Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Lightwhips?

• 9 Replies
Lightwhips?
« on: May 07, 2014, 05:42 PM »
I know light sabers are a no no but is there any official ruling on the excitability of light whips? 

Will Henderson
Senor Monkey Pants
Re: Lightwhips?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Light Whips use the same technology as Lightsabers, so i'm pretty sure it's a no.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 06:20 PM »
what about the one in the clone wars slavers carried them and they would only shock you really bad

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 06:21 PM »
That might work, but then you get into issues with a weighted prop being swung around.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 06:26 PM »
yeah that could be a problem

Jaing

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Lightwhip would be a no. It's still a Sith or Jedi only weapon and just a variation on a lightsaber, using the same tech to create a flexible blade as opposed to a standard blade.

Kol Hokan

• Armor does not make a warrior, spirit does.
  • Awards Award for 100 official invasions. Special Weapons Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Variations of lightwhips were used by slavers in The Clone Wars and also in other comic and book sources as well.  These lightwhips however conducted a current along cables, so even when not activated it still was a whip and not just a hilt.  This would be a G-canon (now Disney Canon) reference for non-force sensitives using the technology, notably "underworld" use of the weapon - therefore it seems quite plausible for a Mercenary to use one.  At least in my opinion.

Alex Cole .... Clan: Concordia .... CAT#: 0787 .... Brigade#: 278
Concordia Clan Ruus'alor Sol'yc 2018-2020
Concordia Clan Alor'ad 2013-2016
Brigade Marshal 2014-2016
501st: BH-11628 .... TDE: #175 .... RL: Resistance Pilot - Screaming Porgs Squadron
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Variations of lightwhips were used by slavers in The Clone Wars and also in other comic and book sources as well.  These lightwhips however conducted a current along cables, so even when not activated it still was a whip and not just a hilt.  This would be a G-canon (now Disney Canon) reference for non-force sensitives using the technology, notably "underworld" use of the weapon - therefore it seems quite plausible for a Mercenary to use one.  At least in my opinion.

But it's not a light-whip. It's a whip, but it's not a lightsaber whip. And there's also the costuming aspect to consider waving around a giant electrified whip at a con.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 02:34 PM »
But it's not a light-whip. It's a whip, but it's not a lightsaber whip. And there's also the costuming aspect to consider waving around a giant electrified whip at a con.
A novel concept- don't wave it around.  Take it out, pose with it, then put it away.

The best way to rig up something like this would be to line said base whip with EL wire.  I think I've seen one or two in passing, and it worked out pretty well.  I say go for an electro-whip.  Lightwhip's a no-go, though.

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:04 PM »
i was totally going to make one, seems like the perfect melee weapon for a force hunter, according to the wookipedia .

Efforts to compensate for the inherent weaknesses of lightwhips included the addition of tassels composed of solid matter, as Lumiya did with her weapon.[2] These variations in composition also allowed her to attack her opponent on two fronts, as the different behaviors of the energy beams and the solid strands left the weapon highly unpredictable, as well as taking advantage of flaws in Jedi training.

key words take advantage of flaws in jedi training.
and there made out of mandalorian iron.

not trying to make excesses for a sith mando because that's just stupid, but it is the best melee weapon to fight a jedi if they get to close.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!