Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

DC-18r Blaster (WIP) Update 15/03/2015 lights!

• 36 Replies

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
DC-18r Blaster (WIP) Update 15/03/2015 lights!
« on: Aug 09, 2014, 05:07 PM »
"It's all y-yours!" the former Aratech engineer blurted out as he pushed a heavy durasteel case away from himself, wiping his forehead in a slow motion out of fear for retribution. "I want nothing more to do with this damned project. First the New Republic, now this!"
Koran knew from experience that, since the op at Taris, every contract had its upsides. But nothing could rival the sense of power and achievement that currently caused his hairs to stand on end. Koran leant in to inspect his latest spoils; an improved power cell module, a larger barrel...but despite the vast improvements, he noted its startling resemblance to both DC-15S and the dreaded E-11; sending an all too familiar feeling down his spine.

Su'cuy, Vod!

My first steps into the realm of Mando'a are in something I am somewhat familiar with: weapons design. I want to use my Mando as an excuse to develop my own non-canon weapons that have a distinctive swarsy flavour. If you didn't guess it already, I wanted to put my own stamp on one of my favourite weapons, the DeeCee.

My project, the DC-18r, will be my primary weapon. I want this to appear to be a spiritual successor to the DeeCee line of weapons, but also include a few details that tie it in to the more 'modern' E-11. My guidlines for creating this weapon are:

1) Power pack & feed is to be on the opposite side of the weapon - ergonomic
2) Must be larger and more 'dread-inspiring' than the DeeCee
3) Must possess the characteristic 'T-rails'
4) Must possess the distinctive forward-folded stock that we all know and love
5) Needs to be personalised - Koran's markings, leather wrapping around the pistol grip etc.

With these guidelines in mind, I turned toward a Nerf weapon. Having dabbled in cosplay for many years (and studing in the 'stare at Niabi's work until you cry' school for Mandos) I am willing to give heavy modification a shot! Without further stalling for time rambling:

This is a Nerf Raider CS-35, apparantly. I've removed the stock and big magazine, and decided this is a good starting point.

Busting out the dremel to get rid of pesky logos!

These are far too nerfy. Sanding heads for the win!

Here I have removed the tube that connects to a stock and the pump-action grip thingy. Some of the internals, including the trigger, have been removed. I know that guidelines state I must remove all internal working is a must, so that is my next thing on the list!

Here is a breakdown of the sections. Aside from the obvious stuff like sanding, the plan is:
Red - fully remove raised section with product name to a smooth surface. Add T-rails. Add those cool semiciricle thingies.
Green - create the classic folding stock from either plasticard or sheet metal. Not sure where to source metal, but it sounds...stronger.
Black - create a new back-end for the gun to match the DC-15. Add greebles. Add scope (PVC?).

So there we are. Sorry for the long post, I've just finished moving into my first home and have been eager to start for almost three months!
Rhino

« Last Edit: Mar 15, 2015, 01:19 PM by Koran Orainn » Logged

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
Re: DC-18r Blaster thread (WIP)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2014, 01:38 AM »
Looks like a cool base! I like what you've done so far. I hope the greebs and mods meet some of the app guys standards when she's done. Nerf is a dangerous road to travel when it comes to weapons nowadays  :laugh:

Korran Orainn

« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2014, 06:45 AM »
Looks like a cool base! I like what you've done so far. I hope the greebs and mods meet some of the app guys standards when she's done. Nerf is a dangerous road to travel when it comes to weapons nowadays  :laugh:

Thanks Jaing! I've got a cubic buttload of old modelling bits and spare Airsoft parts, so hopefully I can sort something :)

I know it'll be quite a bit of work, but I am willing to put it all in to make sure it lives up to my stupid standards! (even if I burn myself or end up waving my dremel around aimlessly for a few hours ;D)

I've ordered some sheet metal today to start with the folded stock and some basic panelling, so hopefully that'll arrive inside of this week! I've also started to make the T-rails for the front-end of the weapon.

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2014, 08:17 AM »
I have one of these nerf guns too there is a lot of potential in them but i decided to use E11 for my first one I shall keep my eye on this though, as I would love to see what you have in mind for it.

Justyn's first WIP http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=79254.0
M.A.D #52
MAJIC #137
EMTS  #107 for the glory of tea

Korran Orainn

« Reply #4 on: Aug 15, 2014, 05:05 PM »
I have one of these nerf guns too there is a lot of potential in them but i decided to use E11 for my first one I shall keep my eye on this though, as I would love to see what you have in mind for it.

Thanks Justyn!

Wee update; The sheet metal I ordered arrived this morning. Progress has been slow due to work, but I do have some pictures for you:

The Metal!

This is actually a clothes hangar - I see a T-rail, with a bit of chopping!

I used a Dremel to widen the hole in the front of the weapon, and put a cut-to-measure piece of plastic in to match the front end of the DC-15S (my favourite bit!), using this as a reference for both the circumfrence of the extrusion and the hole in the muzzle: http://th02.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/f/2011/295/1/7/dc_15s_blaster_carbine_wip_by_broodofevil-d4dkjr6.png

Hopefully I can buy some screws on the weekend and get the folded stock cut out and in to place! I also need to source up those little loops but the front sight post, and stick filler in the screw holes :)

Korran Orainn

« Reply #5 on: Aug 25, 2014, 03:56 PM »
Over a week since the last update! Thanks to this Bank Holiday, I've gotten in a wee bit more work:

First off, the T-rails have been cut down to size and stuck on to the main body of the weapon. I quite like the look, and hopefully with a bit of filler and a tidy paintjob, it'll look the business!

Next up, I cut some of the metal for the folding stock. This isn't the whole thing, I'll need to add in underside pieces as well, and I will need to get the dimensions once it's all fixed in to place.

Holes drilled. Nothing fancy here! The pieces will be attached via bolts, so there is a possibility that I could make this a functioning folding stock. We'll see!

A better picture showing the attachment to the main body:

And lastly, a rough idea of how it stands at the moment!

Managed to get a wire coat hanger a few minutes ago, so I shall be using that for those semilunar...uhhh...things. I lost my primer in the house move, so I'll need to pick up more of that in the week. Thoughts? :)

Rhino

I think it looks sweet!  ;D
just wondering are  you planning on making the folding stock usable or just there for show?

Verd ori'shya beskar'gam. - "A warrior is more than his armor"

Korran Orainn

I think it looks sweet!  ;D
just wondering are  you planning on making the folding stock usable or just there for show?

I could do! The screws pictured above were just temporary; I made some new fixings last night that do actually allow for movement. It would mean that I would need to reshape bits of the metal, but I am certainly contemplating it!

Thanks for the comment :)

Korran Orainn

Re: DC-18r Blaster thread (WIP) Updated 21/09
« Reply #8 on: Sep 21, 2014, 04:29 PM »
Big update!

Roughly 70% done. Still needs a washing, those metal semilunar things,  a scope, leather wrappings for the handle, and a plastic insert for the power cell. Here are the progress pictures!

Underplate shaped and fit:

Foam used as a base for the back end, ready for filler!

Filler applied to rear/screwholes etc.

Greeblies pt1

Greeblies pt2

PAINT!

MOAR PAINT!

Zechs

• Overkill is underrated
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: DC-18r Blaster thread (WIP) Updated 21/09 - Paint!
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2014, 05:26 PM »
Pretty impressive!  Now just add a scope for the finishing touch

AKA "Lightning Rod"

"Heh.  You survived?  I can fix that."

MMCC #1082
BOMB #41
MABEL #54
ALUMINATI #28

Jaing Vau

• "Verd ori'shya beskar'gam"
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2014, 11:59 PM »
Very awesome indeed! I may have to do this mod myself. Colour me impressed ner vod!  ;D

Korran Orainn

« Reply #11 on: Sep 22, 2014, 08:46 AM »
Very awesome indeed! I may have to do this mod myself. Colour me impressed ner vod!  ;D

Thanks Jaing, that means alot!

Hopefully when I do the other bits mentioned previously (and tidy up the paintwork!) It'll look pretty good. I ordered a resin cast of the M38 scope used on the E-11 which should help. Gonna pinch some cabling for external wiring today too! :3

Korran Orainn

« Reply #12 on: Sep 28, 2014, 12:01 PM »
Updaaaaaaaaate!

A little bit more paint, a scope, some wrappings and those cool...thingies above the muzzle!

Closer look at the semilunar thingies

Scope

Back view

What do you all think? :3

Serim Merec

• A Moose...
Re: DC-18r Blaster thread (WIP) Updated 28/09 - Almost There!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:06 PM »
What do I think? ...Other than maybe replacing the leather wrap with something thinner, this is one of the best Nerf mods I have seen! Period.

Ori'kandosii!

M.A.J.I.C #070 - We Die On Our Feet!
M.A. #007 - The first step is admitting it

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2014, 09:54 PM »
What do I think? ...Other than maybe replacing the leather wrap with something thinner, this is one of the best Nerf mods I have seen! Period.

Ori'kandosii!
Agreed.  The leather wrap kinda brings down an otherwise spectacular mod.

Korran Orainn

« Reply #15 on: Oct 04, 2014, 04:39 AM »
Agreed.  The leather wrap kinda brings down an otherwise spectacular mod.

Ori'kandosii!

Thanks for the feedback Vode, I'll get right on it! :)

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #16 on: Oct 05, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Hell of a mod job. I wish I had your skill. Going to have to look over my pistols tomorrow and then maybe look over some strategies people have on here.

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Korran Orainn

« Reply #17 on: Oct 05, 2014, 08:56 AM »
Hell of a mod job. I wish I had your skill. Going to have to look over my pistols tomorrow and then maybe look over some strategies people have on here.

Thank you for the kind words! I have no skill at all, this was the first thing of this scale I've ever done! Its all trial and error (in my case, usually error!) and a nice bits box.

Glad you've enjoyed the thread so far dude :)

Korran Orainn

« Reply #18 on: Oct 08, 2014, 11:39 AM »
I was just thinking, it'd be nice to hear from some chaps from the approval team regarding this build. Assuming I apply proper leather strips and not my bodged attempt, tidy up the paintwork, sort out the display and whatnot, what else would need to be done in order to make it passable? Anything glaring I am missing out on that I can action?

Thanks for the responses thus far all, I've been waylaid by work on my bucket, but I shall be returning soon with cabling and other cool stuff!

« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2014, 09:05 AM »
I was just thinking, it'd be nice to hear from some chaps from the approval team regarding this build. Assuming I apply proper leather strips and not my bodged attempt, tidy up the paintwork, sort out the display and whatnot, what else would need to be done in order to make it passable? Anything glaring I am missing out on that I can action?

Thanks for the responses thus far all, I've been waylaid by work on my bucket, but I shall be returning soon with cabling and other cool stuff!

Well I'm not approval team but one way to have your leather strips (and perhaps a different way than usual) is to have it as a leather sling wrapped around the pistol grip to keep it out of the way.

Beskar'gam Progress: Design Stage
Ren Tinith Concept Thread [Drop Pack - Armoury]

Winter's Dawn
« Reply #20 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:55 PM »
Looks good, vod.

I'm not on the app team either, but if its supposed to be a cross between the DC-15s and the E-11. I'd extend the back a bit.

See how the backs sticks out more.

Your's looks more like a cross between a DC-15s and a DC-17m, to me. Not saying that's a bad thing. But really all I see that's similar to the e-11 is the scope and the left hand mag. (Course I'm just assuming that's the mag on the left.)
This is all just my opinion, but the shorter end on it still looks nerfy, specially with that grip. But again, its just me.

It really does look good as is. I just think it looks more like the back end of a DC-17m with the front of a DC-15s.

Korran Orainn

« Reply #21 on: Oct 15, 2014, 04:32 PM »
Looks good, vod.
I'm not on the app team either, but if its supposed to be a cross between the DC-15s and the E-11. I'd extend the back a bit.

See how the backs sticks out more.
Your's looks more like a cross between a DC-15s and a DC-17m, to me. Not saying that's a bad thing. But really all I see that's similar to the e-11 is the scope and the left hand mag. (Course I'm just assuming that's the mag on the left.)
This is all just my opinion, but the shorter end on it still looks nerfy, specially with that grip. But again, its just me.

It really does look good as is. I just think it looks more like the back end of a DC-17m with the front of a DC-15s.

Exactly the feedback I needed Vod, thanks very much!
I've been waylaid with making my Beskar, but to anyone following this thread; stay tuned, I shall return!

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Oct 15, 2014, 05:10 PM »
Great mod you have going on here!

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Guy'ikaab

• I am Ghengis Kahn bathed in rainbow sherbert!
« Reply #23 on: Oct 16, 2014, 12:13 AM »
Your's looks more like a cross between a DC-15s and a DC-17m, to me. s.

So what you're saying, Vod's made a DC-16

Some say he can jump-start a firespray by headbutting its control panel, and that his favorite pastime is throwing Ewoks into a lake of fire. He's not the Stig, he's the Stig's mandalorian cousin.

Mir'Sheb #022
M.A.J.I.C. #148
Grey Brigade OT guard #050
MA#141
"lenedat de'da, jii kyr'adyc"

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:36 AM »
If you ask me I'd say that the bumps ontop of the baster still look pretty nerfy, as does the handle. I'd suggest you sand off the bumps on top and leave it smooth.

As for he handle, yes you can fix it by wrapping it with leather yeah. But I personally think it would look 100x better if you mod the handle to look like that of a DC or E11, You have the skill, and I feel it would make this great build perfect.

I also think extending the back would be a pretty good call as it looks rather front heavy.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!