Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Which Colour Concept

Option 1: Rebel Pilot
Option 2: Black and Orange
Option 3: White and Blue
Option 4: Combat Green
Option 5: Grey and Red

WIP - Simmy Assassin Mando Build

• 159 Replies

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: WIP - Simmy Custom Mando Build (Poll closed)
« Reply #100 on: Jun 05, 2015, 07:42 AM »
I still reckon they look about right once you get them shaped instead of sticking up off the vest.

Go take a look at Reyn's wip thread, he's also pretty thin and you can see where he put the shaping on his plates as I reckon yours need the same sort of curvature.

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2015, 07:53 AM by Kris Jasra » Logged
Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #101 on: Jun 05, 2015, 08:07 PM »
I wouldn't take more than 1/8" off all around, it's pretty close to the right size. I do think it needs the tiny trim though. And of course, more shaping like Kris said will help a bunch  too =)

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #102 on: Jun 06, 2015, 01:45 AM »
I'll do a reshape today before I trim and see how it looks.

EDIT: Reshaping seems to have done the trick. Though I now need to trim my ab plate at the bottom. Thoughts please before I attempt to fix these bloody things with snaps.

« Last Edit: Jun 06, 2015, 08:27 AM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #103 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:46 AM »
Your collar also needs to be trimmed down at the edges to match the outside edges of the chest plates. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #104 on: Jun 06, 2015, 09:47 AM »
Your collar also needs to be trimmed down at the edges to match the outside edges of the chest plates.

Yeah I noticed that after I posted it.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #105 on: Jun 06, 2015, 12:01 PM »
could rolling the collar a bit to match body curve, see if that helps before chopping stuff off

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #106 on: Jun 06, 2015, 01:07 PM »
It's pretty much rolled as much as is needed. I'll just trim the edge in a triangle I think once the plates are are fitted.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #107 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:16 PM »
haha, excellent! Yup, just need to neaten up the collar edge and the ab and you're golden (or well, whatever paint you use :P )

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #108 on: Jun 06, 2015, 05:28 PM »
Gonna sort collar out once plates fixed. So can better judge where to trim.with regards the ab plate I'm gonna take 1/2in of the bottom to start.

What about the pouches and holster in soft parts, any approval issues.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #109 on: Jun 07, 2015, 03:14 PM »
3 out of four plates fitted. Some issues with the press studs along the way but all resolved. Is the ab plate still in need of trimming? I have yet to trim the collar. But now all is in place I'm gonna trim it and reshape it a little.

Edited this image as white on white not easy to see.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #110 on: Jun 07, 2015, 05:41 PM »
A few things.  The Collar plate needs to be trimmed so the outside edges are even with the outside edges of the chest plates.  THe left side looks fine, it's the right side that needs to be trimmed, and I'd take about an 1/8th of an inch off the bottom edge of the ab plate and move it down just a bit to make that ab to chest plate spacing easier to deal with. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #111 on: Jun 07, 2015, 06:43 PM »
I'd say your plates need a bit more shaping. still look kinda flat and poking up round the edges. a good thing to do sometimes is over shape them a bit if they're as shapes as they can be to your torso. every edge of the plates should more or less press against you.

The main issue where i see this is the edge of the chest plates, specifically the outside corner in the middle of the chest plate, it still juts out and looks flat to me. maybe a side on picture will confirm wither or not this is just me.

As you've said before a wee trim from the sides of the collar and as Jorad said maybe a CM or two off of the bottom of the ab plate. It should be within an inch of your navel.

For future reference do you have anybody to take pictures of you? As there's quite a bit of inconsistency in spacing of the plates in some pictures i think caused by how you hold the camera. because in your first picture your collar seems to be misaligned on both sides where as the second it seems to be only on one side.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #112 on: Jun 08, 2015, 01:18 AM »
Thanks vode. I thought the ab plate needed a trim just wasn't sure how much.

You cant quite see in the pics buti have marked with pencil a few areas that need reshaping so plan on doing that. Also one of one the chest plates isn't fully fixed down as one of the press studs came loose (strong female end pulled the male from the plate).

Thanks for the advice. Will post more pics once of made the adjustments.

« Last Edit: Jun 08, 2015, 07:09 AM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #113 on: Jun 08, 2015, 07:58 AM »
best advice i can give. rough up the surface for the snap to adhere to.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #114 on: Jun 08, 2015, 08:58 AM »
best advice i can give. rough up the surface for the snap to adhere to.

Thanks, yeah I had done that. But the loose snap was where I did additional shaping. Heat gun likely loosend it, that coupled with the stronger female snap didnt help.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #115 on: Jun 14, 2015, 05:58 AM »
I took this with my flight suit on. It filled my concave chest out a little more. You can see on the neck/shoulder plate that I've drawn a line for trimming.

Thoughts please. Shadow not really helping though.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Ashen Kelborn

• Returning from hiatus
  • Awards Family events 267th Rapid Assault Special Weapons TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #116 on: Jun 14, 2015, 09:12 AM »
Thanks vode. I thought the ab plate needed a trim just wasn't sure how much.

You cant quite see in the pics buti have marked with pencil a few areas that need reshaping so plan on doing that. Also one of one the chest plates isn't fully fixed down as one of the press studs came loose (strong female end pulled the male from the plate).

Thanks for the advice. Will post more pics once of made the adjustments.

When I did mine, I made the plate to fit, then put male snap on a small square of plexi card give it more surface area , warmed one side gentley in the area I wanted to put it and countersunk the whole piece, then uses pipe weld to make sure everything is fused together and snug.
never ever have any come loose or needed to re apply ;D

Vanlande Ne'trasenaar

• Cin Vhetin
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #117 on: Jun 23, 2015, 02:22 AM »
I took this with my flight suit on. It filled my concave chest out a little more. You can see on the neck/shoulder plate that I've drawn a line for trimming.

Thoughts please. Shadow not really helping though.

Sorry I'm late to this. I almost would have suggested 1/4" of the outer edge of everything. You're like me, us tall, slender guys run into issues. As it is right now, there are just a few things off. The collar hovers off the outside edge of your shoulders just a bit. Heat the area and 'twist' them to fit the slope of your shoulders. That'll fit the form better.

For the chest, shoot for a more gradual curve. You don't want the edges to "curl" over your sides. That's where the trimming would have come in handy. It's still savable though. In fact, I'd even call it good man. I'm just giving you nitpicky stuff  ;D

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #118 on: Jun 23, 2015, 04:18 AM »
Yeah being slimmer than a child doesn't help matters. I'm 6'1 and about 125lbs...

I'll trim the outer edge a touch. As i think there's enough space to do so.

I'm struggly with the collar. I have surprisingly square shoulders (my archery coach hates it) I'll try curve/twist them some more.

Thanks for the tips vod .

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #119 on: Jun 25, 2015, 04:45 PM »
1/4" taken off as recommended. This better? I still need to re-trim the neck/shoulder. Is this size better?

EDIT: I've worked out I need to pad the centre of my chest out. With it being concave it makes the plates sure funny so will work in adding some padding into a base layer.

« Last Edit: Jun 26, 2015, 01:01 PM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Vanlande Ne'trasenaar

• Cin Vhetin
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #120 on: Jun 28, 2015, 04:32 AM »
Right on, yeah that looks much better from here!

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #121 on: Jun 28, 2015, 10:03 AM »
Right on, yeah that looks much better from here!

Thanks vod. I looked at your wip/build for reference seeing as youre the nearest size to me I've seen.

Seeing as I'm waiting the foam padding to arrive. I've worked on my codpiece. What's the best way to fix this? I'm thinking of attaching it to by belt with press studs and one press stud right on the crotch? Other suggestions welcome.

Here's the codpiece when I was shaping. I've since glued the smaller plate on the front.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #122 on: Jun 30, 2015, 04:09 PM »
Solved the fixing issue. Glued two bel clips off a mobile (cell) phone case. Works perfect. Also glued front on and body filled all around the joint. Sand it tomorrow.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #123 on: Jul 04, 2015, 11:48 AM »
Codpiece now painted and weathered. No detailing on this piece of armour so easy enough .

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #124 on: Jul 04, 2015, 09:06 PM »
cod looks very nice. good job hun :)

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!