Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

First Build - Modern - Post-App pics - Page 2

• 40 Replies
First Build - Modern - Post-App pics - Page 2
« on: Jun 12, 2014, 12:46 AM »
So, after spending a lot of time with the new addition to the family and working on just keeping hte family afloat, I realzied I didn't have the time and wherewithal to really put as much detail and focus as I would love to into the crusader kit, not that I don't think that a modern kit is any easier, but I've had all the parts laying around for this kit for a while, so I figured I'd start putting it together, so here's where we are as of today:

HELMET:

Just playing with Sintra for the base outline, realized I should have cut this a little larger in the opening areas, but can touch that up later.

Didn't go together all that badly, but it could have been better, hoping it won't come back to bite me later.

Some alternate shots that still have me hmmming.

And onto the top layer of glass. Pic is a lot rougher than it actually looks, but there is a single high spot in the back that I need to cut out and replace, (can you guess where? :P)

ARMOR:

So, templates cut out, and spray adhesive (temporary like) to the 1/4" Sintra.

And after a wonderful time with a serpentine saw, I have hard parts! Cut everything about 1/8" larger than the templates all around, will  take it to the other table tool to perfect the edge, though I have a question for you wonderful people, should I do a 1/8" diameter round corner on the armor (exterior side only), or should I do a slight 45 degree chamfer, again probably only 1/8"?

Anyone done either and what looks better? I am leaning towards the 1/8" round right now.

Well, carrying on.

« Last Edit: Jun 13, 2016, 01:05 PM by Tylek Ren » Logged
First Kit - Early Crusader - In Progress: Bondo Helmet, Page 4
Other First Kit - Modern - In Progress:
Hard Parts and Soft Parts updated 25/04/16
Re: Well... I wasn't entirely gone: Modern Build WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12, 2014, 03:46 PM »
Also for colours and scheme, looking at something like this:

Re: First Build: Modern Build WIP - Advice Appreciated
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2014, 01:40 AM »
So, I got to trimming everything down and I flipped the left chest plate against the right one, only to find out they were two distinctly different sizes... Apparently the template pattern I snagged had the boba and the jango as left/right, and I was supposed to print only one and mirror it... Well on the bright side, figured that out before I painted, did too much work.. Well I feel sheepish. :)

Avidem

• ba'slanar nayc vod bat te kyrbej
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2014, 03:01 AM »
First, someone might fuss at you about the triple post. Lol. Edit button is your friend.

You should of posted a pic of you with paper templates taped on you. That way we could see what size you had and if they fit your body correctly. This way when you cut your armor out of whatever material you're using you already know the size you need. If you don't have someone to help you with shaping the plates I'd recommend making a duct tape body form. It's cheap and tailor made to your body. This will help getting the chest and back pieces shaped right.

The helmet turned out good from what I can see that you've done so far. As for the color, it looks a little to dark for my tastes. Then again this is just my opinion.

Have you started work on the soft parts for your kit yet? It just seems like that should be the first place to start since everything builds off the flight suit and flak vest.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2014, 10:40 PM »
First, someone might fuss at you about the triple post. Lol. Edit button is your friend.

You should of posted a pic of you with paper templates taped on you. That way we could see what size you had and if they fit your body correctly. This way when you cut your armor out of whatever material you're using you already know the size you need. If you don't have someone to help you with shaping the plates I'd recommend making a duct tape body form. It's cheap and tailor made to your body. This will help getting the chest and back pieces shaped right.

The helmet turned out good from what I can see that you've done so far. As for the color, it looks a little to dark for my tastes. Then again this is just my opinion.

Have you started work on the soft parts for your kit yet? It just seems like that should be the first place to start since everything builds off the flight suit and flak vest.
Well, looks like he's got you covered here, vod.  I disagree with Avidem about the color, but that's pretty much your call at the end of the day.

First Build - Modern - UPDATE 25/04/15 - Pics
« Reply #5 on: Apr 26, 2015, 01:25 AM »
So, been a little quiet on the forum front, but have been working. Here's some pics of what's going on:

Just a general layout, we can thank Sidi Ren for the Vest and Flight suit! Amazing job as always!

One of PJ's from Headshot Prop's standard Mando buckets, cleaned up and then beat up. Also please ignore the sloppy paint lines and the like. Whole kit was painted in the matter of a couple hours while down in Anaheim, it's getting a repaint now that I'm home. :)

Chest armor, all attached, it's spaced a lot nicer when I'm wearing it, for sure. ;) (Also in need of a repaint/detailing.

And the most important protective piece, of course.

More to come as things get done along the way.

Sidi Ren

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 267th Rapid Assault Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: First Build - Modern - UPDATE 25/04/15 - Pics
« Reply #6 on: Apr 26, 2015, 02:10 AM »
Glad they worked out so well for you :D I want to see more color on those plates but otherwise <3

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2015, 04:11 PM »
Su'cuy gar! (I mean that literally: "You're still alive!" :P )

Progress looks good, vod ;D It'd be sweet to see that stuff on ya... ;)

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it
« Reply #8 on: Apr 26, 2015, 08:23 PM »
Thanks Sidi and Serim. Once I finish with this holster belt I will throw it all on and snao a couple pics. And yes I am still alive. :)

Re: First Build - Modern - UPDATE 24/04/16 - Pics
« Reply #9 on: Apr 24, 2016, 03:19 PM »
So, it's been a while. But mad dash to get things done. So here's a few pics that have been taken in the process.

The original plates and helmet were sanded and started again from the base. Painting on the way down to Anaheim was not the best of ideas. So here are the plates with new bondo and a first shot of primer.

Chest and Cod

Legs and Boots

Back and Shoulders

Gratuity shot of all.

First coat of Metallic

Add in Gauntlets.

Now there's a whole host of upgrades and work that has been done on all my soft parts, but I seem to have failed to take a picture at any time, I'll have to add those soon.

So, for the latest, and current state as of yesterday:

First layer of base weathering.

More to come.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #10 on: Apr 24, 2016, 04:45 PM »
Go Tylek! Git'er doonnne! ;D

Be careful with your paint, though! It looks like you're about to mix Krylon and Rustoleum, and that can cause disasters!

« Reply #11 on: Apr 24, 2016, 05:10 PM »
Hahaha, no, that's not the case. We have three sets of gear in there. That's someone else's paint. :D Thanks for the heads up though.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #12 on: Apr 24, 2016, 08:27 PM »
I figured you knew, but better safe than sorry! :rolleyes: :)

« Reply #13 on: Apr 25, 2016, 02:59 AM »
Weapons ready for bondo and paint.

And added the first colour to shins and shoulders.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016, 04:01 AM by Tylek Ren » Logged
« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2016, 02:48 AM »
Adding more plate pics. First layer of weathering and satin on, tomorrow for washes and a little bit of airbrushing.

Upper Plates

Back Plate

Hadn't cleaned a knee yet, but yeah, getting there.

General shot of them all... minus the shin which was getting it's last coat of satin.

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: First Build - Modern - UPDATE 27/04/16 - Pics
« Reply #15 on: Apr 26, 2016, 03:45 PM »
Loving the progress! What else do you have left to do? Seems like you've already got the helmet and soft parts...

« Reply #16 on: Apr 26, 2016, 03:59 PM »
I just need to put it all together, finish my holster and leather wrap the grips of the guns and beskad. Then put it on amd snap some pics. :)

« Reply #17 on: Apr 27, 2016, 06:30 AM »
Speaking of weaponry... the blasters are nearly done. Just need to leather wrap the grips and apply a few more coats of wash.

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #18 on: Apr 27, 2016, 12:55 PM »
Speaking of weaponry... the blasters are nearly done. Just need to leather wrap the grips and apply a few more coats of wash.

Looking good as is, vod!  Skip the leather wrap; it almost always looks tacky and detracts from the overall look of the weapon.

« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2016, 01:09 PM »
Looking good as is, vod!  Skip the leather wrap; it almost always looks tacky and detracts from the overall look of the weapon.

My concern is that the grip will look to Earthy without covering it. I have proper leather wrap, which I already did on my other weapon. Which I should have taken a picture of.... hah.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2016, 11:07 PM »
Just a teaser as app pics will be going in soon, but finally had a chance to get all kitted up for the weekend. Day two and some functional tweaks made things so much better.

Re: First Build - Modern - Teaser pre-app pic Page 2.
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2016, 02:28 AM »
A few more photos to go with the weekend. Still need to do some washes and weathering, then clean up a few connection points. Wearing the kit for a couple days made some things more understandable in terms of functionality. Overall I was impressed with how it held up in some key areas.

GardenGeek

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more
Re: First Build - Modern - Pre-App pics - Page 2
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2016, 01:31 PM »
Looks even better in person :) can't wait to troop with you as OMs!

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2016, 01:32 PM »
I like it! The colours go well together :)

I don't know all what you guys have spotted already so I'll just mention what I'm seeing:

-First is your chest plates are a little closer together above the diamond than they are just below. I have a feeling it's just off enough that it might affect your Application.
-I also think your belt and cod are too low. Maybe hike 'em up 2-3"? It's leaving quite a large gap between your pouches and ab plate as it stands in the photos.
-Only other thing is your thighs. Placement is definitely off, but it looks, to me at least, like they are a little too long for you. The spacing between the bottom of the plate and your knees is alright (maybe they could come down 1/2 and inch), but the top looks like it would cause discomfort when you bend or sit. Correct me if I'm wrong about that :rolleyes:

Overall I think you've got a killer kit on your hands, and all you need to do is readjust some plates and take your App pics proper! ;D Just remember to make them all straight on, I don't think they like 45* pics...

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2016, 01:40 PM »
Oh there were a dozen photos. But it is easier to hide things in straight on photos, so I used the 45's to puck through my kit. Yes the thigh plates. They only look that way because apparently I lost 20ish lbs from when I started to when I put this on. As a result my ammo belt was about 3 inches too wide.. again, this was the first day. After 2 hours of tweaks the next morning I managed to get everything to sit much more relaxed like. I may have to tweak the flight suit even more as the legs are a bit short for me and forces the crotch to come down a ways, making that issue you saw with spacing. As for the plates, it is an angle of camera thing. I am very barrel chested so my plates lay rather flat on me in the mid section and curved at the top as you can see in the back picture. As a result the plates look poorly spaced from the side, but I assure you they are good. :) Thanks Meric.

Looks even better in person :) can't wait to troop with you as OMs!

Yes indeed, your kit is amazing as well. We will rock this island!!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!