Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My First Kit: Under the Plates

• 31 Replies

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
Re: My First Kit: Under the Plates
« Reply #15 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:40 AM »
A quick update here, I don't have many pictures.  The vest is coming along nicely, but there's still more work to be done.  The shoulders will probably need to come in more than they already are, because they're on the verge of sticking out past my shoulders right now.  Velcro has not been attached to the back, and the seam for the collar is not yet sewn.  The initial fabric is measured and cut for the kama, but I haven't gotten it sewn yet and probably won't be able to get to it until this weekend.  I'm going to trim the kama in some bias tape of the same fabric the vest is cut from, so that royal blue will be surrounded by a little bit of light gray for some contrast.  Also, the kama will be pleated for ease of movement.

This is verging on armor components material, but it's also got the vest so I figured I'd knock out two birds with one stone.  For one, what do you think of the shoulders on the vest?  And then, of course, sizing of the plates.  Looking at it, I think they're a tad bit too big, but I want more experienced opinions.

I also discovered that tape does not like to cooperate with duck cloth.  It's a minor miracle that the templates stayed on me for that long, I was holding my breath the whole time the pictures were being taken so I wouldn't shift the vest and knock stuff off. 

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016
« Reply #16 on: Jun 07, 2014, 12:26 PM »
I agree with your assessment on the vest's shoulders and the plate sizing. Vest is a bit big on the shoulders and the plates are a bit big too. You seem to have a good grasp on these concepts, keep up the good work.  8)

Kebii'laar

« Reply #17 on: Jun 07, 2014, 01:01 PM »
Progress is slow right now.  I'm still stuck using my friend's sewing machine, and conflicting schedules are a pain.  I'll be able to get some more work done on Wednesday, and I should have more pictures posted that night or Thursday.  I'm thinking of cutting the shoulders back to about the furthest point that the current collar reaches, maybe leaving a centimeter or two beyond it.  I'll have new templates printed and cut out by then, so I'll try those on and pose for the camera.  This time I'll include pictures with and without the plates for better visualization. 

I feel so antsy right now, I want to work on it NOW  ???

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016
« Reply #18 on: Jun 07, 2014, 01:31 PM »
Calm, you must remain calm, lol. Excitement is great, but just make sure you don't rush, that's how mistakes happen. Measure twice, or 3720 times, and cut once. What's your plan for plate materials and helmet?

Kebii'laar

« Reply #19 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:08 PM »
I'm not rushing, I just can't work on it at all until I go back to my friend's.  My suit is there right now, and so is her sewing machine (I don't have my own machine yet).  She won't be available until Wednesday, which is why I have to wait to work on it.    I always measure at least twice before I cut, but right now I can't even measure.

Plates will be made out of 3mm Sintra.  Once I get paid I'll start calling the local sign shops, and I've found some on Amazon that'll be a backup plan.  For the helmet, I'm looking at one of Saz's.  Probably his Death Watch, if the Jango has too much of a backlog.

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #20 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:15 PM »
You should also check with your clan. Sometimes they will do an order for the clean and each person pays for a sheet or so. Singer one could also have extra they aren't using as well.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #21 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:40 PM »
I'm taking that into consideration as well.  If I can get some sintra from a clanmate, I'll see about that as well, but I will get some in the next two weeks one way or another.

« Reply #22 on: Jun 07, 2014, 05:45 PM »
Plates are defo a lil too big there as you thought.

For the Kama...are you thinking of actual pleats or just darts? I have 2 darts in the bck of my kama that make it fit better and hang better so it makes movement easier.

Kebii'laar

« Reply #23 on: Jun 07, 2014, 06:17 PM »
Plates are defo a lil too big there as you thought.

For the Kama...are you thinking of actual pleats or just darts? I have 2 darts in the bck of my kama that make it fit better and hang better so it makes movement easier.

I was thinking actual pleats.  That's what's shown in the Mando Maker application, and I don't think I've seen many pleated kamas, so I'm curious as to how it'll look in person. 

« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2014, 12:52 AM »
I was thinking actual pleats.  That's what's shown in the Mando Maker application, and I don't think I've seen many pleated kamas, so I'm curious as to how it'll look in person.

Shouldn't be too difficult to knock it up with pins holding the pleats for a trial  :)

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #25 on: Jun 19, 2014, 04:51 PM »
As a Kilt maker I am going to stress the necessity that you Iron all of your pleats flat and if you want permanent pleats run a line of stitching down the entire length of the pleat from where ever it starts at the top to your hem lines.... I will also be doing a pleated kama and I will be doing the line of stitching on the outside of the pleat and the inside. it makes it so you can throw it around and still have pleats when you are done.

QMU#084

Avidem

« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2014, 03:00 AM »
If you make Kilts Bowfanny I might have to hit you up.

Svik Katora

• Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #27 on: Jun 20, 2014, 03:16 AM »
Sounds good, can't wait to see where this kit goes.

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #28 on: Jun 20, 2014, 03:28 AM »
If you make Kilts Bowfanny I might have to hit you up.
I've made more than just a few. I think last count was a bakers' dozen. Solid colors are fastest and easiest. Plus different pleat styles. Yea gotta say it cause I'm quite Celtic I'm plaid to the bone!

QMU#084

Avidem

« Reply #29 on: Jun 20, 2014, 03:32 AM »
My mother's maiden name was McElhiney and my dad's is Nicholson so I'm not sure if I'm Scottish or Irish or just a mutt.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!