Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Mandalorian cowboy 2.0

• 205 Replies

Russiya

• Live for today forget about tomarrow
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Mandalorian cowboy 2.0
« on: Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 PM »
Hello I am new but have purchased some armor  already was hoping for tips to post photos via mobile so you can see exactly what questions I may have about the pieces

« Last Edit: Jul 14, 2016, 05:48 PM by Russiya » Logged

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Russiyas WIP
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27, 2014, 12:28 AM »
You need a photobucket account and upload the pictures there, then copy and paste the direct link..will have [Img]tags. Hope that helps :)

^^^ please excuse typos my smart phone is di'kutula
Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Russiya

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Family events 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2014, 01:27 AM »
OK thanks for the help! you can see I have plates with the iconic skull on them and for added effect I would like to make the skull look like it is welded on . dose anybody have any tips.( I also have the neck plate not pictured)

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2014, 01:40 AM by Russiya » Logged

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2014, 01:58 AM »
That looks bad -censored-! I would recommend doing a fit test..tape the armor to you and let some OMs weigh in on how it all looks and if you need to trim some off or whatever the case may be. It would suck to get it all pretty and then have to ruin the design to get it to pass CRLs.

Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Russiya

« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2014, 02:53 AM »
I will try it on an take some photos but I had seller pull mesurments and I think they may fit. Purfect

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
« Reply #5 on: Jul 27, 2014, 03:06 AM »
I will try it on an take some photos but I had seller pull mesurments and I think they may fit. Purfect

Fingers crossed that is the case..but I know from building other costumes that having to adjust the fit to your specific body is kinda par for the course. Look forward to seeing pics of it on you and your progression.

Any ideas for color scheme?

Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Russiya

« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2014, 05:14 AM »
I am actually looking for a tattoine scheme withe exception of burgendy thrown in there the skull on the plates will look like a very old rusted weld . I tried a man do maker not satisfied with the color shade but is about what Im Looking for except the cod will match the rest of the plates

« Last Edit: Jul 27, 2014, 05:20 AM by Russiya » Logged

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2014, 05:50 AM »
Nice color concept. MandoMaker doesn't work for an exact match but it's great to point you in the right direction.

Definitely get those plates strapped on so we can see how they fit. The last thing you want to do is get everything painted up really nice only to find out the plates don't fit as well as you thought.

For the welding....

I did a quick google search for "welding discoloration" and found some really interesting photos.

The last pic look like what you want to do.

To create that kind of effect I'd use something like a 2-Part epoxy or even a thick glue/paste. But my first choice would be an epoxy puddy.

Hope this helps a little  ;D

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #8 on: Jul 27, 2014, 03:15 PM »
Nice color concept. MandoMaker doesn't work for an exact match but it's great to point you in the right direction.

Definitely get those plates strapped on so we can see how they fit. The last thing you want to do is get everything painted up really nice only to find out the plates don't fit as well as you thought.

For the welding....

I did a quick google search for "welding discoloration" and found some really interesting photos.

The last pic look like what you want to do.

To create that kind of effect I'd use something like a 2-Part epoxy or even a thick glue/paste. But my first choice would be an epoxy puddy.

Hope this helps a little  ;D
Those are discolorations caused by varying levels of heat on steel.  It's a little different...  Actually, if you're steady with a glue gun, you can drop a bead pattern handily, then use an alternating brown- and dark-red wash over the area.  Quick note- depending on the alloy and the filler metal used, some beads will resist rust, even when the plate around them is going to flakes.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #9 on: Jul 27, 2014, 10:20 PM »
Those are discolorations caused by varying levels of heat on steel.  It's a little different...  Actually, if you're steady with a glue gun, you can drop a bead pattern handily, then use an alternating brown- and dark-red wash over the area.  Quick note- depending on the alloy and the filler metal used, some beads will resist rust, even when the plate around them is going to flakes.
Hot glue is the best way to make the bead pattern, epoxy looks just as good, but is much more difficult to remove if you make a mistake.  Also you can go as fast or slow as you want with hot glue, while with epoxy you only have a set amount of time to work with.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Tyno Krast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Jul 28, 2014, 06:18 PM »
Hot glue would definitely get the job done. I prefer epoxy because it gives you a little more control and once it's on there you never have to worry about it peeling off or flexing and cracking your paint. And with most epoxies you've got a good 5-10 minutes to play around with shapes and patterns to get it looking exactly how you want. Plenty of time.

But the best stuff to use is whatever you're comfortable with  ;D

Russiya

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29, 2014, 12:06 AM »
Thank you I will test both methods befor trying them on armor the plates will hopefully be in wedsday and I will post pics for sizing and hopefully no triming needed . For paint is there any specific brand I should get?

Lilura Amas

• The Squeak'alor
« Reply #12 on: Jul 29, 2014, 08:12 PM »
Thank you I will test both methods befor trying them on armor the plates will hopefully be in wedsday and I will post pics for sizing and hopefully no triming needed . For paint is there any specific brand I should get?

My dh used Krylon with good results. As long as you stick with one brand..ie dont mix brands you should be fine. Love the color scheme cant wait to see it in reality

Mercaholic #122

OM #1178

Russiya

« Reply #13 on: Jul 31, 2014, 10:37 PM »
OK so I am still waiting on the plates lost some where in the mail... >:( but have begun buying paint in anticipation of coming home to armor but I figured it makes a great time to work on my weld / rust skills for my Mando check out the paint test and welding bead made with hot glue       sorry my tablet takes very bad pictures

Jorad Werde

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #14 on: Jul 31, 2014, 11:04 PM »
That paint looks great vod.  I'm in the same boat as you with my armor.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Russiya

« Reply #15 on: Aug 01, 2014, 08:03 PM »
So the armor is in and fits great due to the masking tape not wanting to hold it looks lopsided but from what I see it is the correct size

« Last Edit: Aug 01, 2014, 08:08 PM by Russiya » Logged

Jorad Werde

« Reply #16 on: Aug 01, 2014, 08:19 PM »
it looks like the chest and stomach plates could use a bit more curve.  Maybe that's just me though. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Russiya

« Reply #17 on: Aug 01, 2014, 08:40 PM »
Yes I was thinking the same thing but mostly just on the ab plate the black shirt does not do the picture justice

Jin'thal Ca'vallas

• Mandalorians are stronger together
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year.
« Reply #18 on: Aug 01, 2014, 09:00 PM »
rust paint looks awesome.... BUT if it helps Games Workshop paints has some special effects acrylics for this effect. If they are good for my stupid expensive plastic crack toy soldiers surely they are good enough for armor. Typhus Corrosion and Ryza's Rust are the name of the effect paints

Russiya

« Reply #19 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:32 PM »
I think I will have the rust covered did the "weld" and some dents with a dremel sanded down and primered 1 coat

Jorad Werde

« Reply #20 on: Aug 01, 2014, 11:48 PM »
It looks like braided rope right now, but once it's painted I'm sure it'll look great

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Tyno Krast

« Reply #21 on: Aug 05, 2014, 01:01 PM »
 Chest plates seem a little wide but that could be from them being a bit off because of the tape. Before you mount them or get too heavy into the paint process try to take another pic just to double check the size and alignment. Las thing you want to is to spend days on a kickass paint job only to be told your plates need to be trimmed/shaped.

For paint I like Krylon for it's fast drying time. They also make a "rust" color that I used for my armor. Rustolium is good too but it takes a bit longer to dry.

The weld lines do look kind of braided or stitched. But it's a cool effect and I'm sure it will look really col once it's painted up.

Keep up the progress!!

Russiya

« Reply #22 on: Aug 05, 2014, 10:03 PM »
OK here is a list of recent progress the plates shifted again on the shirt but you can see that with adjusted spacing they are correctly sized .

Natan Vizsla

• Not the Force, excessive force.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #23 on: Aug 05, 2014, 10:10 PM »
The "weld" looks much better with the paint on. They seem like a good fit but it looks like there is too much space between everything.

Jorad Werde

« Reply #24 on: Aug 06, 2014, 05:57 AM »
The weld does look a lot better, but throw a bit of blue and green streaking around the outside and inside edges of the weld line, it doesn't quite look right yet IMHO

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!