Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Poll

Which Colour Concept

Option 1: Rebel Pilot
Option 2: Black and Orange
Option 3: White and Blue
Option 4: Combat Green
Option 5: Grey and Red

WIP - Simmy Assassin Mando Build

• 159 Replies

Vanlande Ne'trasenaar

• Cin Vhetin
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: WIP - Simmy Custom Mando Build (Poll closed)
« Reply #125 on: Jul 05, 2015, 03:59 AM »
Nicely done sir!

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #126 on: Jul 05, 2015, 09:51 AM »
cod looks very nice. good job hun :)

Thank you!!

Nicely done sir!

Thanks! A question regarding the shoulder plates. With me have very skinny arms / shoulders is it ok for me to use smaller plates than those in the templates provided in the medium size. in essence id be using the small size templates for shoulders and likely knees as opposed to medium?

« Last Edit: Jul 05, 2015, 03:54 PM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #127 on: Jul 11, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Good weather int' North means partly painted shoulder plate. It's.going to have a black rectangle and white Vok'Chi clan logo in white over the top. Just waiting arrival of decals.

Here it is fitted to the vest:

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
Re: WIP - Simmy Assassin Mando Build
« Reply #128 on: Jul 15, 2015, 04:35 PM »
Some small setbacks today. Padding arrived to fill my concave chest this has thrown more spanners than fixes into the works. without padding it looks crap.with padding it looks better but still looks "off".

I got frustrated with it and now leaving it until after the weekend. Have an extra rib is no fun.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #129 on: Jul 16, 2015, 10:42 AM »
I don't think it looks that bad with the padding, the only issue might be that the chest plates might curve too much on the outside. But otherwise it's decent.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #130 on: Jul 25, 2015, 12:16 PM »
Here's a side on view with padding in place.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #131 on: Jul 30, 2015, 02:55 PM »
Primed the chest plates as the Foamex is white it's hard to judge. Opinions please.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #132 on: Aug 01, 2015, 09:31 AM »
Added Vok'chi clan logo to one shoulder and a black rectangle to the other (for squad/brigade tag). Also dirtied them up.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #133 on: Aug 04, 2015, 06:59 AM »
First knee plate made. Test fitting tonight then hopefully spray it. Then make the other.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #134 on: Aug 04, 2015, 09:22 AM »
The knee looks good. But i have a touch of advice. At the bottom front of the knees. i'd suggest you round off that angle there. then if you go around the bottom edge of the knee with a heat gun and bend in the foamex inwards to create a bevel on the edge. it can really make a pair of simple knees look great.

The orange here indicates where to heat and the red shows which direction to bevel the edge. Hopefully that makes my explanation clearer.

I create the bevel by putting on some thick gloves and pinching the sintra at the edge and bending it inwards.

I use the same method on my thigh plates, cod, the top of my shins and the sides of my back plate behind my shoulder blades. it is particularly useful on the back plate as it removes or lessens the crease that often appears in that spot, which is caused by the lack of  compound curve where the horizontal curve of the bottom of the back meets the vertical curve that starts mid back and goes up over the shoulder. this creates a slight compound curve, but a lot of the time it doesn't create quite enough to fully remove the issue.

Sorry that got a bit longer than i intended it to but hopefully the info is useful. If you check the photos I'm tagged in by Cassandra on facebook you can see one of my back plates in better detail.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #135 on: Aug 04, 2015, 09:28 AM »
Ha ha. Lengthy response. I'll do as advised on the knees tonight before test fitting.

Regards the back plate I'm omitting that fit the time being and going for a cloak. Purely because I have no one to help mould it. I'll get Foamex cut up and ready for shaping at another armour party (should one occur)

EDIT: Reshaped and test fitted. Are they a suitable size??

« Last Edit: Aug 04, 2015, 02:11 PM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #136 on: Aug 04, 2015, 08:54 PM »
Looks about right.  The curved under side on a knee isn't a necessity, but it's a cannon embellishment

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #137 on: Aug 05, 2015, 05:20 AM »
not necessary but adds a nice bit of extra detail, and I feel like we should always encourage members to try and go that little bit further with their efforts. especially when it is entirely within their abilities. it also just looks good. i mean no mando armour piece is entirely without compound curves in the movies except maybe Jango's shoulders. but even then all of his plate seem to taper inward towards the edges so they actually might have a bit of a dish to them.

Simmy. those look great, size is spot on too.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #138 on: Aug 05, 2015, 06:38 AM »
Thanks vode. I'll go ahead and make the other and get them sprayed. Is the elastic ok on these?  I've gone for as close a grey as I can. I know elastic isn't permitted on some parts of the armour?

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #139 on: Aug 05, 2015, 07:10 AM »
elastic is fine as long as it is colour matched and I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it so I'd say it's good. just make sure to weather the elastic alongside your flight suit. also there's a wee bit of velcro sticking out of the top, jut make sure that's a temp flaw and not something that happens every time.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #140 on: Aug 05, 2015, 08:05 AM »
elastic is fine as long as it is colour matched and I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it so I'd say it's good. just make sure to weather the elastic alongside your flight suit. also there's a wee bit of velcro sticking out of the top, jut make sure that's a temp flaw and not something that happens every time.

I agree ....  the shape looks Really Good ...  ;)

However I don't Trust Velcro on my knees anymore ... I like to kneel down With kids Too much ... :laugh:

I look Forward to seeing more ..... keep up the Good Work  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #141 on: Aug 05, 2015, 01:16 PM »
Thanks again. I may change from velcro. I'll see how they go.

Yeah kitala, it's a fairly close match buy not perfect. I'll be sure to weather it too.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #142 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:21 PM »
Knee one done.

Before weathering :

After:

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2015, 02:50 AM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #143 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:39 PM »
I really like that ... Very nicely done ...  8)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #144 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:40 PM »
Looking good vod my first knee paint up was terrible. far to much battle weathering. you've got a nice balance. One thing you could do with elastic is just epoxy it in place on the knee, then slip it on. that's what I've done with every kit I've built. Though when i upgrade my knees and flight suit I'm going for internal strapping.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #145 on: Aug 07, 2015, 01:56 PM »
Thanks. I remember reading less is more when comes to damage.

Epoxy hold pretty well then??

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #146 on: Aug 07, 2015, 03:04 PM »
Yeah. I'd suggest cutting a cross hatch with a scalpel into the underside of the plate before hand though, if you hold the blade at a 45 degree angle (ish) then it opens up the foamex a bit and provides a great grip, just don't cut more than 1mm or so into it or you'll cut too far.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #147 on: Aug 07, 2015, 03:22 PM »
Thanks kitala I'll give it a whirl.

EDIT: first knee strapped and fitted. And second painted and weathered.

« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2015, 06:37 AM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
« Reply #148 on: Aug 13, 2015, 07:44 AM »
Both knees strapped and fitted. Taken a pic with cod piece on too.

« Last Edit: Aug 13, 2015, 09:28 AM by Simmy_82 » Logged
WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #149 on: Aug 13, 2015, 08:46 AM »
Taken a osik with cod piece on too.

erm... That might be an accidental type. or it's way too much information :P I'm guessing it was ment to be pic instead of the mandoa word for poop.

Lol joking aside, Everything looks good. Knees came out well. I'd advise you try and get working on the backplate asap. a good way to go about this is to tackle the awful jobs first like the cods knees and dreaded back plate. the last thing you want is to have everything bar your back plate finished only to struggle with it and lose motivation to continue working. I know a lot of people who get like that where all that is left are tedious jobs that you can't be bothered doing cause you got all the fun pieces made first. Also tackling the hard bits first means that the build only gets easier as you go.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!