Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Using Digital Picture Frames instead of expensive custom electronics

• 27 Replies
Has anybody used a small (1.5") digital picture frame for putting up various displays on their kits?  You can pick them up from Amazon for as cheap as $9.  I was thinking of using one in the chest display area.  The one I had laying around can display up to 107 pictures and you can put them on a timer.  I was just going to put screens up of varying colors and the like.  I had hoped it would work with a gif, but the one I have doesn't seem to.

These things could be used for all sorts of things from displays on gauntlets, weapons, armor.  Mine charges simply from a USB plug.  Somebody with better electronics knowledge than I could probably even figure out how to wire one to run off a battery backup.

Anybody have any good ideas?

]http://www.amazon.com/August-DP150-Digital-Photo-Built-/dp/B001PCS4PA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1408722944&sr=8-4&keywords=small+digital+frame]

« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2014, 12:35 PM by bunnyfoofoo » Logged
If it's on a timer then ask someone to break the gif down into frames for you and set the timing so you go a nice flow between the frames. That said though it's definitely a good idea, you could have it display anything from topography to bounties or anything in between.

Beskar'gam Progress: Design Stage
Ren Tinith Concept Thread [Drop Pack - Armoury]

Winter's Dawn
I like the bounty display idea!  That would work great in a gauntlet!

Fettski

• The Crab'alor
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 50 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
I like this!!!!!

Aliit ori'shya tal'din - "Family is more than blood.
I like the bounty display idea!  That would work great in a gauntlet!

It would work even better if you turned it into a magpad so you can pull it off for a closer look, possibly set into a comm device.

Beskar'gam Progress: Design Stage
Ren Tinith Concept Thread [Drop Pack - Armoury]

Winter's Dawn

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I liked the chest lights idea, so I figured what the heck... so here's a 128 x 128 pixel template in GIMP (open source software) on my Google Drive
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_SAkgUdio4BTEpRSEVNU0JEVDA/edit?usp=sharing

I used the Rafalfett sequence and bashed these up, hope they work as a starting point
01_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

02_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

03_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

04_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

05_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

06_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

07_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

08_ESB_ChestLight by matt_ragan, on Flickr

(yes the one in the middle is supposed to be duplicated according to Rafalfett's notes, as it "hangs" longer - but personally I'd leave it out so they're all the same length, but whatever).

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

JarekVekarrIrunel

I have one in my (new) gaunt, 2" x 3", that flips between scanner and radar screens.

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Excellent idea! I just picked one up for my Gaunt, should look nice next to a control pad :)

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Here's another idea that is pretty cheap if you want some illuminated button images on your gaunts.

Use one of these diffused LED backlights from Adafruit.com
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1626

Just print out your button patterns in-color on a sheet of plastic transparency (make sure to use black in the background areas), and the backlight LED will make nice and bright like they are powered up.  It doesn't get much simpler than this. :)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*
Thanks for the picture sequence!  I also like the backlit LED, although it might strain my limited skills in soldering and powering stuff.  What kind of battery would you connect something like that to?

Kuu

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
I was sitting around so I figured I'd do something of use, these are the small ones (the 128x128 pixel which is about 1" active size). 

Coby dp 151 1.5" digital photo keychain

August dp150 1.5" LCD digital photo frame

« Last Edit: Sep 03, 2014, 11:10 PM by Kuu » Logged

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Here's another idea that is pretty cheap if you want some illuminated button images on your gaunts.

Use one of these diffused LED backlights from Adafruit.com
http://www.adafruit.com/products/1626

Just print out your button patterns in-color on a sheet of plastic transparency (make sure to use black in the background areas), and the backlight LED will make nice and bright like they are powered up.  It doesn't get much simpler than this. :)

I have one of these for lighting up Kai's chest plate. they look amazing :)

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
Do those mini digital frames shine up quite bright?

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Kuu

They seem pretty bright. They're not like a flashlight or anything, but certainly bright enough to be seen by the folks with whom you'll be speaking/interacting face to face.

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
Perfect.at go down this route.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Korran Orainn

Made a top plate for a gaunt and hollowed it out to fit a keyboard and photoframe, thanks to this thread I built this whole gauntlet for an approximate £7:

Still a WIP of course!

Kuu

Top shelf mate! That's fantastic

That looks awesome - keep us updated on this one!

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
Looks awesome that gauntlet. Thinking of putting one in mine too.

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Eitanya

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Special Operations Brigade Member Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions TCW and Rebels Canon Mandalorians
Ooh, I'm gonna have to remember this for Sabine's new gauntlets. :D

Korran Orainn

Thanks for the kind words, all!

As a reference, the photoframe in question is an Advent ADE-MDPF 1.5 I bought this here in the UK from Amazon for £3. It's got quite a chunky back, so you will need to cut in to your gaunt. Furthermore, if you have a Windows 7 or later machine, you will have to jimmy the software a little to get it to work!

That said, the results are great:

That has come out sweeter than sweet!  ;D

Simmy_82

• Vash Noth
What images did you use??

WIPs
Helmet - Complete
Armour - Complete
Soft Parts - Complete
Weapons - Complete
Gaunts - Complete

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Oh wow, that's awesome work.  You integrated it nicely into your gaunt, and I love the images.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Korran Orainn

Oh wow, that's awesome work.  You integrated it nicely into your gaunt, and I love the images.

True praise, Mand'alor, 'tis but a Work in Progress!

Thank you very much for your kind works, all, it's what keeps me working towards OM :)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!