Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Tutorial: LEDs: Pulse (aka "Fade in/out") using 555 Timer IC

• 6 Replies

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Related to my "Library" post.  http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=76666.0

One of my Vod'e in Murraan asked about a backpack mounted "beacon." So I was thinking this would be a great circuit for that (maybe increase the number of LEDs / change the smaller resistor to make it brighter).

Pulsing or "Fade in/Fade out" LED using a 555 Timer IC
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLAi7hkDuYw

The poster uploaded a schematic (I never learned to read them!  :P )

Parts List (correct me if I incorrectly recorded something)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
breadboard (a small one will do)
some lengths of 20g coated wire
LED (ultra bright)
555 Timer IC
1000 uF (microfarad) capacitor
150 ohm resistor
1200 ohm resistor
a transistor (video is a TO-18/2N2222A NPN transistor with the metal cover, but I think a TO-92/P2N2222 NPN with the black plastic cover should also work fine)

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards EnviroOps Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Tutorial: LEDs: Pulse (aka "Fade in/out") using 555 Timer IC
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:52 AM »
schematics are pretty easy to read.

Wiggly lines with a number next to them : Resistors ( ex above = 150Ohm resistor, 20kOhm resistor, etc )
The symbol with NPN next to it is a Transistor ( basically a switch controlled by electricity, 2 kinds like the example above, NPN and PNP, look into google for more info ).
The symbol with 220uF next to it is a Capacitor, this has a + and a - side, BE CAREFULL when you solder this in, it can pop when you put electricity on it on the wrong side ( if you attach the + of your battery to the - of the capacitor ), although you'd have to have a big enough capacitor and a large enough power supply to have that, BUT STILL BE CAREFULL!!

That arrow that is attached to leg 1 of the IC ( and the bottom arrows ) is to indicate that is where the ground is attached ( basically the "-" of your battery ).

Hope this helps a little :)

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 11:30 AM »
Helps a lot! Thank you!

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 02:57 PM »

The symbol with 220uF next to it is a Capacitor, this has a + and a - side, BE CAREFULL when you solder this in, it can pop when you put electricity on it on the wrong side ( if you attach the + of your battery to the - of the capacitor ), although you'd have to have a big enough capacitor and a large enough power supply to have that, BUT STILL BE CAREFULL!!

Just to embellish this a little further...that is an electrolytic capacitor which does require the correct polarity....the -ve leg of the component will be accompanied by a band(usually grey) on the component.

A ceramic capacitor doesn't have a polarity....it can be mounted either direction.

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards EnviroOps Award for 10 official invasions. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 03:02 PM »
Quite correct Vod!

Example of electrolytic capacitor :

Note the grey band indicating the Minus leg.

example of a ceramic capacitor:

No indicators of + or -.

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 06:13 PM »
If it helps, I have a circuit symbol chart on my site-
http://www.vaevictis.co/tools/circuitsymbols.html

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2015, 10:06 AM »
I have built this circuit but it don't work, after that I did a simulation and got the same result. The left LED flashes for a short moment and after that the right LED is glowing all the time. Does anyone know how to modify the circuit that it works?

Helmets for Sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!