Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Soft Gear WIP...Update 08/03/2014

• 21 Replies

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Soft Gear WIP...Update 08/03/2014
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:15 PM »
Been going through the Soft Parts threads and the one thing I can't find. Belt Buckles. What is everyone using for belt buckles?

Looking at using this as my vest.

Currently on ansgear.com as part of their Memorial Day Sale.
What are your thoughts? Yes, there is a zipper from chest to neck. I would be modifying and covering the zipper.

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2014, 05:06 PM by Fenrir Kyramud » Logged
Cat# 1196
Iron Fang: #8
B.O.M.B.: #48.
V.O.T.S.: #43
Dog Lobster Supporter #46
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Belt Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:42 AM »
Been going through the Soft Parts threads and the one thing I can't find. Belt Buckles. What is everyone using for belt buckles?
And I really don't think you'll see many.  Most Mercs have belts completely covered with pouches.  Given, there are exceptions.  Mine, for example, are metal parachute clips-

...but my belt was designed for a Sith costume that never came together, and it turned out it worked just fine for my Mando. :D

Fenrir Kyramud

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports
Re: Belt Questions
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 06:39 PM »
Parachute clips. I can make those work.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5
Re: Soft Gear Questions
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 03:33 AM »

Thats what I use on my kama

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 01:15 AM »
Belt looks good.  Vest, not so much.  What's it made out of?  It looks to be some sort of stretchy, form-fitting thing.  Stretchy plus plates equals sag and misery.  Try for something made out of a stiffer material.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 11:15 AM »
Belt looks good.  Vest, not so much.  What's it made out of?  It looks to be some sort of stretchy, form-fitting thing.  Stretchy plus plates equals sag and misery.  Try for something made out of a stiffer material.

It is made of nylon. However, if I decided on this, the plate would not be directly attached. They'd be free floating.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 11:19 PM »
It is made of nylon. However, if I decided on this, the plate would not be directly attached. They'd be free floating.
Irrelevant.  Make/ choose a vest out of the kinds of materials you'd use if they were attached.  My Legacy plates float as well, but I still have a duck cloth vest underneath.

Edit- Ohhh, now I see what it is!  It's similar to the Tac-shirts we wore beneath our IOTVs!  Heheh, fun times...

Definitely a no.  The material is insanely soft and stretchy, and won't work at all.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 08:01 AM »
Irrelevant.  Make/ choose a vest out of the kinds of materials you'd use if they were attached.  My Legacy plates float as well, but I still have a duck cloth vest underneath.

Edit- Ohhh, now I see what it is!  It's similar to the Tac-shirts we wore beneath our IOTVs!  Heheh, fun times...

Definitely a no.  The material is insanely soft and stretchy, and won't work at all.

Yes, pretty sure it was designed after Tac-shirts.

Alright, back to the drawing board. Going to hit the military surplus stores this week. See what I can't find.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 11:57 PM »
Yes, pretty sure it was designed after Tac-shirts.

Alright, back to the drawing board. Going to hit the military surplus stores this week. See what I can't find.
Protip:  How about you look into one of the vest makers here on the boards?  Anything that you think might work will be as expensive, if not more expensive than a custom duck cloth job, and will probably end up over-complicating your build.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 04:54 PM »
Protip:  How about you look into one of the vest makers here on the boards?  Anything that you think might work will be as expensive, if not more expensive than a custom duck cloth job, and will probably end up over-complicating your build.

I've looked into that. I have some sewing skills and have thought about making my own. But, I've made so much garb recently, I'm just ready for things to be cheap and easy.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:27 PM »
I've looked into that. I have some sewing skills and have thought about making my own. But, I've made so much garb recently, I'm just ready for things to be cheap and easy.
And modifying a garment that's not approvable out-of-the-box falls under neither of those things.

Really, though, if you have skill in making garments already, you should have no problem.  My ex-wife and I had absolutely no seamstry skills between the two of us, but based on a few scant design ideas, we managed to throw together a fantastic vest in less than a week's time.

Or, hey, always the option of buying one.

Dar'manda

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 03:13 PM »

I drew this a long time ago...I plan on doing this for my next vest.  Only change I would make now is having one of the shoulders attach with snaps so I can fit my head through the opening in the vest.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 04:51 PM »
Started amassing soft parts today. There's a great military supply store in Pekin, IL. Just too bad they didn't have a tac-vest I could use. Oh well. Cross that bridge soon enough. When I do, it will be black.

Pants and Boots

Will be removing pockets and buttons this weekend.

Shirt and Gloves

The velcro, tab and label are coming off very soon.

Overall

I started off trying on an actual flight suit. It was when I got stuck and needed help just getting one shoulder out, I finally decided on two pieces.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Soft Gear WIP
« Reply #13 on: Jun 27, 2014, 01:01 AM »
Moving along, slowly but surely. My vest is on it's way, almost done. Gloves are almost there.

Still need to paint the rivets and weather everything.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #14 on: Jun 27, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Moving along, slowly but surely. My vest is on it's way, almost done. Gloves are almost there.

Still need to paint the rivets and weather everything.
A bit of a personal preference here, but I like the rivets un-painted. :D

Gloves are looking good, vod.  Your two-piece flight suit seems to fit right, but I'd advise against blousing your pants/ tucking them in to your boots.  When it comes time to throw on armor, it'll cause bunching in areas, and the App Team has a fondness for finding any and all bunching/ sag of flight suits.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2014, 12:02 PM »
A bit of a personal preference here, but I like the rivets un-painted. :D

Gloves are looking good, vod.  Your two-piece flight suit seems to fit right, but I'd advise against blousing your pants/ tucking them in to your boots.  When it comes time to throw on armor, it'll cause bunching in areas, and the App Team has a fondness for finding any and all bunching/ sag of flight suits.

Oh, I thought I would have to paint the rivets to be acceptable. If not, I'll leave them and start weathering. Thanks, Vod.

I will definitely leave the cuffs untucked.

Thanks, Vod.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
« Reply #16 on: Jun 27, 2014, 07:37 PM »
Oh, I thought I would have to paint the rivets to be acceptable. If not, I'll leave them and start weathering. Thanks, Vod.

I will definitely leave the cuffs untucked.

Thanks, Vod.
Nah, vod.  Echo (my first armor) had unpainted rivets.  It gives it a certain industrial look that I really like.  It's a personal preference thing, largely.

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #17 on: Jun 27, 2014, 08:32 PM »
Nah, vod.  Echo (my first armor) had unpainted rivets.  It gives it a certain industrial look that I really like.  It's a personal preference thing, largely.

Perfect.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28, 2014, 02:13 AM »
One step closer.

I could not be happier with how these turn out. My gloves are done.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Soft Gear WIP...Update w/Pics
« Reply #19 on: Jul 03, 2014, 10:45 PM »
And the vest is DONE! Once the shoulder bells are finished, they'll add weight to the should flaps keep them down.

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Fenrir Kyramud

Re: Soft Gear WIP...Update 08/03/2014
« Reply #20 on: Aug 03, 2014, 06:06 PM »
Bought 6 of these Mosin Nagant ammo pouches.

They're all the same color for the most part. Looks like some of the straps have been replaced. But a quick dye job and they're more uniform.

Whole belt:

Cat# 1196
G.O.M.O.L. #5

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Soft Gear WIP...Update 08/03/2014
« Reply #21 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Nice stuff vod ;)

the Glove look great ;) and those pouches are cool  :rolleyes: but then i would say that  :laugh:

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!