are done)

Hurty things:
Claws - mostly done, gotta finish painting & attach
Shooty thing - chop up and glue
'Splodey things - paint, attach to belts
Stabby thing - cut, glue, bondo, paint
Bes'bev - cut, paint

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #46 on: Sep 23, 2014, 11:23 PM »
I am very much a fan of that double shoulder. This is going to be an outstanding kit!

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #47 on: Sep 24, 2014, 06:09 AM »
I'd say the back plate is definitely too small. It needs to be about 1.5 times longer, and will need to go at least two inches added to each side.

Everything else looks perfect though, I'd maybe suggest cap off the end of the cord on the girth to clean it up a bit but not super important.

I also love your gaunt. would tie in very nicely with some deathwatch style thigh armour.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #48 on: Sep 26, 2014, 03:26 PM »
yuuuuup Id agree that the back plate is to small :(

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Canderous Falco

« Reply #49 on: Sep 26, 2014, 09:16 PM »
^^ What they said ^^

Looks kinda like an Ewok got jacked for his back armor. Great shape, though- and I don't think you'd need the extra bottom piece you mentioned if you don't want to, it's just a touch on the miniature size.

EVERYTHING ELSE LOOKS AMAZING!!! LOVE THE KNIFE!!!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!