Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

power for fans and other things

• 8 Replies
power for fans and other things
« on: Apr 08, 2014, 02:13 PM »
i was thinking about using a rechargeable 11.1 volt 2200mah battery and some step down Voltage Regulator's to power my kit so i'm not always buying 9v batteries. http://www.robotshop.com/en/dfrobot-dc-to-dc-step-up-voltage-regulator.html http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7636
what do you guys think?

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
Re: power for fans and other things
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2014, 12:54 PM »
I think that is pretty awesome! I was imagining something similar myself. I see no reason not to use rechargeable batteries when available. The only issue would be routing/placement of the battery pack and such.

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2014, 02:50 PM »
The battery pack is actually kinda small, maybe 4.5x1.5x1 inches. But that's a step UP converter, you want a step DOWN so you don't fry whatever gear you hook it up to, that's an 11.1 volt battery pack, vod. You may want to check into making a board that will allow you to split that power off to several items, or pick up a step down regulator with multiple output lines.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #3 on: Apr 15, 2014, 03:13 PM »
The battery pack is actually kinda small, maybe 4.5x1.5x1 inches. But that's a step UP converter, you want a step DOWN so you don't fry whatever gear you hook it up to, that's an 11.1 volt battery pack, vod. You may want to check into making a board that will allow you to split that power off to several items, or pick up a step down regulator with multiple output lines.

I also noticed that but assumed it was just an error. I definitely agree with multiple outputs.

As far as 4.5" inches being small, I have some concerns. It will have to be vertical in the bucket, which probably won't be a problem, but it makes horizontal mounting almost impossible. Just make sure that wherever you mount it, the weight distribution is good. You don't want the left side of your bucket hanging down because all the electronics are weighing it down.

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2014, 12:06 AM »
i planed on not putting the battery in my bucket but more like in a pouch on my belt or in a backpack

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Pouch or backpack is definitely a good idea, it's not like the wires are that thick, so it should be easy to run them up to a board in your bucket, then out to whatever you need to power.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
« Reply #6 on: Apr 18, 2014, 08:48 AM »
That's true and probably a good idea. But I've always worried about having the wires ran externally. I thought it would plague the removal of my bucket too much.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 18, 2014, 10:01 AM »
I saw someone put a plug/socket thing in the middle of their wire so they could disconnect it when the bucket was off - maybe that'd work for you?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7
« Reply #8 on: Apr 18, 2014, 05:15 PM »
I saw someone put a plug/socket thing in the middle of their wire so they could disconnect it when the bucket was off - maybe that'd work for you?

This is really easy to do, and would probably solve the problem for ya

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!