Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kryamla's Soft Parts WIP

• 56 Replies

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Kryamla's Soft Parts WIP
« on: Aug 11, 2014, 08:10 PM »
Hello! I haven't really gotten much done when it comes to my kit because I've been doing a lot of research about what/how to do things properly! I have some ideas, but would love the opinions of people who know what they're doing and know if these things will qualify properly as my soft parts. Also, as a side note, I'm a poor college student looking to do my kit on a budget.

These are some questions that I've run into thus far!

First, I'm a very petite lady. Only 5'2"! So I had a hard time finding a flight suit in my size. I'm looking to have a white flight suit. So those two factors have made it difficult to find anything. I checked the local paint stores around my house and they only sell overalls, not coveralls. That lead me to think that a two-piece flight suit would have to work. I've read that people suggest scrubs for the flight suit, but quite frankly I always look like I'm drowning in scrubs, nor can I ever really find a pair of scrub pants that fit me around the waist. I found a pair of white baseball pants at a sports store and was wondering if this would be acceptable?

For the top part of the flight suit, I was thinking about a cheerleading white body liner (the kind that snaps at the bottom, with long sleeves and a collar). Again, is this acceptable as a flight suit? (This is only my second post to this site and I am unsure of how to post pictures...*sigh*)

Second, for the vest...I read somewhere on the forums to try a cheerleading vest. I found a plain white one here:
http://cheer.epicsports.com/prod/16323/alleson-straight-cheerleaders-uniform-shells.html
Is this acceptable? I would modify it a little but I just wanted to make sure that this would be acceptable before I purchased it.

Third, for the gloves...I was thinking about modifying golf gloves somehow. I'm a little unsure about how to do this, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to do this or other good ways to make good looking gloves I would love the help!

Fourth, boots. I'm going to try to stick to white as my base color (I guess you could call it?) and my mom suggested rain boots? Again, I would modify and add things but as a starting point...?

Long rant over, any and every suggestion would be lovely!  :)

« Last Edit: Aug 12, 2014, 04:48 PM by Kryamla Redalur » Logged
Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: 1st Kit/Questions about Soft Parts
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2014, 09:19 PM »
As long as your flight suit appears to be one piece when you are suited up it should be fine.

As far as modifying the gloves it would depend on the type of gloves that you got, but you would have to make sure no logos are visible. You could either use hand plates or maybe remove the stitching if the logos are stitched on. Again it really depends on what you end up with.

I would be wary about using rain boots as a base. They probably wouldn’t blend really well with the armor. Unless you have some ideas you could show that may work. I would check out the local thrift stores and see if you couldn’t find anything for cheap. You can always use boot and shin armor to cover the laces.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 11, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Okay perfect! I will definitely look into thrift stores around my house for boots! Thank you for the help!  :D

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2014, 03:48 PM »
Another question for everyone! I'm looking to make a kama and was thinking about attaching it to this belt somehow:

http://www.target.com/p/merona-smooth-belt-white/-/A-14601963#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=white+belt

Would this be acceptable? Or would I have to modify the belt buckle because it looks too 'earthy'?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Re: Kryamla's Soft Parts WIP
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2014, 05:36 PM »
That belts perfectly fine with that buckle.
I have my kama on a belt that runs underneath my girthbelt and the belt with all my pouches on it so the buckle isn't visible anyway.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #5 on: Aug 13, 2014, 09:54 PM »
That belts perfectly fine with that buckle.
I have my kama on a belt that runs underneath my girthbelt and the belt with all my pouches on it so the buckle isn't visible anyway.

Perfect, thank you! :)

Here is the concept to my kit.

I haven't decided if I want to add any patterns to the armor itself yet, but I thought that I could at least get started on the soft parts. Currently, I do not have the top part of my flight suit and vest (but plan on purchasing those items soon). So mostly, all I have is the bottom half of the soft parts (minus boots, again, will be purchased soon!). I have the kama, a sash (almost finished, just need to figure out a way to secure it in the back), and the loin cloth. I do not have a sewing machine so I hand sewed everything. My hands are not happy with the amount of times they were pricked!  :o

Here is the front:

(I think the picture was taken crooked...?)

Here is the back:

Here is a close up of the front:

Any and all thoughts are appreciated!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2014, 05:42 AM »
 8) That's looking very nice. Got my kudos on hand sewing it all, I'd be lost without my machine.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Chance Meridian

• Proud Member of Clan Raquor'daan
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #7 on: Aug 14, 2014, 08:58 PM »
Hand sewn??? Jebus! :o :o

I have enough trouble using my sewing machine. Nice idea overlapping the back of the skirt, think I will have to steal that idea :)

Mandalorian Merc #826
MTS (Mando-Tough): #007
V.R.C.A #37

"Shiny"
https://www.facebook.com/CMeridian/

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Aug 14, 2014, 11:04 PM »
Hand sewn??? Jebus! :o :o

I have enough trouble using my sewing machine. Nice idea overlapping the back of the skirt, think I will have to steal that idea :)

Oh I'm flattered! Thank you!  :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2014, 11:19 PM »
So currently the funds are severely low so I haven't been able to purchase the vest and body liner yet to complete the flight suit and vest but I was looking around on the good old internet for gloves, boots, ammo pouches and I came up with these two options that I really like:

Gloves: http://www.amazon.com/Kursheuel-Womens-Leather-Fingerless-Covered/dp/B00HAGIRUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-1&keywords=womens+nappa+leather+fingerless+gloves+punk+white

I like that these are plain so I could easily add details or hand plates to them if I wanted to. And I really like the fingerless part too. Being that they are leather I feel that I could weather these more easily than perhaps a knit glove? I would purchase white.

Boots: http://www.amazon.com/West-Blvd-Womens-Sweater-Motorcycle/dp/B00I13BC14/ref=sr_1_6?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1408331239&sr=1-6&keywords=white+motorcycle+boots

I like that these are knee high and I feel that they would look good if my flight suit was tucked in or over it. I feel that I could easily weather these just by wearing them out and about and wouldn't have to do anything too crazy to them. I think that the little belts/buckles on the boots would tie in with the belt that I have currently. Not too sure about the knit part on top but I could always cut that off or tuck it in.

Ammo Pouches: https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2961

These ammo pouches are vintage and under the description it states to expect wear; this is something I really like because again with the weathering, I wouldn't have to do much. The only thing that makes me nervous is that I do not know if my belt that I have know will fit through the loops on the back.

Anyway, that's all I have for now. Thoughts?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Aug 18, 2014, 10:46 AM »
All of those look really nice, and I'm sure they'll go great with your kit.  Must have been hard to find everything in white like that - how long did you have to look for the pouches?

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #11 on: Aug 18, 2014, 12:30 PM »
All of those look really nice, and I'm sure they'll go great with your kit.  Must have been hard to find everything in white like that - how long did you have to look for the pouches?

Surprisingly not as long as I thought I was going to have to but it still did take me some time. Maybe a few hours in total after I checked my usual hot spots (amazon and ebay).

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23, 2014, 06:37 PM »
Guess what came in the mail today?! My boots and gloves! I love them. They're not as white as they looked online however, magically they are the same color white leather as each other! Another great surprise, the white leather matches the belt that I have already. Here is the latest picture that I have so far.

So the white as you can see is not as bright but I think it looks nice. I think that if it had been all bright white like I had originally thought, it all would have blended in together and not looked as good. But of course, I would love some feedback!  :D

(P.S. Please ignore my kitties in the background, tee hee)

« Last Edit: Aug 24, 2014, 08:13 PM by Kryamla Redalur » Logged
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Aug 24, 2014, 12:11 AM »
Looking good!  Although I agree about the knitted tops - I do think it would look better without them.  Knits just don't seem very MandoTough(TM) :laugh:

(P.S. Please ignore my kitties in the background, tee hee)

I didn't even notice them till you said something  :P

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #14 on: Aug 24, 2014, 06:10 AM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the soft top to the boots. One your knee armor will most likely cover most of it up, second they almost give off a Padme vibe, don't know why.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #15 on: Aug 24, 2014, 08:17 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about the soft top to the boots. One your knee armor will most likely cover most of it up, second they almost give off a Padme vibe, don't know why.

I hope that's good!  :laugh:

Looking good!  Although I agree about the knitted tops - I do think it would look better without them.  Knits just don't seem very MandoTough(TM) :laugh:

I see what you mean for sure! But, I was just going to leave them for now. They can always be removed or tucked in at a later time!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP
« Reply #16 on: Aug 24, 2014, 09:57 PM »

I'm gonna disagree with you, ner' vod....I actually like it that way!

BTW, Excellent job Kry!  These are looking great so far!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24, 2014, 11:22 PM »

Thank you so much!  :) 

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #18 on: Aug 25, 2014, 05:14 AM »
raet work so far vod ;) Nice sowing skills ;)

Love the boots ;) i\ like the knitted tops of them myself  :rolleyes: Looks like it seals you in

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #19 on: Aug 25, 2014, 08:45 AM »
I'm gonna disagree with you, ner' vod....I actually like it that way!

Not sure what your point was, I never said I didn't like them. But regardless, considering how high on her leg the knit part sits, when the knee armor is strapped on, it will cover a fair amount of the soft part.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #20 on: Aug 26, 2014, 04:42 PM »
raet work so far vod ;) Nice sowing skills ;)

Love the boots ;) i\ like the knitted tops of them myself  :rolleyes: Looks like it seals you in

Thank you very much! I really appreciate that!  ;D

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #21 on: Sep 10, 2014, 12:20 PM »
Super Minor Update:

Sorry about the lack of updates lately! School has started up again and that is super time consuming (only one more semester then I'll be a college graduate, yay!). Anyway...the body liner (for my flight suit) is delivered, just needs to be picked up! Expect a picture update soon with that! I ordered a vest so that should be here within a week or so! Also ordered is the kydex, should be here soon too, therefore work on the armor portion will begin fairly soon!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #22 on: Sep 12, 2014, 06:31 PM »
As promised, here is the body liner with everything so far! As I look at everything, I'm thinking that the sash thing looks too wide however, I'll make the final call to make it smaller once everything is finished.

(if the white doesn't look exactly white, I promise that it is; I'm just wearing a grey tank top underneath because the material is super sheer and I didn't really want to give y'all a show!)

On an unrelated note, the kydex came in too so I'll be starting the armor hopefully soon!!  ;D

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #23 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:07 PM »
Long time no post. Sorry about that vode but school has taken over! The vest came in! I need to add the cap sleeve-y things still lol

(The picture is crooked)

So I made another sash but I don't like it and I'm feeling quite confused about how to make one. So I could use some help! I prefer a sash over a girth belt. Any suggestions, hints, advice would be a huge help!  :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Veman Gilamar

• Awards Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #24 on: Sep 25, 2014, 11:33 PM »
I like the purple sash, and agree its a good idea to make the call on the width after you have your plates done.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!