Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Ronan's Legacy Armor !!Approved pics on page 6!!

• 107 Replies

Ronan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Ronan's Legacy Armor !!Approved pics on page 6!!
« on: Apr 23, 2014, 10:24 AM »
I decided to try to build some legacy armor.  I'm a big guy so it seemed a good fit.  I used the template on here and added a few inches on the sides.  I plan to be a Shock Infantry

Keyaroscuro

• Do what you love, love what you do.
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Ronan's Legacy Armor
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2014, 01:48 PM »
I love Legacy! I'm just not an expert at it since my kit is a hybrid Modern/Legacy. :laugh: I'm building full Legacy plates for my cousin, though, so I'll keep an eye out on what you're up to.  :P

« Reply #2 on: Apr 26, 2014, 11:16 AM »
God! That looks easy.  Why did I choose a canon character with boobs??

#womanproblems

Ne'tra gal mesh'la, jat'isyc, bal, wayii, jahaal'got

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #3 on: Apr 26, 2014, 02:46 PM »
off to a good start.
The Krayt Clan leadership is still learning about he CRLs for Legacy armor. but we'll try to help if we can.

Keep at it vod

Ronan

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions 15+ clan level invasions 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Gut the front pieces cut out and shaped.  Need to sand it down now.  Ill take pics of the pieces, but here is a pic of before I cut them.  They are on a barrel.

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 15+ clan level invasions Award for 75 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 04:50 PM »
good luck with it ner'vod!

Not that i think you can't cut it out, but the shaping of the plates is what worries me.
I look forward to your progress

Ronan

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I actually already shaped them it was really easy.  I was just waiting till I got pics to mention it.  I cranked my oven to broil and popped them in for 15-20 secs on a cookie sheet.  Then shaped them and put them in the freezer.  They really hold shape well.

Ronan

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 02:04 AM »
Ok did a test fit.  Still need to do some trimming but it's getting there.

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 03:15 AM »
Have you thought about how you're going to attach it? Are you going to glue the plates together? Or are you going to make it flexible? Personally flexible is my choice, gluing makes it hard to bend over, and move.

I would form those plates a little tighter against your chest, and trim a little off the collar plates, the template (in my opinion should really be more at a slight angle, like the Drake style... It tends to fit a little better.

Are you going to have a floating diamond? Or use a plate to line the back of the chest plates, filling in the diamond hole?

As for CRLs, it's basically modern, so you will need a vest... Over all looks good.

Ronan

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 10:17 AM »
I was thinking of attaching them with rivets and webbing.  I will leave a very slight gap between them.  Trimming the collar is on my list, I want it all to fit together nicely.   I also need to trim the sides so they all match up nicely.  I'm going to make a flack vest for it and then velcro behind the plates.  The Diamond I will fill in and have a very slight gap like the plates.  Maybe even a LED diamond.

I plan on doing a back plate in the same overall shape as the front, just one piece, no sections.

The overall feel of mine is a walking tank. 

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 07:02 PM »
I will leave a very slight gap between them....

I also need to trim the sides so they all match up nicely.  I'm going to make a flack vest for it and then velcro behind the plates. 

Most don't leave a gap between the plates, legacy is more of a overlapping style - not saying you have to, but with the small amount of overlapping it makes it so you can move a little better. I can post pictures if you would like to see them.

Looks like you got it planned out, just putting my $.02 out there... I've made a number of legacy kits and tutorials; I've done a little bit of everything concerning assembly...

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:12 PM »
Legacy chestplates are independent, but abutted.  You can do a uniboob plate, but they look better separated.  The ab plates do overlap, though, so you're on track with that.

Go ahead and run with the bolt-and-strap method.  I welded mine together on the backside, and while the stability is fantastic, the lack of flexibility makes it slightly cumbersome.  Not horribly so, mind you, but if I had to do it again, I'd keep them separate.

Ronan

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2014, 12:37 AM »
Most don't leave a gap between the plates, legacy is more of a overlapping style - not saying you have to, but with the small amount of overlapping it makes it so you can move a little better. I can post pictures if you would like to see them.

Actually I'd love to see them.  Some reference pics I saw look like they are abutted, some look over lapping.  So I wasn't sure. 

@Cin Vhe'rang - I do think I might change the uniboob to separate.   I was just thinking about doing that earlier, but my saw was dead.

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2014, 09:23 PM »
This is my nephew's plates, they are half the size of an adult, so keep that in mind.

Expanded

Collapsed

I do the same with the back plates I make, so here is an adult sized version:

Expanded

Collapsed

My nephew's was one of the first legacies I assembled, and I have since figured out that if you extend the top layer a little more, it will completely collapse onto itself, making it the width of the chest plates. I wrote a tutorial on how I assemble armor, it's posted here. I know it shows the Drake style, it works well with either style.

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 12:33 AM »
if you look in my thread "Tavic Legacy Assassin" I think i got pics of my armor fitted already. I used glue and webbing. lots of webbing. you'll want all the flexibilty you can get in this thing, trust me.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Ori Cabur

• Old Guard
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 08:22 PM »
As per the approval team, the lower plates do have to overlap. We just had two different mercs in krayt get denied due to not having them overlap.

Keep it up Vod, you're off to a great start

Ronan

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 10:37 AM »
As per the approval team, the lower plates do have to overlap. We just had two different mercs in krayt get denied due to not having them overlap.

Keep it up Vod, you're off to a great start

Have they giving them and written guidelines?  I've been poking around everywhere and haven't found them.
I made the bottom plates overlap and the top plates are butted based on some others I've seen. 
I've started painting The red is a lot more bright, just crappy lighting

For colors I'm thinking Red with some type of white stripe and black flight suit.

This is what gave me the idea.  It's by oneone1111 over on the dented helmet

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 09:15 PM »
It may not be specified to the letter, but when it says to look at references for guidance, no reference has the plates abutted. (With the exception of the two breast plates) everything is layered.

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"

Ronan

« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 01:59 AM »
It may not be specified to the letter, but when it says to look at references for guidance, no reference has the plates abutted. (With the exception of the two breast plates) everything is layered.

Ok I think I'm good then.

So here are a couple designs im thinking about.
What does everyone think?

Red on Tan (khaki)

TrooperJasher

• Squiggle me this...
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 02:09 AM »
Khaki... black is done way too much

Ronin Tavic

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 11:46 AM »
I concur. Red and khaki will give you a more unique look.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Definitely Khaki  ;D

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Ronan

« Reply #23 on: Jul 17, 2014, 01:50 AM »
Sorry haven't updated this as much as a should.  been updating a thread on my clan's forum.

This is the chest piece assembled

Here are the legs & forearms

Shoulders Salvaged these from some old SCA armor I had, so they are actually metal.
 [imghttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7401478/Mando%20Links/2014-06-17%2000.10.14.jpg]http://[/img]

Added velcro to my flack vest and tried on my armor.  Also added snaps for the shoulders.  Flight suit hopefully will be here before the weekend.

Tor'dola Magnus

• Nothing runs... like my Bounty
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Jul 17, 2014, 08:08 AM »
Awesome kit brother, I love legacy kits when they really just WORK.

You don't really want velcro on your vest with Legacy, as Echo (Cin, now, i think?) was trying to say.  Maybe on the top of the shoulders, and at the lowest segment, just to hold everything in a constant place.  If you use the strapping method, too much velcro will cancel out the awesome "bendiness".  Are your shoulders riding under the collar?  You'll want to address that.

This is a great kit, and neither of what I pointed out are in the least bit serious.  Looking forward to more!

Oyacyir de balac, kar'taylir darasuum de gaanader, kyr'amur de bora
"LIVE by chance... LOVE by Choice... KILL by Profession"

E.M.T.S. #083
MAD:036
M.A. #098

ForceHunter WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63712.0

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!