Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Armor wip

• 126 Replies
Armor wip
« on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:04 PM »
Update: I know alot of my links are broken and I am in the process of fixing these. The site I was using to link my photos went to a pay to use site, so after so long my links were no good. I will get these broken links fixed!

So i have almost finished my knee armor and am posting some progress pics. My costume will be low budget with alot of thrift shopping and innovation, so stay tuned and we'll see where this goes. My color pallette is copper black and tan at the moment. 

Well when i figure out how to attach pics from my phone I will do just that. Oh so fun being a newbie!!

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: Knee armor
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2014, 01:57 AM »
Give this a look: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=560.msg6765#msg6765

You can't upload pics straight to the forum, you have to use another photo-storing website.

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2014, 12:41 PM »
ok so I figured out this pic posting thing so here we go.

My costume is a low budget custume. So it is taking some thrift shopping and innovation to get where i want it to be.

So here are some pics of my Knee armor build.
started with a $2.00 trash can from wally world. Did not know at all how this would work.

armor cut out after tracing templates onto trashcan

cut out some side pieces to give some dimension

glued side pieces to armor. (i goofed on my template, that's what the black lines on the one armor are)

cut out side pieces to hold missile out of wood and then sanded and drilled out holes to accept the pvc.
screwed wood blocks to plastic from the inside.

Knee armor sanded and primed with primer for plastic. I was not sure how well paint would stick to the cheap trashcan plastic.

I will post more pics soon.

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2014, 12:54 PM »
Looking solid, vod!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2014, 01:27 PM »
I then sanded and painted with metallic silver and then sanded again after dry. This plastic does not take sanding well.

I then used a hammered copper paint for the final coat

after the coats of the final color dried i began to weather. Sanded lightly and scraped the top coat off in areas to reveal the metallic below.

i used pvc for the missiles. cut to length and then heated smaller pieces and slid them over the pipe.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Jul 14, 2014, 03:05 PM »
Those small details really make those knees look excellent.

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2014, 08:34 AM »
Amazing! Loving those knees! Making me want to go buy a trash can haha  :laugh:

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 40+ hrs Charity 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #8 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:45 AM »
Great job on the knees!!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #9 on: Jul 16, 2014, 09:52 AM »
ok so I figured out this pic posting thing so here we go.

My costume is a low budget custume. So it is taking some thrift shopping and innovation to get where i want it to be.
You know the old "Cheap, Fast, or Perfect. Pick Two" chestnut.  I'm doing the same with mine, have torn through 3 tote bins and a trash can for mine.  Paint will stick, but you have to sand the osik outta it.

Love the knees, might just have to break down and make mine like that.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006
Re: armor wip
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2014, 02:10 AM »
so this will be ongoing as I progress in getting my armor completed. I have to work in my spare time so its a slow process, but that's OK since this is my first foray into costume making!. So here is the process I took for my shin armor. Again used a $2.00 trashcan for the armor. This can had the flat front angle that I was looking for and it was the exact proportion for my leg.

cut out one side of trashcan to trace on template

pics after shins were cut out

I used chicago screws to attach the flat pieces to the shins.

Next came light sanding and painting. Primer, metallic silver, then copper. One dry I carefully use a steel wool and blade to scrape off the top layer to reveal the silver below.

I used a silver wash on the front to give a more weathered feel to the armor. I also used Chicago screws to attach the velcro strapping. Cut some leather off a purse that i purchased at goodwill for the leather to hold the knife, which was made from a yardstck ($1.00)

I also am working on my thigh armor and waiting for it to dry so i can start weathering those and getting straps attached.

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2014, 02:35 AM »
Great use of the garbage can! And I really like the chicago screws. :)

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Ralin Voth

• "The Rancor"
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2014, 03:17 AM »
Fantastic job! Some people can take trash can armor and make it look amazing, like you. Me on the other hand, I failed miserably at mine. Sintra was much more my speed. Can't wait to see more.

« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2014, 08:37 PM »
Here are some pics of the armor that I have completed so far. Still have to finish painting the thigh armor.

« Reply #14 on: Aug 17, 2014, 03:11 PM »
Here is a sketch of that I want to do with the upper armor (thigh armor to the right). I may just purchase the upper armor and back plate instead of making them. Not sure yet.

Gauntlets are next.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!