Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

3D Printed Lightsaber

• 29 Replies
3D Printed Lightsaber
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:33 PM »
I am working on my first project and first part of my costume a 3D printed lightsaber.

here is a rendering of the lightsaber

I started printing the first 2 parts of the lightsaber

If the prints do not fail I should have all the parts finished by Monday and can start cleaning them up and painting them.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
Re: 3D Printed Lightsaber
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 09:36 PM »
Should be cool to see ... I hope it Work out for you ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:00 PM »
I am working on my first project and first part of my costume a 3D printed lightsaber.

Not sure if you are planning on this for your Mando costume, but I would like to point something out:

Lightsabers: Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies or tools. No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla).

That is from the CRLs found here: Required Components for MODERN ERA COSTUME It is for modern era, but the part about lightsabers applies to all eras. For reasons why it is allowed, but discouraged, I direct you to the following thread that explains it way better than I could: Lightsabers - Some advice

“There’s no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes.” – The Fourth Doctor

Aliit ori’shya tal’din -"Family is more than blood"
This is the Way
« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:21 PM »
The idea I had for my Mando is that he will be a Jedi Hunter.
I plan to make a few different styles of lightsabers "hilts" to have as trophies.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Not sure if you are planning on this for your Mando costume, but I would like to point something out:

Lightsabers: Lightsaber/darksaber hilts may be worn as trophies or tools. No full bladed lightsabers/darksabers may be carried unless your character is portraying an *in-canon* lightsaber/darksaber wielding mando (i.e., Bardan Jusik, Kad Skirata, Pre Viszla).

That is from the CRLs found here: Required Components for MODERN ERA COSTUME It is for modern era, but the part about lightsabers applies to all eras. For reasons why it is allowed, but discouraged, I direct you to the following thread that explains it way better than I could: Lightsabers - Some advice
I'm wagering that's what he intends to do.  Hopefully...

That said, Aden, many of us like our lightsaber trophies.  If you could print these to order, I'm sure many of us would be willing to order a few from you. :D

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:32 PM »
I'm wagering that's what he intends to do.  Hopefully...

That said, Aden, many of us like our lightsaber trophies.  If you could print these to order, I'm sure many of us would be willing to order a few from you. :D

That shouldn't be a problem  ;D

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Just to give a friendly tip...any long sections of tube will benefit from generating support material when you slice them.
This increases the print time and filament used dramatically but after having some gun barrels collapse on me I'd recommend it lol

« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2014, 01:10 PM »
I have been making it a practice to have a 10-15% infill for support and with this print since I do plan on sanding it I am printing all the parts with 3 layered walls that way i have some extra support there as well.

« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2014, 08:56 PM »
The first part printed out nice. We had to split it into two parts and glue it together. but im happy with it. Now time to print the others and start sanding this thing to a glass like finish...lol

« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2014, 02:00 AM »
That's come out really well  :D

Are you printing with ABS? If so what temps are you using?

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:20 AM »
This is looking fantastic.

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #11 on: Apr 06, 2014, 08:28 AM »
That's come out really well  :D

Are you printing with ABS? If so what temps are you using?

Ya its ABS, I believe 3mm and is printed on a BukoBot v2. Im not sure of the settings. A friend at the Makerspace we are starting is the 3D Print guy. Ill ask him what temp he is running.

« Reply #12 on: Apr 08, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I finished painting the first piece. it turned out real nice.
I left some imperfections in it as this is supposed to be a metal.

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #13 on: Apr 08, 2014, 06:42 PM »
Going to keep an eye on this to see how it progresses.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2014, 08:56 PM »
The head of our maker space has access to chroming. So I am going to sand off the paint from the part I painted. And am going to bondo and sand all the pieces to as smooth as I can so they can all be chromed, and then paint the black over the chrome.

I think this will give it a great look.

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #15 on: Apr 12, 2014, 09:20 PM »
Really cool idea. I have popcorn here to watch this come together. So cool!  :P

Blackbird

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:09 PM »
The head of our maker space has access to chroming. So I am going to sand off the paint from the part I painted. And am going to bondo and sand all the pieces to as smooth as I can so they can all be chromed, and then paint the black over the chrome.

I think this will give it a great look.
Is the chroming service something that's available to members of the makerspace?

^ Poorly worded comment.
11/3/11
Merc #531
« Reply #17 on: Apr 12, 2014, 10:27 PM »
No. It's a favor is is doing for me.

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:31 PM »
I haven't had a chance to work on the light saber this last week but I was able to get a few more parts printed out.
Only one more part then they will all be printed. So far two of the parts are ready for chroming.

I am on the lookout for some small files to finish the rest of the parts as they have a lot of fine detail.

The last part should be printed out tomorrow.

here is a pic of the top 3 parts put together to get an idea of what it will look like.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 22, 2014, 08:34 PM »
Is the chroming service something that's available to members of the makerspace?

After talking with the head of our space it is actually a simple process so there is a good chance it will be available.
We are in the works on getting a new building so hopefully in the next few months we will have the space up and running.

« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014, 08:44 PM by AdenWerda » Logged

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #20 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:14 PM »
These look great so far :)

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

Thaxos

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #21 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Parts are coming out real nicely, did you tap the threads on, or was that printed?

« Reply #22 on: Apr 23, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Parts are coming out real nicely, did you tap the threads on, or was that printed?
its all printed

« Reply #23 on: Apr 24, 2014, 10:01 PM »
The last part finished printing last night.
Here is what it looks like all together, Now I just have to finish cleaning it up with bondo and then to have it Chromed.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!