Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Choice of Voice Amp?

• 23 Replies

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Choice of Voice Amp?
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 12:41 AM »
My question is: What is the generally preferred model of voice amplifier? I know some people use Aker amps (particularly the MR1506 or MR1505), so would this be a solid choice worth my money?

Also, my second question is: Should I buy an amp from somewhere in the U.S., or should I order from a Hong Kong-based seller? I ask because out of all the listings on eBay, the amps from Hong Kong are far and away cheaper than the U.S.-based ones.

Opinions?

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Choice of Voice Amp?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:06 AM »
Go with the ones from Hong Kong if you do not mind waiting. It's the exact same amp.

Also, I mounted the whole headset inside my helmet and bundled the cable in there too. Then I bought this coupler and an extra cable so that the amp plugs into the headset inside the helmet. I did this because the headset kept moving around inside the helmet during troops and I had to constantly stop to readjust. Now the headset and mic are fixed, and I can take the helmet off with headset and not worry about the voicebox.

- Vix

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2014, 10:54 AM »
Mando Claus brought me an Aker 1505 for Christmas and it works like a champ.

I think Mrs. Vraeden bought it on Amazon for something like $65 with "free" shipping.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Go with the ones from Hong Kong if you do not mind waiting. It's the exact same amp.

Also, I mounted the whole headset inside my helmet and bundled the cable in there too. Then I bought this coupler and an extra cable so that the amp plugs into the headset inside the helmet. I did this because the headset kept moving around inside the helmet during troops and I had to constantly stop to readjust. Now the headset and mic are fixed, and I can take the helmet off with headset and not worry about the voicebox.

Sounds like I'll be placing my order tonight then. I know these amps are manufactured in Hong Kong, so Hong Kong it is :P

And that setup sounds awesome, I'll probably make an attempt at something like that when I get mine!

Mando Claus brought me an Aker 1505 for Christmas and it works like a champ.

I think Mrs. Vraeden bought it on Amazon for something like $65 with "free" shipping.

I found a seller that is $35 plus free shipping, but $65 isn't too bad for a U.S.-origin one.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:20 PM »
If you look closely in this picture, you can see that I only used the mic part of the headset (I took off the metal head band) and hot glued it to the helmet. I hotglued a female end of a button above it. I then made a "band" out of elastic with the male end of a button on it and stuffed the excess cable and 3.5 mm female/female adapter into it.

Here it is all snapped in place. I now take a 3.5 mm male/male cable and plug one end into the voice box and one end into the adapter in the helmet and run everything under my flightsuit.

- Vix

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #5 on: Jul 17, 2014, 03:25 PM »
Mic setup looks good! I'll probably end up doing something like that with mine.

I ended up ordering an Aker MR1506 from a seller in the US for $42, and it should be here tomorrow or Saturday. :)

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:11 AM »
I cobbled together a bluetooth voice amp to save helmet space and cut down on electronically generated heat in the helmet.  It ran just under $100 to put together. 

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014, 11:09 AM »
For those of you interested in building your own stereo voice amp, here's what you'll need:

1) 20W stereo amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1752

2) 9v battery clip w/ power nib: https://www.adafruit.com/products/80 (You may be able to scavenge for this, but finding one with a nib is difficult)

3) Amplified adjustable gain mic: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063

4) 20mm button-cell battery holder: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1870  (If your into savaging for parts like me, you can de-solder one of these from an old PC motherboard to save $)

5) 20mm 3.5v battery (similar to what is used on computer motherboards.  If you have a volt meter, you may be able to re-use PC mobo batteries if enough voltage exists on the battery)

6) 4/8 ohm speakers (scavenge for these.)

7) *Optional* on/off switch. (You can scavenge for this as well)

8.) *Optional* Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQUNODQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Makes your voice amp wireless)

Wiring it up is pretty straight-forward, and instructions are available on the parts pages.  If you scavenge for the battery holder, speakers, and on/off switch then your looking at around $30 to build a powerful voice amp that will fit in just about every helmet.  You can also spend an additional $60 for a pair of bluetooth transmitters/receivers to build your own wireless bluetooth voice amp. :)     

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #8 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:02 PM »
For those of you interested in building your own stereo voice amp, here's what you'll need:

1) 20W stereo amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1752

2) 9v battery clip w/ power nib: https://www.adafruit.com/products/80 (You may be able to scavenge for this, but finding one with a nib is difficult)

3) Amplified adjustable gain mic: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063

4) 20mm button-cell battery holder: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1870  (If your into savaging for parts like me, you can de-solder one of these from an old PC motherboard to save $)

5) 20mm 3.5v battery (similar to what is used on computer motherboards.  If you have a volt meter, you may be able to re-use PC mobo batteries if enough voltage exists on the battery)

6) 4/8 ohm speakers (scavenge for these.)

7) *Optional* on/off switch. (You can scavenge for this as well)

8.) *Optional* Bluetooth receiver/transmitter.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DQUNODQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 (Makes your voice amp wireless)

Wiring it up is pretty straight-forward, and instructions are available on the parts pages.  If you scavenge for the battery holder, speakers, and on/off switch then your looking at around $30 to build a powerful voice amp that will fit in just about every helmet.  You can also spend an additional $60 for a pair of bluetooth transmitters/receivers to build your own wireless bluetooth voice amp. :)   

Wow, thank you for the detailed writeup! I might just put one of these together, as I have the majority of the difficult-to-find parts sitting around. :D

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Vix

• VI.IX.MMXIII
« Reply #9 on: Jul 23, 2014, 02:03 PM »
Wow, thank you for the detailed writeup! I might just put one of these together, as I have the majority of the difficult-to-find parts sitting around. :D

Mandalore 1, Vix 0

Lol

- Vix

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jul 23, 2014, 04:45 PM »
Makes me upset that I just junked some computers (in the middle of a move, didn't want to transfer junk from old to new)!!!

Time to see if I have any of the other stuff to scavenge.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #11 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:47 AM »
Regarding the Hong Kong amp, wouldn't the savings be offset by the need to get a 110v compatible power supply to recharge it?

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #12 on: Jul 24, 2014, 12:46 PM »
Regarding the Hong Kong amp, wouldn't the savings be offset by the need to get a 110v compatible power supply to recharge it?

It would, except the amp from Hong Kong was a made-for-US model. I ended up ordering one factory direct from a warehouse here in th states and it saved me more than $25.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #13 on: Jul 24, 2014, 01:50 PM »
Right on! Got a link?  ;D

« Last Edit: Jul 24, 2014, 02:17 PM by Kuu » Logged

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #14 on: Jul 24, 2014, 02:27 PM »
Right on! Got a link?  ;D

Here's a link to the MR1505 I bought. http://www.ebay.com/itm/180915814278?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
It came in really fast, and works amazingly. It's the same model you can find on Amazon or Voicebooster's website, except with international packaging and a US charging adapter.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 03, 2014, 10:32 AM »
After using the bluetooth voice amp this past weekend, I have decided that it's not a good replacement for wired voice amps.  The very short delay because of wireless transmission creates a weird echo, and makes vocalization very difficult to understand.  With that said, I'll be putting my voice amp back in the helmet. :)

On a good side, at least I prototyped it for you guys...so you don't have to spend the money to find out it doesn't work well.  I'll be re-purposing my BT transceivers for another project. 

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #16 on: Sep 03, 2014, 11:25 AM »
After using the bluetooth voice amp this past weekend, I have decided that it's not a good replacement for wired voice amps.  The very short delay because of wireless transmission creates a weird echo, and makes vocalization very difficult to understand.  With that said, I'll be putting my voice amp back in the helmet. :)

On a good side, at least I prototyped it for you guys...so you don't have to spend the money to find out it doesn't work well.  I'll be re-purposing my BT transceivers for another project.

Thanks for coming back to let us know how it performed!

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #17 on: Sep 03, 2014, 11:30 AM »
I use a 10W MR1506 all in my helmet-I guess the trick to it is avoiding feeback, I lined my cheeks with EVA and hot glue to reduce feedback.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
« Reply #18 on: Sep 03, 2014, 11:41 AM »
I use a 10W MR1506 all in my helmet-I guess the trick to it is avoiding feeback, I lined my cheeks with EVA and hot glue to reduce feedback.

You can fit a 1506 unit IN your bucket? I must just have a huge head, because I barely have room for the two battery boxes I have in there right now.

CAT #0960

Recon Wip

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #19 on: Sep 03, 2014, 01:50 PM »

I use a 20W class-D stereo amp: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1752 with an adjustable gain mic https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063.  The only real feedback I'm getting is because the mic isn't properly noise-shielded, but that will be rectified when I pull out the bluetooth transceiver.  There's no way I line my helmet with anything that serves as heat insulation, that would only screw up my air conditioning system...which works like a champ. :) 

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #20 on: Sep 03, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Ive gota get a shielded mic...AND SPEAKING  OF AIR CONDITIONING.....pm inbound I made  a discovery

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Reneth Justalari

• Kaysh guur' skraan - "He loves his food."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #21 on: Sep 03, 2014, 03:56 PM »
I use a 20W class-D stereo amp: http://www.adafruit.com/products/1752 with an adjustable gain mic https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063.  The only real feedback I'm getting is because the mic isn't properly noise-shielded, but that will be rectified when I pull out the bluetooth transceiver.  There's no way I line my helmet with anything that serves as heat insulation, that would only screw up my air conditioning system...which works like a champ. :)

Mandalore is my number 1 resource for anything Adafruit has to offer :P Cheers for the links. I may look into that option.

"No, no, no! This one goes there, that one goes there... Got it?"

MMCC #992 - Firestorm Clan
OM Troops #28

- Elegant Mandos Tea Society - #098
- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #22 on: Sep 22, 2014, 03:26 PM »
This weekend I was able to finish up and install the new 20W voice-amp upgrade.  Below is a picture of the amp in the 3D printed enclosure.

It's roughly 2/3 the size of my previous in-helmet voice amp.  Audio input is plugged in the bottom, 9v plugged into the right side, speakers plugged in the top.  I ran the volume potentiometer to the front of my helmet via remote line, so I can adjust the volume with the helmet on now.  That's a big improvement over having to adjust volume with the helmet on. ;)

Reneth Justalari

• Kaysh guur' skraan - "He loves his food."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Sep 22, 2014, 07:52 PM »
Very awesome Mandalore, I'd love to get my hands on one of those! That enclosure turned out really nice from the printer. Someday I'll get one of those haha!

"No, no, no! This one goes there, that one goes there... Got it?"

MMCC #992 - Firestorm Clan
OM Troops #28

- Elegant Mandos Tea Society - #098
- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!