Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Choice of Voice Amp?

• 23 Replies

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
Choice of Voice Amp?
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:41 AM »
My question is: What is the generally preferred model of voice amplifier? I know some people use Aker amps (particularly the MR1506 or MR1505), so would this be a solid choice worth my money?

Also, my second question is: Should I buy an amp from somewhere in the U.S., or should I order from a Hong Kong-based seller? I ask because out of all the listings on eBay, the amps from Hong Kong are far and away cheaper than the U.S.-based ones.

Opinions?

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Choice of Voice Amp?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Go with the ones from Hong Kong if you do not mind waiting. It's the exact same amp.

Also, I mounted the whole headset inside my helmet and bundled the cable in there too. Then I bought this coupler and an extra cable so that the amp plugs into the headset inside the helmet. I did this because the headset kept moving around inside the helmet during troops and I had to constantly stop to readjust. Now the headset and mic are fixed, and I can take the helmet off with headset and not worry about the voicebox.

- Vix

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Mando Claus brought me an Aker 1505 for Christmas and it works like a champ.

I think Mrs. Vraeden bought it on Amazon for something like $65 with "free" shipping.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Go with the ones from Hong Kong if you do not mind waiting. It's the exact same amp.

Also, I mounted the whole headset inside my helmet and bundled the cable in there too. Then I bought this coupler and an extra cable so that the amp plugs into the headset inside the helmet. I did this because the headset kept moving around inside the helmet during troops and I had to constantly stop to readjust. Now the headset and mic are fixed, and I can take the helmet off with headset and not worry about the voicebox.

Sounds like I'll be placing my order tonight then. I know these amps are manufactured in Hong Kong, so Hong Kong it is :P

And that setup sounds awesome, I'll probably make an attempt at something like that when I get mine!

Mando Claus brought me an Aker 1505 for Christmas and it works like a champ.

I think Mrs. Vraeden bought it on Amazon for something like $65 with "free" shipping.

I found a seller that is $35 plus free shipping, but $65 isn't too bad for a U.S.-origin one.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:20 PM »
If you look closely in this picture, you can see that I only used the mic part of the headset (I took off the metal head band) and hot glued it to the helmet. I hotglued a female end of a button above it. I then made a "band" out of elastic with the male end of a button on it and stuffed the excess cable and 3.5 mm female/female adapter into it.

Here it is all snapped in place. I now take a 3.5 mm male/male cable and plug one end into the voice box and one end into the adapter in the helmet and run everything under my flightsuit.

- Vix

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Mic setup looks good! I'll probably end up doing something like that with mine.

I ended up ordering an Aker MR1506 from a seller in the US for $42, and it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:11 AM »
I cobbled together a bluetooth voice amp to save helmet space and cut down on electronically generated heat in the helmet.  It ran just under $100 to put together. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014, 11:09 AM »
For those of you interested in building your own stereo voice amp, here's what you'll need:

1) 20W stereo amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1752

2) 9v battery clip w/ power nib: https://www.adafruit.com/products/80 (You may be able to scavenge for this, but finding one with a nib is difficult)

3) Amplified adjustable gain mic: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063

4) 20mm button-cell battery holder: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1870  (If your into savaging for parts like me, you can de-solder one of these from an old PC motherboard to save $)

5) 20mm 3.5v battery (similar to what is used on computer motherboards.  If you have a volt meter, you may be able to re-use PC mobo batteries if enough voltage exists on the battery)

6) 4/8 ohm speakers (scavenge for these.)

7) *Optional* on/off switch. (You can scavenge for this as well)

8.) *Optional* Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQUNODQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Makes your voice amp wireless)

Wiring it up is pretty straight-forward, and instructions are available on the parts pages.  If you scavenge for the battery holder, speakers, and on/off switch then your looking at around $30 to build a powerful voice amp that will fit in just about every helmet.  You can also spend an additional $60 for a pair of bluetooth transmitters/receivers to build your own wireless bluetooth voice amp. :)     

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:02 PM »
For those of you interested in building your own stereo voice amp, here's what you'll need:

1) 20W stereo amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1752

2) 9v battery clip w/ power nib: https://www.adafruit.com/products/80 (You may be able to scavenge for this, but finding one with a nib is difficult)

3) Amplified adjustable gain mic: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063

4) 20mm button-cell battery holder: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1870  (If your into savaging for parts like me, you can de-solder one of these from an old PC motherboard to save $)

5) 20mm 3.5v battery (similar to what is used on computer motherboards.  If you have a volt meter, you may be able to re-use PC mobo batteries if enough voltage exists on the battery)

6) 4/8 ohm speakers (scavenge for these.)

7) *Optional* on/off switch. (You can scavenge for this as well)

8.) *Optional* Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQUNODQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Makes your voice amp wireless)

Wiring it up is pretty straight-forward, and instructions are available on the parts pages.  If you scavenge for the battery holder, speakers, and on/off switch then your looking at around $30 to build a powerful voice amp that will fit in just about every helmet.  You can also spend an additional $60 for a pair of bluetooth transmitters/receivers to build your own wireless bluetooth voice amp. :)   

Wow, thank you for the detailed writeup! I might just put one of these together, as I have the majority of the difficult-to-find parts sitting around. :D

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Wow, thank you for the detailed writeup! I might just put one of these together, as I have the majority of the difficult-to-find parts sitting around. :D

Mandalore 1, Vix 0

Lol

- Vix

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Makes me upset that I just junked some computers (in the middle of a move, didn't want to transfer junk from old to new)!!!

Time to see if I have any of the other stuff to scavenge.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Regarding the Hong Kong amp, wouldn't the savings be offset by the need to get a 110v compatible power supply to recharge it?

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Regarding the Hong Kong amp, wouldn't the savings be offset by the need to get a 110v compatible power supply to recharge it?

It would, except the amp from Hong Kong was a made-for-US model. I ended up ordering one factory direct from a warehouse here in th states and it saved me more than $25.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Right on! Got a link?  ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014, 02:17 PM by Kuu » Logged

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Right on! Got a link?  ;D

Here's a link to the MR1505 I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915814278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It came in really fast, and works amazingly. It's the same model you can find on Amazon or Voicebooster's website, except with international packaging and a US charging adapter.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!