Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Bowfanny Soft Parts wip

• 32 Replies

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
Bowfanny Soft Parts wip
« on: Jun 11, 2014, 05:55 PM »
Technically I have been working on my soft parts for a couple of days now and so far I have the main part of my vest complete I just have to hem the bottom edge on the front and back and install my side strapping here's a picture

I used 1/2 inch upholstery foam for the ribbing on the neck seal portion. its made of duck cloth and I have a flap in the back so that I can put some Velcro in and open the neck up if I get too warm.
I am about one third of the way done with my flight-suit (I'm sewing it from scratch with the use of a modified scrubs pattern) and it will be a one piece suit with Velcro closure up the front middle because I don't want to have to worry about hiding zippers all that much. I may even throw a couple of snap buttons in there to hide the Velcro a bit better and for safety of not having to be concerned if the Velcro slips a little. Ive got a little ways to go on the suit to go I plan on tapering the legs a bit more than I have already and Im being gracious with my seam allowances as I am already using a one inch seam allowance on a lot of the suit itself due to picking up the wrong sized pattern but it gives me room to adjust where I need to have a bit more room and still have the suit fit at the same time.
Thanks for stopping by my wip. there are going to me more updates later on this week as far as my flightsuit goes as well as my other soft parts. again thanks for stopping by.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Bowfanny Soft Parts wip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2014, 09:58 PM »
Looks cool.  How does it fit?

Bowfanny

• Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2014, 01:46 PM »
Looks cool.  How does it fit?
Right now it fits good I just have to put straps and hem the bottom then it will fit perfectly. I'll add a picture by next week.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #3 on: Jun 15, 2014, 11:42 PM »
small update, I finished sewing my flight suit together. It is going to be a two piece instead of a one piece like I originally planned and I removed the neck seal from my vest and made a new one that is attached to the top of my flightsuits' collar instead of the regular collar. I still have to put my velcro on the flightsuit jacket as a fastener so that it will close properly. I need to add belt loops to my trouser portion of my suit so that I can keep them up and so that my plates dont pants me!  :o  ;D.... Ill take pictures once I get my fasteners installed.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2014, 04:37 PM »
I Finally got someplace with my flight suit.... I made this suit from scratch and a set of scrubs patterns and had to modify the heck out of them before I was content with how they looked.

Mind these will have straps and armor to make them not so baggy all over the place and I will continue to adjust seams where I see that it is necessary for comforts sake. What do you think guys and gals?

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2014, 02:28 PM »
New update I completely remade my vest now it's blue and the sides are closed instead of being open with straps holding the sides together. I just have to install a flap to cover my back zipper then it will be ready to mount my grommets for my plates. This one is even more form fitting than the original one I made even though it was the same pattern. Pics will come a little later.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2014, 05:30 PM »
Just for an update and because I'm silly here are some pictures of my new vest over my flight jacket.

Does anyone think the helmet is a bit much?! Lol it's not the helmet for my kit but it is one of the 20 or so pep helmets I've put together. Anyway the flight jacket is longer than the picture shows because it got bunched up under the vest but the vest is quite comfortable and snug fitting like if should be. I only have the flap over the zipper left to sew on for the vest and it is finished. Comments, concerns, Galactic pimp slaps for corrective action!?

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15, 2014, 04:37 AM »
No big updates today, just plans of attack when it's time to do my girth belts I'm thinking I'll macramé some 5-50 cord then stitch it To a couple pieces of tow strap so it's not going all wonky.

QMU#084
« Reply #8 on: Jul 15, 2014, 02:59 PM »
Looking good. :o
On a related not this makes me want to learn to make clothes.
Just make sure you can not see that the flightsuit is two pieces when you are done.
Coved the separation with a girthbelt or the like.

Renn

• I thought you were made of sterner stuff?!!
  • Awards Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #9 on: Jul 20, 2014, 05:53 PM »
awesome job, I gotta learn to sew  :D

MMCC #1116    B.E.A.R.D.S.#101

Bowfanny

« Reply #10 on: Aug 22, 2014, 12:57 AM »
awesome job, I gotta learn to sew  :D
Learning to sew is the easy part, stopping is much harder.

In other news no real big updates on the soft bits with the exception of planning my pouches since I'm stingier than Scrooge McDuck... At least where my pouches are concerned anyhow. I am thinking I'll go with a reproduced canteen pouch style in black duck cloth with light blue trim around the edges and use the nylon strapping and plastic buckles for closures.  Below is one of my pouches in khaki with the blue trim. Again my kit pouches will be black with blue or I might even do green with blue but in duck cloth.

QMU#084

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #11 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Nice stuff vod ;)

the flight suit looks a bit baggy on the arms and legs ;) 

and personally I would stay away from Nylon strapping, I just think Leather looks better and more start wars.

Love the helmet ;) Mod it and use it ;) 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Bowfanny

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10, 2014, 09:41 PM »
Picked up the Kelly green Rit dye yesterday to color my girth belt. Now I just gotta get off my butt and make the darn thing! I'll be getting the sewing machine back out this weekend and doing my pouches and my girth. Then I have to figure out how to get my 3d printer to print my DL-44 blaster parts for my c96 Mauser airsoft pistol! And then my Mando-blade weapon... Fun times!!

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2014, 02:42 AM »
Started one of two girth belts today. This one is 5 purple strands a whole lotta blue then 5 more purple strands of rope. So far I've just ran three sections of stitching to hold them together. I'm going to stitch some faux leather strips onto it once I have a little more time this week/week after next since I'll be busy at Rose City Comicon this coming Saturday... Won't be going in kit as it's not finished but I am going to take tons of pictures of the Vod that are there as well as the other costumes! I might take my gaunts to wear just to look like a bad a$$ lol plus I just finished painting but not weathering so they might get some of that lived in weathering they haven't gotten yet!

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:43 PM »
I'll be retiring the flight suit I made and in its place with be a purchased one in a darker green by Dickies brand as a single garment instead of two piece. Will update once it arrives... I just hope it fits.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #15 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:06 PM »

Can anyone guess what I am going to do with these in the next few steps? there has been one other person to make something out of these and just so you all know I made the texture myself with crumpled up aluminum foil and my handy dandy clothing iron.  ;D

QMU#084

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #16 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:41 AM »
Ammo Pouches?

Bowfanny

« Reply #17 on: Oct 09, 2014, 11:58 AM »
Ammo Pouches?
Just pouches, I've not seen a need to reload a laser weapon lol I've not yet cut the pattern for them yet but I will do that in the next day or so with pictures so people can follow along. Thanks for looking!

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #18 on: Oct 09, 2014, 02:10 PM »

And here is as far as I was able to get before work today. I'll have to attach front of the pouch to the back and flap and give it some more rivets and repainted the edges to match the rest as well as give it a nice black wash for depth and detail!

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2014, 01:41 AM »

I made a thing.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #20 on: Oct 17, 2014, 01:53 AM »

Actually started on making my real leather pouches today. These are as far as I am until the leather dries out the next couple of days. Ill post more soon.

QMU#084

Bowfanny

« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2014, 03:18 AM »

So I finished the pouch I started the other day. Hand stitched. Wet moulded and clamped. The next pouches will be different than this one. I like it but I want something a bit wider in the opening. These pictures are before the leather dye had dried completely, I finished them this evening so we will see what they look like in the morning!

QMU#084

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 20, 2014, 12:25 PM »
That's gorgeous, vod.  You sure know how to do your soft parts right!

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Bowfanny

« Reply #23 on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:51 PM »
That's gorgeous, vod.  You sure know how to do your soft parts right!
Thanks Vod!
Here are the pouches after they have completely dried and sealed with leather sealer.

I'll be making a new buck to wet mould some pouches with a bigger opening here pretty soon so that I can make two sizes of pouches I've got enough leather to keep me quite happily in craft mode for some time now. I purchased two whole sides that are between 15 to 19 square feet each so I can make myself quite a bit of accessories for my kit. I'll update more as I start and finish more of them.

QMU#084

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2014, 11:26 PM »
Those pouches are looking NICE vod. :)

You've definitely been doing some quality work so far, keep up the pace. :)

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!