Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jorad Werde's "soft parts" WIP

• 41 Replies

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
Jorad Werde's "soft parts" WIP
« on: Jun 08, 2014, 12:37 AM »
So aside from the title of this thread sounding slightly x rated...This'll be where I post pics of my Armor's 'soft parts'.

My flight suit...basic black, lots of zippers and pockets. 

My gloves, again, basic black, the FG logo will be covered by the hand plates of my armor

My belt, black with grey my armor is going to be navy blue with grey and black accents.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Re: Jorad Werde's "soft parts" WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2014, 08:30 AM »
Looking good so far!

Liking the flight suit. Do you have a link to the one you used?

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2014, 09:20 AM »
Looking good so far!

Liking the flight suit. Do you have a link to the one you used?

I think it was this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Camouflage-Military-Uniform-Flight-Suit-Air-Force-Style-Fighter-Flight-Coveralls-/130957612331?pt=US_CSA_MC_Outerwear&var=430175018442&hash=item1e7dae952b  However I just searched "Flight Suit" on e-bay and bought the cheapest one that wasn't used. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Pouches:  I built 2 today, I'm going to build 2-4 more depending on how cluttered the belt gets

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2014, 11:03 AM »
So I am starting to really think about my vest and I have a few questions that I hope you guys can answer for me.  1; Fabric suggestions, I've seen a lot of people use Duck Cloth, and if that's the best fabric then that's what I'll go with.  But if there are other suggestions people have I'll gladly take them.  My biggest concern is the fact that duck cloth tends to fade a bit over time and I'm going to be making my vest black, I don't want the black to fade to a weird grey.  2; I am thinking that instead of the normal close sided vest I would put three pieces of elastic on each side to a, hold the vest together, and b, make it a bit more form fitting but still able to let me take deep breaths.  My question is; is this something that would pass the approval process? 

Updates (with pics):
So I've gotten some work done in the last few weeks that I haven't posted and since I'm in a bit of a holding pattern right now while I wait for my armor to come in I figured I'd post the stuff I haven't yet. 

First up, my belt.  Not yet fully complete, I still need to add at least 2 pouches and a holster.  I'm waiting on materials for the pouches and I want to finish my 2 pistols and figure out which one is the most likely to get accepted before I design and build a holster (probably from a fax leather).  I've added a flashlight (a by product of my stage hand work, I quite literally never go anywhere without a flashlight on my belt).  I've also got a pair of toy collapsible binoculars, which seemed like something a commando would have, but they are the first thing to go if room needs to be made for my other pouches and holster. 

Second up is my rifle strap.  Literally an unused elastic belt that I had in my closet with two holes cut in the end and a small carabiner looped through it. The strap goes over my shoulder and the carabiner hooks to a ring on my 'blaster rifle'.  The nerf gun is there as a demonstrative object.  I'm not so sure I'm actually going to use it, I want to see how it looks over my armor once it's finished, if I don't like how it looks (a black strap over my blue armor) I'll sew a loop into my vest or figure out a way to put one on my chest pieces so it doesn't pull them off. 

« Last Edit: Aug 05, 2014, 09:24 AM by Jaing Garr » Logged

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #5 on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:19 AM »
So a long awaited update;
I built 2 more pouches to bring the total pouch/holder count to 10 on my belt.  The only thing left now is my pistol holster, which I'll build once I get material, a sewing machine, and once I know which weapon I'll be using.  I do have a plan for a 'modular' holster set up that is basically 2 straps that hang off my belt that can be snapped into place on the back of many different shaped holsters. 

Pic;

Pouches purpose from Left to Right
1- General Pouch- keys, coins, pocket watch, ect
2- Phone
3- Wallet
4- General Pouch- keys, coins, pocket watch, ect
5- Flashlight...obviously
6- Multi-tool
7- Cigar
8- Pencils, Pens, Sharpies
9- General Pouch- keys, coins, pocket watch, ect
10- General Pouch- keys, coins, pocket watch, ect

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #6 on: Jul 26, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Much updates!

I've been on vacation the last week so I haven't gotten a lot of work done, but I have ordered and bought a few things for my kit.  I'm kind of in a holding pattern while I wait for my Armor to come in (ordered from TK 2280) and while I wait for a new sewing machine (when I went to use the one I've got I discovered it had broken sometime since the last use).  I'm getting close, if everything comes in when I expect it to and work doesn't take up more time than I'm expecting I should be submitting approval pics by the end of August.  So here's what's happened in the last week.

Went to the fabric store today and got black cotton twill to use for my vest (I know most people use duck cloth, but a) the fabric store didn't have black duck cloth and wouldn't order it for some reason.  b) The gee that I wore when I was training in Ju Jitsu was made of cotton twill (a bit heaver than the stuff I bought) and the gee held up well over years of use and is breathable and the color doesn't really fade in the same way duck cloth does.  I also got Marine Vinyl to use for things like sheaths, holsters, and really anything that isn't my vest, my flight suit, or my pouches.  I got quite a bit of it because I have an idea for a holster rig that will allow me swap out what holster I have strapped to my leg without forcing me to make a complete holster rig for each.  I have four different blaster pistols that I could conceivably use for my kit and if they all pass the app team than I may switch which one I'm using depending on my mood, or if I decide to go brigade.   The back of the vinyl is bright white so I'm either going to have to sew it back to back and use a double thickness piece, line it with a thin fabric, or dye the inside black, I haven't decided which yet. 

I picked up some industrial velcro also.  and I've got a question about the velcro.  I bought 10'x1" 20lb capacity industrial sticky back velcro.  I'm planning on sewing the soft side to my flight suit and vest, however I figure I'll be able to just use the sticky backing to attach it to my sintra/plastic armor.  Am I diluting myself?  Should I use spray adhesive also?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2014, 08:34 PM »
The sticky-back industrial velcro is the worst.  It will come off faster than a hairpiece in a hurricane.

I'd go with the iron-on velcro that you can buy at a fabric/crafts store.  If you want to save some money, a lot of stores like Joann and Michael have apps and websites which will send you coupons, or check the Sunday newspaper weekly ads. 

If you're going to glue velcro on to Sintra, I'd use some other adhesive and not the sticky back (cuz it's not very sticky).  Velcro sells their own brand of glue that comes in a tube and costs a couple of bucks. 

A word of warning: if you glue your velcro directly to your sintra, do it before you paint/prime and attach it directly to the sintra.  The adhesive will eat through the paint and primer and pull right off.

Your belt and pouches look great!

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jorad Werde

« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:11 PM »
The sticky-back industrial velcro is the worst.  It will come off faster than a hairpiece in a hurricane.

I'd go with the iron-on velcro that you can buy at a fabric/crafts store.  If you want to save some money, a lot of stores like Joann and Michael have apps and websites which will send you coupons, or check the Sunday newspaper weekly ads. 

If you're going to glue velcro on to Sintra, I'd use some other adhesive and not the sticky back (cuz it's not very sticky).  Velcro sells their own brand of glue that comes in a tube and costs a couple of bucks. 

A word of warning: if you glue your velcro directly to your sintra, do it before you paint/prime and attach it directly to the sintra.  The adhesive will eat through the paint and primer and pull right off.

Your belt and pouches look great!

Thanks for the advice.  I'm using industrial sticky backed velcro.  I'm going to rough up the sintra a bit before attaching it and maybe even use some spray adhesive to give it a bit of extra stay.  I'll look into the iron on velcro, although I'll probably just use sew on velcro for attaching to my soft parts. 

I'll keep in mind attaching before I paint.

And thanks on the pouches, like I said, I designed and made them myself, and it's always good to get compliments on that type of thing. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #9 on: Jul 31, 2014, 04:06 PM »
Another Update:
I got my sewing machine in yesterday and after some trial and error and a test pouch made from Vinyl that worked, but got tossed for various reasons, I can happily say that I've completed my belt.  I got the straps and holsters made today. 

Note the two straps hanging off the belt, the snaps on the end attach to the two snaps on the holster and then sit on the thigh (the line you see is used to tie around the leg to keep the holster in place when I draw my pistol).  As you can see I designed the holsters to be interchangeable.  One is for my DL-44 and the other is for my modded Night Shot (I call it the IP-313).  I have other pistols (see my weapons WIP thread) and I have the material to make the holsters for them, I'm just going to wait until after I get approved to do it.  Those holsters (except for the one for my holdout) will all be designed with the two snaps which will allow them to be changed out onto my belt. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #10 on: Aug 03, 2014, 05:48 PM »
a few small updates.  I got the sheath for my vibro knife made, it's nothing special so no pic.  I also took all the pockets of my flight suit.  and for now that's all I got, still waiting on my Armor to continue. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2014, 04:07 PM »
Went to build my vest annnnnd lost all confidence in myself to be able to do it so can anyone point me to a relatively cheep (under $80) vest builder?

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2014, 07:05 PM »
There are a couple of people who sell them on the forums.  Click on the "Who sells what" thread on the Trading Station.

Your belt looks great!  I certainly wouldn't try to do half the stuff you have.

One of the recruits in Blue Moon Clan is planning on making his own vest, but rather than jump right in and make a vest out of duckcloth or leather (and possible scrap the materials for a vest if things don't turn out), he's doing a couple of test runs with old sheets and other throwaway materials first.

Keep up the great work!

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Jorad Werde

« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2014, 09:17 PM »
There are a couple of people who sell them on the forums.  Click on the "Who sells what" thread on the Trading Station.

Your belt looks great!  I certainly wouldn't try to do half the stuff you have.

One of the recruits in Blue Moon Clan is planning on making his own vest, but rather than jump right in and make a vest out of duckcloth or leather (and possible scrap the materials for a vest if things don't turn out), he's doing a couple of test runs with old sheets and other throwaway materials first.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks Man, I'll keep that in mind.  I continued with my work (despite my crisis of self doubt) and I think i was able to get a workable pattern...we'll see tomorrow when I sew it.  If not, I'll find someone who makes them.  And thanks for the belt comment, I can't tell you how proud of the pouches I am.  I am going to try and make a few more for s&g out of the marine vinyl that I bought to see how they turn out.  The vinyl is a thicker material than the leather trim I used on the ones on my belt so they may have a bit more structure to them.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #14 on: Aug 10, 2014, 03:14 PM »
So I worked through the self doubt and I think I came out the other side with a workable vest.  I've got some more velcro to put on it before I post a pic of it, and a lot of velcro to put on before I attach armor to it, but I'm going to try...and if it doesn't work, then over to the supply depot I'll go.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #15 on: Aug 11, 2014, 10:30 PM »
So I got A LOT done today.  The only soft part I worked on was my vest, the rest are armor, so head over to my armor wip for the rest of my update

Vest.
I finished sewing my vest today!  It's not quite as clean as I was hoping when I first imagined it, but it's good enough to work so...WOOT!  Special features; I made the vest open on both sides, I sewed elastic to the back, velcro to the front part of the elastic and then velcro on the front inside of the vest to be able to close it.  It works really well.  The only thing it doesn't have is a neck seal, but I'm going to order a dickie and use that.  Sorry for the potato quality pic.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #16 on: Aug 18, 2014, 02:25 PM »
Mid Day Update:
Just finished sewing the velcro onto the bottom half of my Flight suit (Shins, Knees, Thighs, Cod) I have yet to put the velcro on the armor pieces themselves though so no pics.  I am hoping to get the velcro sewn on to the vest today also. If I can get everything sewn in place before 5 PM I am going to start cleaning the 'inside' of my armor of any paint that may get in the way of the sticky back velcro I am going to use and depending on how long that takes I may have pics of me with a few armor pieces in place later tonight.

Also, As requested, a non-potato quality pic of my vest.  I've put on my equipment belt to show how the two are going to sit together.  I think it looks good.  Other's thoughts?

EDIT:
Another Update...I Know, a lot in one day, but Monday is usually the only full day I have off so I'm getting as much work as I can done today. 

I went and did another test fit of my armor.  I've traced the plates onto the vest as they are in the pics. 

I'm extremely happy with the test fit and how the armor looks on the vest.  That being said...

Issues I see:
A bit of bunching just above the outside corners of the chest pieces.  I'm planning small darts to fix this. 
Back plate needs a little more shaping on the upper back and the pieces that come over my shoulder to meet the front neck piece.  Can some one post a pic of how these should meet up, I can't seem to find a detail pic of that anywhere.

That's what I see.  Anyone see any thing else that I missed or should change?

Edit: I got the armor attached to my legs.

A few things I noticed and have fixed. 
1- The top of my shins are leaning away from my leg in a rather UN-attractive way.  I've put a few darts into the lower knee area to fix this.
2- The bottom of the knee is angled out because of where it sits on my actual knee.  I've added velcro to the bottom of the knee and to the corresponding place on the leg of my flight suit to fix this
3- I have no way of lining things up properly.  I'm probably going to sew some markings in as a guide. 

Anyone else want to add anything?

« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2014, 10:29 PM by Jorad_Werde » Logged

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 19, 2014, 08:38 PM »
I use my Velcro as my guide on my flight suit. When the square on my flight suit is lined up with the square on the inside of the plate, it *should* be lined up right. It does take some bit of tweaking each time, but it's a good start.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #18 on: Aug 20, 2014, 12:29 AM »
Update: I got my Dickey (neck seal) in today.  The only thing I have left to order are my boots.  I've got a pair of shoes that I'm probably going to use for my app pic if I don't get the boots in on time.  I've still got a few holsters and sheaths to make, and of course I have to sew all the velcro onto my vest and attach it to the armor, but I can see the end!

So for those of you that are looking at this for tips and tricks in the future.  First let me say, hello from the past, is the future as interesting as we think it's going to be?  Anyway.  As I was attaching velcro to my leg armor the other day I had a bit of trouble getting the plates lined up in the same way that I had lined them up when I layed out the velcro on my flight suit since the fabric pencil I had used had started to wear off.  I know I'm going to have the same problem when I go to do my torso armor and on my vest, never mind when I put all the pieces on when I troop.  Originally I was going to throw a few marks on the flight suit and vest in red thread and draw marks on my armor pieces then line those marks up to get the right spacing.  But then I thought...why not just outline them.  So my plan is to sew the outline of my armor plates into my vest with black thread.  From more than a foot away you wont be able to see it when there's no armor on, and once the armor is in place it'll be all but invisible.  All I'll have to do is line up the plate with the outline on the vest.  The legs present a bit of an issue in that I can't sew from every direction on them and thus can't sew a complete outline, I'll probably just go with my alignment markings Idea on the legs.  Thanks Ralin for the suggestion though.  In all honesty I may very well just do my best to leave the leg armor on my flight suit between troops.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2014, 10:27 PM »
So I got everything attached to the vest today :D And with that here are my pre-approval pics, minus the boots...those are on their way and will be in the final app pics.  However I figured I'd give you all a few days to find all the little things while I wait for the boots.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Jorad Werde

« Reply #20 on: Aug 29, 2014, 12:59 AM »
So my boots came in today...to my sister's dorm.  I used her account on DSW and the default delivery address was her dorm.  So instead of being able to submit tomorrow or Monday I'll be submitting sometime next week.  Yes, I will post another set of pre-app pics before I submit.  Probably at some time other than the middle of the night since most people don't seem to respond to the stuff I post late at night.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 29, 2014, 04:09 PM »
A couple things.

1. It may just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the spacing between the left and right chest plates and the collar are uneven.

2. The knees are almost touching the thigh plates. On the right side, it looks like it is. The knees should come down half to a full inch or so.

3. The backplate needs some more shaping. In the closer of the two side pics you can really see where it sticks out at.

Overall, it looks fantastic. Just a bit of fine tuning, and I think you'll be ready to go!

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
« Reply #22 on: Aug 29, 2014, 06:49 PM »
if you ont mind a rookie point of view?  If you compare this to real world body armor he thighs need to come up so that they ld be almost into your belt when sitting (they ar to protect the femoral artery from a frontal hit.)  , and the knees should be positioned while you are on a knee(kneeling shooter stance.)  so in that same kneeling position, you an position one legs knee and the others thigh.  i hope my armor looks as good when i do it.  excellent work.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Aug 29, 2014, 08:26 PM »
if you ont mind a rookie point of view?  If you compare this to real world body armor he thighs need to come up so that they ld be almost into your belt when sitting (they ar to protect the femoral artery from a frontal hit.)  , and the knees should be positioned while you are on a knee(kneeling shooter stance.)  so in that same kneeling position, you an position one legs knee and the others thigh.  i hope my armor looks as good when i do it.  excellent work.
"Real world" armor and Mando armor are two different animals, vod.  His thighs need to come up a tiny bit, but not as high as you're suggesting.  Sit back, watch, build some armor yourself so you get a feel for how it's supposed to sit.

Jorad, you're moving in the right direction.  A few tweaks and a back plate reshaping, and you should be ready to send in your app. :D

Jorad Werde

« Reply #24 on: Aug 30, 2014, 12:04 AM »
A couple things.

1. It may just be the angle of the pic, but it looks like the spacing between the left and right chest plates and the collar are uneven.

2. The knees are almost touching the thigh plates. On the right side, it looks like it is. The knees should come down half to a full inch or so.

3. The backplate needs some more shaping. In the closer of the two side pics you can really see where it sticks out at.

Overall, it looks fantastic. Just a bit of fine tuning, and I think you'll be ready to go!

"Real world" armor and Mando armor are two different animals, vod.  His thighs need to come up a tiny bit, but not as high as you're suggesting.  Sit back, watch, build some armor yourself so you get a feel for how it's supposed to sit.

Jorad, you're moving in the right direction.  A few tweaks and a back plate reshaping, and you should be ready to send in your app. :D

Thanks Guys.  I've already re-spaced the knees, I spent today darting my flight suit to bring all my leg pieces up about an inch, it sits much more comfortably now.  I'm pretty sure the discepency in spacing on the chest pieces was an artifact of the angle the picture was taken at, but I have re-adjusted them since because they were a little un-even and they look even now.  I've also back painted everything and covered all the white edges so there's that too.  I tried to deal with that space in the back plate when I first got it, but because of how it is structurally it wouldn't bend,  I didn't want to completely un-shape it and was hoping that it would pass with the little space that was there, but the space seems to have grown a bit since I last looked at it.  I'll take a look at it and post another pic once I've figured it out.  Thanks again Cin, Ralin, it's great having an app team member and...well...Cin watching my build. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!