Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

children's hospitals?

• 7 Replies

Lemac

children's hospitals?
« on: Jun 28, 2014, 07:15 PM »
Sorry if I am posting in the wrong place. Please move the post if I did. I'm still new here so only beat me bloody not senseless.

I work in various doctor's offices for a hospitals group. I'm assigned to an office in Rainbows Baby's and Children's Hospital for the past few weeks. I was taking lunch outside a few times and saw the folks who come in with the therapy dogs (I used to volunteer at the animal shelter). I know with HIPPA and the privacy laws might not be as easy as it was 10+ years ago......

...but was wondering if any of the various clans had ever thought to go visit kids in the hospital? I'm just tossing the idea out there. Might not be feasible (due to HIPPA) but if it is I can see how it might be a good way to brighten the spirits of some kids who are otherwise afraid and in pain.

Like I said just an idea I am tossing out. More of a time donation than anything else.

Jennalele

• Ahren Tahrii
Re: children's hospitals?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2014, 09:58 AM »
I was wondering about this too, actually-- I'm pretty new around here, but one of my plans once I had my set all finished and touched up was to brighten the days of some kids sitting in a hospital. ;D

"I guess it wasn't blaster-proof."

Valo Tonar

• Raquor'daan Clan WarMaster
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2014, 10:07 AM »
My Clan is in the Process of getting the info together to do this in our area, because I know that the 501st does this and It is well recieved. So as I get information I will post up here. It may be Area specific But at least it will Help in someway to know what needs to be done.
I know one thing that is a Must is that All your Members who Visit Must be Up to date on all Immunizations and Must be abkle to Present that to the Hospital. This is for the safety of the Patients.

Hagen Nor'ak

• More then credits
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2014, 11:07 AM »
     From my experiences visits to hospitals, especially to children's hospital are a bit of an endeavor to get organized. I am sure if you were a family friend to a patient at the hospital it would be a bit easier, but if not it's a bit of a process to say the least. This is the basic run down I have been given when I tried to set up a visit at the Shrines Childrens Hospital in Sacramento. We were there with the 501st because the Hospital was having a toy drop off for the kids, so we were allowed in the front and the main lobby of the hospital only.  When I talked to the PR director about setting up a visit with the kids, she gave me a brief explanation off the process it would take. First she would have to set up a specific time and date for the visit and we would only be allowed to be in certain areas of the hospital at certain times. Then once she had that set up, they would of needed the names of everyone that would be attending from our group so they could run checks on them. Once they cleared everyone that was scheduled to attend, before the event everyone would have to sign a NDA/Hippa rights form. Then after all that was completed we would be allowed to visit.
     Yea I'm still waiting for a call back from the hospital on a possible scheduled date for a visit... So good luck. All of this becomes easier if you actually know a patient at the hospital though. But the Southern California Clans and the Arizona Clan would be better at giving their accounts of those events.

Have a good one,
Hagen

Valo Tonar

• Raquor'daan Clan WarMaster
  • Awards Shock Infantry Brigade Member 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2014, 11:44 AM »
Thanx Hagen, This is Good info to Have. And I believe this may be the Case across the Country. I will continue my Plans and update the Community as I learn More

Lemac

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2014, 06:36 PM »
Thanks to the folks who have looked into it..... I know my armor won't be ready to go for a while yet, so part of the reason for wanting to get some early info on it. I'm peripherally involved in one of the local hospital systems (via work), and have been at the children's hospital downtown for the past few weeks. I saw the folks with the therapy dogs when I was out for lunch and then saw the stuff the clans were doing. It was like getting my peanut butter in your chocolate (for those old enough to remember that reference).

The hospitals might be harder (HIPPA).

I'm just trying to get my ducks in a row and hopefully be able to help out. I'm a bit in the boonies, and the funny thing is the idea of being able to do some charity work changed my whole concept of making the armor. Went from "wow I might be able to make something cool looking" to "wow I could have some fun, wear some cool armor, make some folks happy and be helping someone out."

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2014, 11:08 AM »
As mentioned, hospital visits can be tricky, not just due to privacy and safety, but other sanitation and health concerns. 

That said, a lot of people get in to costuming with an eye on doing more than just treating every convention like it's Halloween.  Hospital visits aren't the only avenue for using your costume for charity work.  We see a lot of clans going out to support blood drives with the Red Cross, school/library visits on Star Wars Reads day, walks for cancer or diabetes, troops at the Special Olympics, and so on.

Depending on how far out in the boonies you live, you might see if there are other Star Wars groups in your area like the 501st, Rebel Legion or Dark Empire, and network with them to get together for a Star Wars day or something.  You might also see if there are other non-Star Wars groups around who do charity events in your area and see if you can hook up with them.  That way, when you show up in your costume, you're not just a strange guy who says, "I want to visit with sick kids"; you're there with three Ghostbusters, the Witch King, a couple of Power Rangers, Mario, a Biker Scout and Batman.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Lemac

« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2014, 09:09 PM »
As mentioned, hospital visits can be tricky, not just due to privacy and safety, but other sanitation and health concerns. 

That said, a lot of people get in to costuming with an eye on doing more than just treating every convention like it's Halloween.  Hospital visits aren't the only avenue for using your costume for charity work.  We see a lot of clans going out to support blood drives with the Red Cross, school/library visits on Star Wars Reads day, walks for cancer or diabetes, troops at the Special Olympics, and so on.

Depending on how far out in the boonies you live, you might see if there are other Star Wars groups in your area like the 501st, Rebel Legion or Dark Empire, and network with them to get together for a Star Wars day or something.  You might also see if there are other non-Star Wars groups around who do charity events in your area and see if you can hook up with them.  That way, when you show up in your costume, you're not just a strange guy who says, "I want to visit with sick kids"; you're there with three Ghostbusters, the Witch King, a couple of Power Rangers, Mario, a Biker Scout and Batman.

*lol* about the strange guy showing up :)

Could be worse boonies. Take about 35 mins to Erie and a little over an hour to Cleveland so stuff is within reach but can just be a PitA.

Thing that is good is that I asked a friend of mine about sewing the under armor stuff. She asked me about Halo stuff fro her and her b/f. They are involved with the SCA. Also from volunteering at the animal shelter I know some folks involved with animal stuff as well ask the walk for life, hospice, and the autism walk. So I do have a few contacts on my own that might benefit :)

And granted like you said about a mish mash of  costumes, it might not "fit" but it is something to attract attention and help with a cause.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!