Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clone backpack WIP/idea thread. Help?

• 3 Replies

Kyram Sorenn

• Wampa Clan, Maine
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Clone backpack WIP/idea thread. Help?
« on: May 07, 2014, 01:20 AM »
Ever since I got official I've been thinking about adding some sort of backpack to my kit. Partially for the looks and to fill the empty space that is my backplate, and partially to help carry things/weapon props around throughout the day while I troop.
I was thinking of doing something along the lines of a the clone packs seen throughout the clone wars series:

(please excuse the use of the image, it was just the best I could find to represent what I was thinking.)

Although I have quite a few mods I'd like to make to the design. First, I want to make it a way of showing off hunting trophies. (for beast hunter brigade) By that, I mean replacing the cloth with a patch of white (wampa) fur and hang a few horns/claws out from under the top flap.
Secondly, I want to try and use the pack to mount one of my weapons on the side in a holster or magnetically locked to the side. So one side would be completely or at least mostly flat. I have a variation of the clone dc-15 long rifle and a spear, so a convenient way to carry one or the other throughout the day would help immensely.

First of all however. I have no idea how I would go about building the basic shape of the pack. I have a sheet of 6mm sintra but I'd like to save that for a last option if I could. I already know that I'm going to magnetize the pack to the back plate so that's not a problem. Any ideas or suggestions how to build the base pack?

Six-barreled rotary cannon capable of solving 6,000 problems per minute. I love assault cannons.

FreemanBanana

• Kebii'tra Tracyn
Re: Clone backpack WIP/idea thread. Help?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 08:07 AM »
Pep and fiberglass is probably a good option if you want to dump a ton of time into it. Also, since the pack is large, you can probably mount some large magnets inside without any issue. That way the force will still be strong enough to hold a weapon, even with a bit of pack material in-between it.

My pack I'm working on currently is chip board and fiberglass. That and some reinforcement inside of it. But if you want a hollow pack... probably go with fiberglass and pep. Or resin. You can probably buy a pack kit and mod the sides.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:11 PM »
Thats very cool  8)

Yuuup i reckon poster card and then Fibreglass it ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Kyram Sorenn

• Wampa Clan, Maine
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 09:39 AM »
So, after opting for the easy way, I bought a large rectangular craft container/carrier. It hasbthe basic shape I'm looking for and the size is a bit bog but just right. I will put up pictures of it later after work. I plan to use some 30lb magnets to hold the pack to my backplate for easy removal. I also got a rifle sheath for my blaster and I will rivet it to the side of the back once it's modded.

Six-barreled rotary cannon capable of solving 6,000 problems per minute. I love assault cannons.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!