Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Velleman Mk-171 Voice Changer Kit

• 27 Replies

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Velleman Mk-171 Voice Changer Kit
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 11:28 AM »
For those not trying to sound like Boba/Jango but just want some kind of voice/sound manipulation ... has anyone ever put together the Velleman Mk-171 Voice Changer kit and tried it out? (or even better piped it through an Aker MR1506 amp?)

http://www.amazon.com/Velleman-MK171-Voice-Changer/dp/B004XZQ6RE

If so, how did it sound? I found a vid on YouTube but it's in Spanish, but it seems the pitch modulation might be able to get a nice synthesized sound if one drops his/her voice a level or two (the vibrato and "robot" feature looks useless for what we do).

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
Re: Velleman Mk-171 Voice Changer Kit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 15, 2014, 11:37 PM »
I just found that same product (http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/mk-171/voice-changer-kit/1.html) and had many of the same questions. Also, I'm really hesitant, since I've never had much luck with soldering.

Anyone familiar enough with electronics to look at the board and explain what-all is on it? I don't see audio output or a mic.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

Armour Planning WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78236.0

Soft Parts WIP: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=77697.0

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Backstory: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=196736.0

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16, 2014, 02:57 AM »
output is the 2 metal stalks on the upper right corner of the board :) if you look at the amazon listing, you can make out the word 'speaker' upside down just beneath them :)

Don't have any experience with this board, but I can say velleman kits are very easy to put together, it's the electronic version of colour-by-numbers.If you follow the instructions, you just put on element #1 on spot #1, starting with the lowest, building up ( for ease of holding etc ).I'd suggest getting one of their smaller boards first to try and get a feel of soldering and the way they explain things.It isn't that hard if you are a little handy :)

Reneth Justalari

• Kaysh guur' skraan - "He loves his food."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 16, 2014, 11:19 AM »
Just so happens I was looking at this very kit early this weekend. Not sure what I would get for a decent speaker, any recommendations? I'm a complete noob when it comes to stuff like this so it's going to be a first for me haha!

EDIT:

With some more digging around on Amazon I stumbled upon these Motorbike Speakers. All I'd have to do is strip off the 3.5 jack, my only concern would be the amplification ability of those speakers.

« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2014, 11:28 AM by Reneth Justalari » Logged
"No, no, no! This one goes there, that one goes there... Got it?"

MMCC #992 - Firestorm Clan
OM Troops #28

- Elegant Mandos Tea Society - #098
- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 18, 2014, 09:52 PM »
output is the 2 metal stalks on the upper right corner of the board :) if you look at the amazon listing, you can make out the word 'speaker' upside down just beneath them

Could a 3.5mm audio jack be soldered in place of the on-board mic? I'd rather have a boom mic and the board somewhere else in the helmet.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Riye cuyir te tauira be a ori'jate jag.  Ni shi jate jag.  Pirusti, Ni cuy' an staabi!

WIP Photo Gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/aaronsneary/albums/72157717142691673

Reneth Justalari

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #5 on: Jul 18, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Bought the kit, built it today. Super upset with how cheap the board is, the copper elements were literally flaking off. I've contacted support and they said their going to send me another unit. As of right now I'm skeptical. But I will say the kit is easy to put together.

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #6 on: Jul 18, 2014, 10:18 PM »
Let us know if your bad version was a one-off or if the replacement is also bad, please.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #7 on: Jul 18, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Let us know if your bad version was a one-off or if the replacement is also bad, please.

Absolutely! Keep an eye posted. Hopefully I'll have it by Tuesday if it's shipped Monday and I'll be off work Tuesday so I'll build it then and post up my findings! :D

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19, 2014, 12:40 AM »
I find my voice amp provides enough modulation on its own.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

Nishi Ja'tejag

• Kal bat te woor!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:26 AM »
I find my voice amp provides enough modulation on its own.

Which brand do you use? All the ones on Amazon that are less than $50 have a lot of bad reviews.

Nishi Ja'tejag

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Jul 19, 2014, 01:57 AM »
When soldering, please remember to keep heat at the minimum required.If the copper flakes off, it's likely you heated it for too long.

Propper soldering goes like this;

- precoat the element's attachment in soldering tin (no globulets of tin, a small coating is enough)
- precoat the attachment point on the board in solder (same here), keep heat and time to a minimum.
- heat the attachment point and slip the element in.
- done :)

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #11 on: Jul 19, 2014, 02:00 AM »
When soldering, please remember to keep heat at the minimum required.If the copper flakes off, it's likely you heated it for too long.

Propper soldering goes like this;

- precoat the element's attachment in soldering tin (no globulets of tin, a small coating is enough)
- precoat the attachment point on the board in solder (same here), keep heat and time to a minimum.
- heat the attachment point and slip the element in.
- done :)

Thanks for the guide haha. But maybe I wasn't clear with my describing what happened. The copper was flaking off before any heat or solder was applied to the board.

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
« Reply #12 on: Jul 19, 2014, 04:56 AM »
Oh,my bad.Sorry Vod :) yeah, that's a bad batch, not your soldering skills ;)

Chro

• Rebel Spy
  • Like lukewarm water.
  • Awards Award for 75 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #13 on: Jul 19, 2014, 08:16 AM »
Which brand do you use? All the ones on Amazon that are less than $50 have a lot of bad reviews.

I use an Aker with the standard aker headset.

Chro on FB    |    Wampa Clan Ver’alor    |    Podcast Team

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #14 on: Jul 23, 2014, 10:04 PM »
I use an Aker with the standard aker headset.

Yup .... Aker MR 1505 - icomm - standard Headset ...  ;)
 Plenty Plenty loud .... Actually I don't think I've ever
run it above half way .... and it's behind my Chest plates ...   :rolleyes:

I've had a ton of Cheapish ones and they all are Dreadful ...  I would have
 saved money Buying the Aker First ... live and learn ... Don't make the Same mistake
Buy only Trusted Comms .... or Don't Bother ... Just sayin ..

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #15 on: Jul 26, 2014, 12:22 AM »
Sorry for the late posting Vode,

Due to some confusion on Amazons end, they have sent out a second kit to me at no charge. It will be arriving today, which is Saturday the 26th as I'm typing this. I'll post up later today with my findings on the Velleman MK171 kit!

Fingers Crossed!

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Well, thanks to the lovely folks at Fedex, my replacement was apparently "Damaged" and sent back to sender. I'm awaiting the arrival of the second replacement. Estimated ETA is Tomorrow the 29th.

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2014, 04:08 PM »
I bought this set and it was very easy to build, excellent step by step description and good quality. It does change the voice and you can set different heights of the output voice, but I get almost just sweeping out of the speaker. I hope it was some mistake I did while assembly, if not this set would be quite useless. If someone gets this to work properly I would like to see a demo video or an audio sample.

Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #18 on: Aug 18, 2014, 04:26 PM »
I bought this set and it was very easy to build, excellent step by step description and good quality. It does change the voice and you can set different heights of the output voice, but I get almost just sweeping out of the speaker. I hope it was some mistake I did while assembly, if not this set would be quite useless. If someone gets this to work properly I would like to see a demo video or an audio sample.

My replacement kit is working. I can see tat the mic is picking up sound however I'm not getting audio out from the device. Any suggestions folks?

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Kuu

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #19 on: Aug 18, 2014, 04:52 PM »
What did you hook the speaker PCB tabs to? Just a basic speaker?

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #20 on: Aug 18, 2014, 05:04 PM »
What did you hook the speaker PCB tabs to? Just a basic speaker?

I've hooked the leads onto the tabs but still no audio. I'm using a very low draw speaker that should work with the device

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Kuu

« Reply #21 on: Aug 19, 2014, 02:05 PM »
Hmm. Maybe go over your solder points and look for a rogue blog causing a possible short? Just guesses now.

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:38 PM »
Figured I'd try and put some life into this thread again. After looking at all the solder points the device is good to go. I believe my issue lies in with the speaker itself. I'm using an 8ohm 0.1 watt speaker. Is it possible that the speaker leads do not provide enough power for the speaker? I'm a newbie with this kind of stuff. 

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"

Reneth Justalari

« Reply #24 on: Sep 03, 2014, 04:03 PM »
I'll add this here to see what people think!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nuviz/the-first-head-up-display-for-motorcycle-helmets

The Nuviz seems to be the talk of the Mercs lately. However, this product *To my limited knowledge of what they've stated in their sales pitch* does not include a method of voice amplification.

OM Troops #28

- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!