Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First Kit: Under the Plates

• 31 Replies

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
My First Kit: Under the Plates
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:55 PM »
One of the first things I did with my new flight suit was go through my closet and find a shirt that would fit over it, so that I could use as a template for my vest.  I couldn't think of a more fitting end to the one I chose:

I haven't started to make the flight suit CRL-worthy yet because I'm still planning things out.  Measure twice, cut once, right?  I'm going to go light armor, so that's why the vest is so short.  The marked line is my navel, and the vest extends about a centimeter below that.  The bottom of the ab plate should rest about a centimeter above the line, so 2 cm from the bottom of the vest.  The suit itself fits very well, not too tight anywhere, but until I can get some extra hands to take a full-body picture of me I can't see for sure.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Kebii'laar

Re: My First Kit: Under the Plates
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 06:49 PM »
I picked up some duck cloth for the kama and vest, so I decided to throw it together and see how it looked.  The kama cloth is literally draped over a belt right now, and twice as thick as I plan to have the final product (no idea where I came up with the figures I did, but at least I have enough cloth to make a spare!).  The "vest" is still the cut up shirt at this point, because I haven't started on the actual vest yet. 

This is a dry run, mostly just to see how much more I need to do to the suit.  Most of the stuff that I think would get me dinged by CRL are covered by the vest and kama.  The collar is going to go for sure, and the sleeves should look better when I have some gauntlets on.  I know the belt buckle needs to go, but that should be easily remedied by sliding it into the belt sleeve on the kama.  In fact, I'm going to need a bigger belt than what I currently have because that thing runs almost up to my navel.  I'm on the lookout for a real leather ammo belt, and I'll likely make a girth belt as well.  I am as yet undecided as to whether I want a part in the back of the kama.  With the amount of material I have, I could even make one with and one without, and see what I like best. 

By the way, if anybody needs duck cloth, Joann's seems to have theirs on sale right now.  I got the fabric for both vest and kama at about half price*  ;D

*Disclaimer: I am not employed by nor affiliated with Jo-Ann Fabrics

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:31 AM »
Looks good so far. you could always have a double thickness Kama ;) I have a two-tone one...the inside is a different colour o the outside.

Vest would want to be tighter than that shirt sits...though I daresay you knew that  :)

Kebii'laar

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 11:42 AM »
I'm already planning to make the kama 2 layers thick.  What you see there is 4 layers of duck cloth, and that I think is going to be a bit much xD

The reason the vest looks so loose is because the sides aren't sewn together, so it's being worn like a tiny little poncho right now.  The finished product will have the sides sewn together and will open in the back, with velcro to hold it closed.

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:45 AM »
The flight suit and shirt you have over it look really baggy. Might have to look at bringing them in some.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:26 AM »
The vest fit will be fine once I sew it.  The shirt fit snugly until I cut the sides below the armpits.  I will see about taking in the flight suit though.  I'm meeting with a friend who has better sewing skills than I do tomorrow (was going to be today, but she had to reschedule) so I'll have more to show then.  I was already pretty sure I would need to bring in the sleeves, but would you say I need to do the body too?

Curse my skinny shebs!

Avidem

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 05:56 PM »
It's a little hard to tell since you have the vest onover it. If you can throw a picture of you with out the vest and Jana up. I used to be a twig until I went into the military vod, so I know what it's like to have clothes be really baggy.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 06:42 PM »
I won't be back at my house for another few hours.  I'll put up a picture if the lighting is good enough, but if not I'll have one up tomorrow.

Avidem

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:25 PM »
No big. I got lucky with my coveralls since they were fired just to me while in boot camp. ,

Kebii'laar

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:56 PM »
Two pictures in different poses.  As a side effect of enlisting my sister to take the pictures, you now have me in Full HD  :D

Atin Skorda

• Orange Brigade
  • Awards Special Operations Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 05:45 PM »
I'll be watching this

Avidem

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 09:12 PM »
The chest looks good. I'd say the sleeves are your only thing.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 11:11 PM »
Today was a productive day.  I've taken in the sleeves about an inch at the wrists, and it tapers off to half an inch as it goes up my arm because the shoulders were too tight with a full inch all the way up my sleeve.  I took in the legs by about an inch as well, but if you guys think it's unnecessary I can undo that easily enough.  Front and back of my vest are cut out, and the kama is cut out and I've started to sew it together as well.  I left it at my friend's house so she can work on it a little more tonight (she's got a sewing machine and I don't, sadly).  Tomorrow I'll pay her another visit with some velcro, so I'll be able to add that to the vest.  We'll also figure out the shoulder bells then.  I'd prefer they have a bit more padding than the rest of the vest, but I'm not sure how to go about it yet.  What are some of your methods?  I was thinking a small bit of foam inside duck cloth.

EDIT:  So my friend has gone and injured herself on a broken mirror.  She's a di'kut, but she's my di'kut.  So, I won't be able to work on my soft parts until June 1st.  I'll include pictures and updates as soon as I get them.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 01:15 PM by Kebii'laar » Logged

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 01:23 PM »
Ouch...hope she heals up well!

My shoulders re  little padded with stitching vertically up the shoulder every inch or so across the width.

Avidem

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 10:31 AM »
That sucks. Hope everything turns out ok.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:40 AM »
A quick update here, I don't have many pictures.  The vest is coming along nicely, but there's still more work to be done.  The shoulders will probably need to come in more than they already are, because they're on the verge of sticking out past my shoulders right now.  Velcro has not been attached to the back, and the seam for the collar is not yet sewn.  The initial fabric is measured and cut for the kama, but I haven't gotten it sewn yet and probably won't be able to get to it until this weekend.  I'm going to trim the kama in some bias tape of the same fabric the vest is cut from, so that royal blue will be surrounded by a little bit of light gray for some contrast.  Also, the kama will be pleated for ease of movement.

This is verging on armor components material, but it's also got the vest so I figured I'd knock out two birds with one stone.  For one, what do you think of the shoulders on the vest?  And then, of course, sizing of the plates.  Looking at it, I think they're a tad bit too big, but I want more experienced opinions.

I also discovered that tape does not like to cooperate with duck cloth.  It's a minor miracle that the templates stayed on me for that long, I was holding my breath the whole time the pictures were being taken so I wouldn't shift the vest and knock stuff off. 

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2014, 12:26 PM »
I agree with your assessment on the vest's shoulders and the plate sizing. Vest is a bit big on the shoulders and the plates are a bit big too. You seem to have a good grasp on these concepts, keep up the good work.  8)

Kebii'laar

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Progress is slow right now.  I'm still stuck using my friend's sewing machine, and conflicting schedules are a pain.  I'll be able to get some more work done on Wednesday, and I should have more pictures posted that night or Thursday.  I'm thinking of cutting the shoulders back to about the furthest point that the current collar reaches, maybe leaving a centimeter or two beyond it.  I'll have new templates printed and cut out by then, so I'll try those on and pose for the camera.  This time I'll include pictures with and without the plates for better visualization. 

I feel so antsy right now, I want to work on it NOW  ???

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Calm, you must remain calm, lol. Excitement is great, but just make sure you don't rush, that's how mistakes happen. Measure twice, or 3720 times, and cut once. What's your plan for plate materials and helmet?

Kebii'laar

« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I'm not rushing, I just can't work on it at all until I go back to my friend's.  My suit is there right now, and so is her sewing machine (I don't have my own machine yet).  She won't be available until Wednesday, which is why I have to wait to work on it.    I always measure at least twice before I cut, but right now I can't even measure.

Plates will be made out of 3mm Sintra.  Once I get paid I'll start calling the local sign shops, and I've found some on Amazon that'll be a backup plan.  For the helmet, I'm looking at one of Saz's.  Probably his Death Watch, if the Jango has too much of a backlog.

Avidem

« Reply #20 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:15 PM »
You should also check with your clan. Sometimes they will do an order for the clean and each person pays for a sheet or so. Singer one could also have extra they aren't using as well.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I'm taking that into consideration as well.  If I can get some sintra from a clanmate, I'll see about that as well, but I will get some in the next two weeks one way or another.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Plates are defo a lil too big there as you thought.

For the Kama...are you thinking of actual pleats or just darts? I have 2 darts in the bck of my kama that make it fit better and hang better so it makes movement easier.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #23 on: Jun 07, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Plates are defo a lil too big there as you thought.

For the Kama...are you thinking of actual pleats or just darts? I have 2 darts in the bck of my kama that make it fit better and hang better so it makes movement easier.

I was thinking actual pleats.  That's what's shown in the Mando Maker application, and I don't think I've seen many pleated kamas, so I'm curious as to how it'll look in person. 

« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2014, 12:52 AM »
I was thinking actual pleats.  That's what's shown in the Mando Maker application, and I don't think I've seen many pleated kamas, so I'm curious as to how it'll look in person.

Shouldn't be too difficult to knock it up with pins holding the pleats for a trial  :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!