Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear kit

• 23 Replies

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear kit
« on: Jul 15, 2014, 11:31 AM »
Similar to my thread on the Voice Modulator kit, what about this kit for helmet sound amplification? I just bought one on clearance locally.

Seems to me by putting the microphones on a longer wire instead of directly mounting them to the board you could rig this up nicely. Anyone built one before? How does it sound?

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Velleman MK136 Super Stereo Ear kit
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2014, 03:02 AM »
It's practically the same used by mynocks den, but on a single board ;

mynocks den tutorial ;

http://mynocksden.com/projects/stormtrooper-helmet-upgrade/environment-amplification.html

I do think however that our Glorious Leader, Mandalore used this kit for his bucket.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Actually, I built my own using scavenged components and a purchased pre-etched audio amp board.  :)

However I am working on a new version for the MKVI kit using the following parts:

1) 2, Amplified & adjustable gain microphones: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1063

2) 1,3.7W stereo amp: https://www.adafruit.com/products/987

3) 2, Bone conductor transducer: https://www.adafruit.com/products/1674

$40 in parts will build a very powerful external audio kit that uses transducers to turn your skull into the actual speakers, instead of needing speakers.  This way nobody can ever hear the external audio inside your bucket, and you don't risk causing a feedback loop with your voice amp's mic picking itself up in the external audio.  The mics are also pre-amplified and filtered before getting to the stereo amp, which gives you a much cleaner audio.   :)

Here's a youtube of how the induction transducer works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IS2uS_aWTHw

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Kuu

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Jul 23, 2014, 11:19 AM »
When you've got that on a breadboard, any chance of a pic?  :D

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:04 PM »
Mandalore; if you get that together, let us know if this works as it theoretically should :)

Wondering how you will incorporate the bluetooth into this :)

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:14 PM »
When you've got that on a breadboard, any chance of a pic?  :D

Sure!

Mandalore; if you get that together, let us know if this works as it theoretically should :)

Wondering how you will incorporate the bluetooth into this :)

I am planning to wire a bluetooth headset/mic into the system so I can sync with my Galaxy, much like my current rig.  That'll be the easy part though.   ;D

The hard part is going to be designing all the enclosures for the helmet circuitry, so I can 3D print them in the armory.  Everything has to fit just right for these transducers to work properly.

Kuu

« Reply #6 on: Jul 24, 2014, 05:33 AM »
Do your microphones share the same coin cell or a coin cell for each?

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:19 PM »
Do your microphones share the same coin cell or a coin cell for each?

No, they'll each need to be powered separately. My current system in the MK5 uses 2 rechargeable triple A batters to power each side.  I only have to recharge them once a year since that system uses low-fi speakers (which require very little power).   

Kuu

« Reply #8 on: Aug 06, 2014, 12:49 PM »
So... something I was thinking about as I was looking into home-make Sugru for covering the transducer...

What if Bo-Katan's head thingy was actually her audio setup, i.e. tight enough to push the bone conducting transducers up against her temporal bone (the frontmost area of the bone)?

Bo-Katan_KryzeHS by matt_ragan, on Flickr

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 12, 2014, 07:57 AM »
The transducers can touch any part of your skull and work, it doesn't necessarily have to be at the ear bones.  I'm probably going to create an enclosure that pushes them against my forehead.

Kuu

« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2014, 07:01 PM »
I built the basic kit with some wire to the microphones, the thing works great. Super loud (or could be, easily).  :laugh:

Helm electronics by matt_ragan, on Flickr

Kuu

« Reply #11 on: Nov 08, 2014, 01:11 AM »
Additional info, my wife Jaelie got an Uproar  and after doing side by side comparisons, unless you get the Velleman kit on sale or at a crazy discount, the Uproar is better bang for your buck and time.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2014, 07:33 AM »
Additional info, my wife Jaelie got an Uproar  and after doing side by side comparisons, unless you get the Velleman kit on sale or at a crazy discount, the Uproar is better bang for your buck and time.

Funnily enough I picked a velleman up last week for pretty cheap. Not had a chance to build it yet though.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2015, 11:50 PM »
seeing your board has helped me figure out what I need to do when I get mine. Thank you.

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2015, 12:35 AM »
I am wondering. Did our great Mandalore every get that set up to work? I am still putting my bucket together and I am contemplating making a transducer like that one. Or has anyone else used a set up like that?

Me "Mom why was 6 afraid of 7?" Mom "Why would a number be afraid of another number?" Me "Because 7, 8, 9!" Mom leaves with a blank look on her face.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #15 on: Jun 19, 2015, 08:55 AM »
I haven't gotten my MK6 bucket yet, so I can't really add anything to this conversation yet.

Although I have tested the bone transducers on myself with music to see how they will work, and am fairly happy with the results thus-far.  Of course they work best when closest to your ear, so I'll probably be positioning them to sit against my temples in the bucket.

Kuu

« Reply #16 on: Jun 19, 2015, 10:49 AM »
Are you using foam or something fancier to hold them up against your temples?

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2015, 10:56 AM »
Thank you thank you! ;D

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #18 on: Jul 14, 2015, 06:45 PM »
For anybody with single-sided hearing problems, this would be a really good setup.  I have about 40% hearing in my left ear and was actually looking into a bone conduction implant a while back.  If you get this up and running I'd be VERY interested in seeing how you did it.

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2015, 08:51 AM »
are you able to take a picture from above it. I bought 2 just incase i messed one up. So far the first one does not work. I went by the picture as my example, everything was fine until I had the last 3 resistors. They look like small circles with the 2 wires/connections that are orange, one is like a strange rectangle that is orange as well. I can see where one goes but not the others. The picture does show one of them is blue, but the kit I got are all orange. im sure once i figure out which one goes where it should work just fine.

Viking Goldfish

• Yo soy wampa!
« Reply #20 on: Jul 20, 2015, 03:23 AM »
Never mind, I found the issuse. I had to move one of the weird resistors to another spot. Now if only the solder would stick on one of the connections where the microphone wires connect to the board..

Raynos Ge'tal

• Give me a call, I'll build with you.
  • Awards Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 15+ clan level invasions Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2017, 11:30 AM »
Oh, found it after pestering you on FB kuu.

|Joined 03/2017| Troop Total: 50
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2018, 06:23 AM »
How can I get the kit fully completed and ready to install in my helmet?

Fi-8015

• Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2018, 07:18 AM »
These kits are really easy to assemble, if you own a soldering iron. If you don't, you may want to ask the people in your clan for help.
If everything else fails: I offer them assembled and slightly modified, too. Feel free to contact me, if you don't find someone else to help you.

Resin helmets for sale in the Trading Station

electriFi - Mando Electronics English / German

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!