Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mal Jendri, mercenary of Rekkiad (armor build W.I.P, partially pic-heavy)

• 6 Replies

Swift_Justice

• just a simple merc trying to make his way
(if this thread is in the wrong area i vastly apologize! but i looked for an hour for the right section and i was more than sure this was it)

hello my vod's and...vod's! (my mando'a isn't too good just yet =T)

i thought i'd show you all my first set of armor i'm currently working on for my character, Malcolm "swift justice" Jendri! :D

(a bit of back-story to my plans)
i'm a huge swotr player (currently a level 22 bounty hunter) and i love the look of both the old republic style mandalorian and the legacy era mando's, so i'm trying to make an amalgamation of what all my favorite parts of both types of armor are as kind of a "transitional" look as if i'm in the process of upgrading my armor as i go, i also want to try an armor set similar to Sabine Wren whereas i don't have a lot of armor, but enough to obviously be protective, my goal is to wear this around motor city comic con this year.

i'll start with my bucket, since that's what i worked on first!

the design i wanted was a helmet that's seen some bad weather (considering Rekkiad is a frozen ice planet, i can't imagine the weather being the greatest) and i feel i achieved that pretty well ^_^ the two white stripes symbolize the "twin spears" that clan Jendri from the old republic novels lived near and protected on Rekkiad

i didn't photo document much of my processes, but i did take sample photos of me test-wearing the base rubie's jango 2-piece after bondoing the seems and earcaps as well as bringing the cheeks in via heat-gun and popsicle sticks for support (many thanks to Drakus Cin'Ciri for helping with the step-by-step instructions on how to do that! the helmet looks SO much nicer with the cheeks brought in) and a shot of the helmet after i sanded and basecoated following a couple coats of silver

and here's the finished shots!

next up is my gauntlets, these are made from some old Adidas shin guards for i don't even remember what sport XP i know it's not the neatest look, but i rather love the Velcro straps that wrap around as it reminds me of the older era mandalorian arm guards, so i'm gonna keep it :D the right gauntlet houses a flame thrower made from a broken USB adapter and some micro anesthetic darts made from a belt of nails from a nail-gun, and a large toxic dart that ACTUALLY fires, the dart and housing are made from a transformers missile launcher that i shaved the missile down enough to where it looks convincing enough to be a dart! (and actually made it TOO sharp at first, and I've got the marks on my fingers to prove it LOL) the left gauntlet houses a rather large rocket made from an old model rocket parts and a paper towel tube, i then attached it via extra duty Velcro so if i really wanted to i can easily remove it to look as if I've fired the rocket, I've yet to add the control panel for the rocket because i have a few more things to shop for, including the items to finish said gauntlet control panel, I've also yet to add weathering to the left one as well.

next up, the leg armor! the shinguards are soccer pads and the kneepads are from cut off parts from other sports padding (i do plan on thigh armor but i've misplaced the pieces i had in mind in my closet of costume stuff)

here's what i have so far for chest armor, i intend to cut chest and back plates from a $1 store trash bin and rivet or snap them onto the football padding

and here's what i will be wearing under the armor! the shirt is actually made of two seperate shirts, one being a long-sleeve with the left sleeve torn and ripped off, and the outter shirt being a form-fitting athletic T-shirt, the torn cloak is from a double XL shirt, the pants are just basic tan jeans i've had for a while

and finally, weapons! my main weapon is a grenade launcher that shoots micro versons of void-7 seismic charges, base gun was a nerf slingfire with added scope

and as backups, i have in two westarr-style double-barrel pistols made from nerf doubledowns with holsters for my belt (literally bought these yesterday, so i've had no time to work on them yet)

let me know what you guys think so far! :D

Dead or alive, payment or none, i'll bring you in whatever way i need to, that's a promise.
You might want to refrain from the sports armor. quoted from http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=14

Sports Armor:
"Until further notice, ALL visible sports armor up to and including soccer shin guards and any combination sport or SWAT/Military/Occupational foot/shin/knee pads will not be accepted by any new applicants who wish to apply for Official Membership within the MMCC, unless used as plate carriers and are modified beyond the normal earthy appearance of the stock piece.  This also includes any of the above style padding used in Expanded Universe artwork by non-Mandalorian characters."
Plates should be sized correctly so that they are proportionate to your body size.

And I will say the same thing I told one of the guys in my clan, the nerf ness of your gun is still very much there. Take a look around the weapons section for nerf mods

Negativity aside, helmet looks good.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Celebration Chicago Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity 267th Rapid Assault
You might want to refrain from the sports armor. quoted from http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?action=ezportal;sa=page;p=14

Sports Armor:
"Until further notice, ALL visible sports armor up to and including soccer shin guards and any combination sport or SWAT/Military/Occupational foot/shin/knee pads will not be accepted by any new applicants who wish to apply for Official Membership within the MMCC, unless used as plate carriers and are modified beyond the normal earthy appearance of the stock piece.  This also includes any of the above style padding used in Expanded Universe artwork by non-Mandalorian characters."
Plates should be sized correctly so that they are proportionate to your body size.

And I will say the same thing I told one of the guys in my clan, the nerf ness of your gun is still very much there. Take a look around the weapons section for nerf mods

yeah all this. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Swift_Justice

• just a simple merc trying to make his way

Sports Armor:

Oh, i kind of wasn't looking for a club-approved costume, mainly because i'm broke and don't have the cash or materials to make the real thing, this is just something i wanted to do for fun, i plan on making a full guideline appropriote suit, this isn't it, i appriciate the criticism though, now i know what NOT to do for my next one.

Dead or alive, payment or none, i'll bring you in whatever way i need to, that's a promise.
I found my suit isn't actually costing me very much. I'm not saying don't build this, but when you make another.  A 4'x8' sheet of 3mm sintra is 50$ at my local sign store and that's enough to do my entire suit and still have leftovers.  The other costs are nylon strapping, buckles, rivets, and spray paint mainly.  I'm spreading out my cost over time so it's barely making a dent in my pocket.

Also I think it will be interesting to see where this build ends up.  One thing I would do though is tone down the rocket size on your gaunt.  That rocket looks like it belongs on the top of your rocket pack and instead your arm.  You could always replace it with a piece of pvc that you could paint as a flamethrower nozzle.

Oh, i kind of wasn't looking for a club-approved costume, mainly because i'm broke and don't have the cash or materials to make the real thing, this is just something i wanted to do for fun, i plan on making a full guideline appropriote suit, this isn't it, i appriciate the criticism though, now i know what NOT to do for my next one.
i understand the broke piece. I lost my job 2 months ago. Everything I've been building with is actually scrap metal from washing machines and refrigerators laying around.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
I'm going to interject here for a moment as I enjoy thinking outside of the box when it comes to found parts and here is my suggestion even if you are a broke person there are many ways to make an approvable Kit on a low budget. If you choose to use the sports padding as a base layer my suggestion is to use the legacy templates to create your hard parts and attach those plates to your sports armor as I have asked the app team in the past about that very thing! I have some fox racing body armor that I in fact specifically asked about and was told it was good for legacy only as it would be too much trouble otherwise.

Secondly it's more fun to make an approvable Kit the first time and then make random kits after that to include crossover kits and kits just for the heck of it because the techniques you learn from making the first approvable Kit are invaluable for anything else you make.

If you choose to not take to heart our advice here I would direct you to the unofficial costumes section here on our forums as that is where you will find the most advantageous position to gain additional assistance in building your learning Kit; however, if you want to continue in the normal threads it's probably a good idea to try to work with us because we are here to help. I've helped make four other people's kits since I started I've made two myself one which cost me less than $40 in entirety as I found majority of it at a second hand building supply, my current Kit being my official Kit as the original ended up not making it to completeness due in part by me snapping plates as I attachrd them so I could become official set me back. I went from Jango style plates to legacy plates and probably won't go back because I'm a big guy at 282 pounds and am 52 inches around at the chest. I'm using 5 gallon buckets I got for free for my next set of armor at they were readily available and best part is they didn't have to hold water for me to use them!

Basically welcome to the forums and please consider that we OMs understand life happens and we're here to help and give you the best advice from our experiences as we've been in your shoes ourselves and can relate. Oya Vod and I look forward to your progress.

Edited to note that you're obviously looking into legacy armor as you're in the legacy section ;D

« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2015, 03:12 AM by Bowfanny » Logged

QMU#084

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!