Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D Printed Lightsaber

• 29 Replies

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
Re: 3D Printed Lightsaber
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Really cool idea. I have popcorn here to watch this come together. So cool!  :P

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:09 PM »
The head of our maker space has access to chroming. So I am going to sand off the paint from the part I painted. And am going to bondo and sand all the pieces to as smooth as I can so they can all be chromed, and then paint the black over the chrome.

I think this will give it a great look.
Is the chroming service something that's available to members of the makerspace?

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:27 PM »
No. It's a favor is is doing for me.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I haven't had a chance to work on the light saber this last week but I was able to get a few more parts printed out.
Only one more part then they will all be printed. So far two of the parts are ready for chroming.

I am on the lookout for some small files to finish the rest of the parts as they have a lot of fine detail.

The last part should be printed out tomorrow.

here is a pic of the top 3 parts put together to get an idea of what it will look like.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Is the chroming service something that's available to members of the makerspace?

After talking with the head of our space it is actually a simple process so there is a good chance it will be available.
We are in the works on getting a new building so hopefully in the next few months we will have the space up and running.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 08:44 PM by AdenWerda » Logged

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:14 PM »
These look great so far :)

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Parts are coming out real nicely, did you tap the threads on, or was that printed?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

Does your signature look cut off? Here's why!
« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Parts are coming out real nicely, did you tap the threads on, or was that printed?
its all printed

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2014, 10:01 PM »
The last part finished printing last night.
Here is what it looks like all together, Now I just have to finish cleaning it up with bondo and then to have it Chromed.

« Reply #25 on: Apr 30, 2014, 05:55 PM »
This is very cool vod

Now that I have given up hope I feel much better.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #26 on: Apr 30, 2014, 06:00 PM »
Just curious, what sort of print resolution is needed to achieve threaded parts?

The Rules and Guides board has everything you need to learn how to utilize the forums!

« Reply #27 on: Apr 30, 2014, 06:21 PM »
Just curious, what sort of print resolution is needed to achieve threaded parts?

This print was using a .15mm layer height.

This green is our best looking filament. It takes a lot of tweaking to get it to the point where it is very smooth and where the supports break off somewhat easy..lol
It still took a LOT of cleaning up. I have to get some more bondo but im hoping to get it chromed next week.

Thaxos

« Reply #28 on: Apr 30, 2014, 06:22 PM »
It takes a lot of tweaking to get it to the point where it is very smooth and where the supports break off somewhat easy..lol
It still took a LOT of cleaning up.

I can imagine it would be a lot of work, but it certainly looks like it was well worth the effort put in!

Sunda Colugo

• Do or do not ... there is no try.
« Reply #29 on: Jun 04, 2014, 09:57 AM »
This is awesome!  I am thinking about printing one myself.  Do you think that I could print this on a MakerBot 2?  It can only print 6 X 6 X 11 inches.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!