Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Macs custom Light Infantry Mandalorian

• 39 Replies

Sgtmac

• Peace through superior firepower...
Macs custom Light Infantry Mandalorian
« on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:00 PM »
Well i begin the journey.  having smurfed around in my footlockers, i find the goodies to make my costume.   The look shall be a light armor Mando that i can build up from over time.  Medium grey soft parts, kelly green armor, light grey, white, and black edging  3 chevrons on the left chest in light grey edged in black divided by white.  gaunts cod shoulders solid kelly. wiht a white or light grey marking.  the helmet, will be kellygreen, red or gold visor(undecided) and some very nice facial artwork.  at this time i want to tie in some patches form my gaming and real world service life, but thats gonna wait till armor is assembled.  im thinking of double thickening my armor by using premade sintra or abs i am ordering, and under that, have the sterilite tote plastic.  Opinions on this?

The soft parts.   My dye attempts wiht ACUs was an abject failure, I found a dying guide, but have decided to just go with Solid grey BDUS.  THe guide to dye the ACU poly/cotton blend requires a washer which I dont have access to.  Public mats dont have the settings and cost too damn much.   THe ACUs may fall victim to clothing paints, but see if the paint works on the material blends first.
Shirt and pants in the shades i want cheapest i have found.   
http://www.acu.com/style_F530238020/   http://www.acu.com/style_F520138020/
Im having to do this on a very limited income, so im using stuff i own for most of it.   (sad story time)  100% disabled vet, mostly internal damage and nerve damage to hands.  so i have to work with what i got.  and within my govt check limits.  Ive seen where a few other vets have been able to get thier kits made or started, and if they can, i can.   

I look forward to tips and pointers, and criticisms.  And please forgive typos, its the nerve damage in hands. 

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Macs custom Light Infantry Mandalorian
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2014, 08:16 PM »
Why Aye MacKay! Manu Forti kinsman.

Will need to see how the bleached / grey dyed ACU looks for changing it up / blasting out the camo pattern. Worst case you may have to go a bit darker to hit the "no real world camo" req. shouldn't be too tough.

Are you able to, or do you have access to somebody that can sew on a sewing machine or hand stitch? You can make some spats/foot & lower leg gaiters of scrap cloth. For light armor it should fit the look and cover the laces. Basically wrap your leg in saran wrap, duct tape over it, draw the pattern for the spats with a laundry marker, cut it off and use that for the pattern.

For the armor, how much / which parts are you building vs buying?

Edit: good thoughts on the weapon mods, apparently nothing says "star wars gun" like a backwards scope, heat sink looking thing, and some kind of funky barrel doohicky

« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2014, 08:20 PM by Kuu » Logged

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2014, 12:13 PM »
commenting to see how this goes, i also have some field acus that i could do a similar thing with if yours turn out well.

Sgtmac

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2014, 01:02 PM »
10 hours of sitting in one gallon bleach 3 gallon water.  the velcro, and the leg tie material is all that is noticibly bleached.  they turned tan.  so plan B is grey BDUs  but i really like the wear of the acu so not giving up on making it work,  thinking pure bleach....

Cyrus Ulto

• Kaden'runi
  • Awards 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Mobile Engineers Brigade Member Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2014, 02:19 PM »
Hmmmm...  there is always room for more

Kai Ree'tat

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2014, 10:28 PM »
I understand vod I'm a 100%er as well, watching to see how your kit comes along.

Sgtmac

« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2014, 10:22 AM »
after annoying the lovely boss lady becasue she helped me carry in a large quantity of bleach.( the craps gone up in price)  4 gallons straight bleach will work over the coloring on ACUs.  If you cut the bleach with water totally dilutes the effect.  So theres a risk factor here you are gonna have to play with.  Let the bleach eat up on the material, vs color shift sesired.  I just need enough to smudge the pattern when i dye the uniform grey.   second round of bleaching, 2 hours in straight bleach, then added water.  noticieable difference.  If you deployed and wore ACUs, then of how light they looked after the deployment vs when new.  and they are lighter then that.  for giggles a set of my woodlands from the 90s are swimming with them now.  I want to se how they come out.  if this total project works, this will save some of us, at least 60 bucks minus the bleach money vs buying new acu/bdu to use.  off to stir the tub some more.  agitating the work helps it seems. 

The blasters, im at a slight impasse here, may SW blasters are nice and smooth with little cosmetic flourish, and others are kitted all to hell and gone.  looing at my rifle, should i hit it with more work, or let it go till painting?  there orange side panels are fairly flush, on the toy they dont pop out as far as a true quad rail panel does.  so the blaser is a bit skinny.

Sgtmac

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2014, 02:06 PM »
Edited, so after the bleach failure, no more attempts.  Changed post to remove dead pic links. 

Sgtmac

« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2014, 04:32 PM »
I had my kids this weekend so no bleaching of the uniforms till monday night.  but heres the belt and pouches i plan to use.  It is a black nylon duty belt, and the pouches are 90s era US Military SAW M16 and M9/1911 ammo pouches.  The leg rig is a serpa interchangeable thigh that will have a kydex/plasticard/sintra or premade holster attached.  Im going to build and model this kit off what i wore in my service career.  I was a medic and learned the more crap you wear the harder to move.  So im going for minimal, yet functional.   im still working on a war blade idea.  when i deployed i had one tanto kbar on my medic bag, US Army kbar on my thigh and 2 crkt lock blades in each calf pocket.  im leaning towards blade in each gauntlet one to the non gun thigh, and calves.  this is all dependent on my finding toy blades i like or being able to make them.  with my work space making may be a stretch. 

if any approved or approving team member sees this, any ideas on the  lettering on the pouches? I think i can disguise them, but any vet or arms enthusiast will sstill recognize them for wha they are.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #9 on: Aug 31, 2014, 09:53 PM »
First, I'd see if you could dye them a different color - black or brown or, really, anything other than US army green.  Next I'd put plastic armor plating on the front panels, to cover up the logos and disguise the shapes a little.

I wonder if you could find a different sort of fastener for them, too - wouldn't even have to be functional, just as long as it changed up the look of them.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Aug 31, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Krylon makes sme paints for plastic, should stick to the Nylon fine. Just do thin layers and lots of them. Automotive interior fabric paint should help put paid to the camo pattern on the ACUs, again, thin layers. Just thinking out loud.

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2014, 11:30 PM »
Making knives is actually pretty easy. with a bit of Sintra, and exacto, and a dremmel.  I've made a few and I'm actually really happy with my Vibro blades (see Weapons WIP).  As well, if you head over to the supply depot, there are a few members who make very good looking bladed weaponry.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Sgtmac

« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2014, 12:34 AM »
the only other thing i have on hand i can use is velcro flap triple pocket mag holders from my competition shooting days.   And they are nicely worn down looking.  I like the armor plating idea.  No one near me sells sintra or plasticard so i bougt some of those plastic parking signs to use for weapon work, i can easily use it for this too.  the paints i a good idea also.   I saw some guys doing blasters, ill look harder for the blades.  I looked at yours they look good.  well built and functional. 

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2014, 08:26 AM »
A lot of people get Sintra at their local sign making place.  I'm sure there's a place in your town or near your town that makes banners and signs.  These places use Sintra for ridged signs and will sometimes sell you scrap or even full sheets.  Also, talk to your Clan, I'm sure someone has a source for Sintra.  Also, if there are a few newbies in your area working on their kits you guys might consider going in on a sheet or two together and buying online.  a 4'x8' sheet of Sintra is enough for two Medium sets of armor.  Another option would be a rubbermade plastic bin, or 3, they can be cut and re-formed with a heat gun, although you have to over bend it because it does un-form a little when it cools.  I'd suggest 3 MM (1/8") Sintra for any armor plating you're putting onto things, and 6MM (1/4") for knives.  I actually tried to make as much of my kit myself as I could.  The only things I bought were most of the armor (didn't feel confident with Sintra just yet) and my bucket (...I mean, there's no way I'm ever making a bucket that looks good enough).  Working with new materials, making things, discovering that your plans don't work, re-working them, and then making them right is half the fun of making your kit...at least for me.  I'd take a look at some knife WIPs on the forums and if you can find some Sintra take a stab at making your own.  Even if you don't use it for your kit it'll be a good way to learn how to work with Sintra

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Sgtmac

« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2014, 01:19 PM »
yah the making part is fun.  the local sign shop went under last year, but with this being a ollege town there may be ssomeone else.  i know lowes and 84 dont have anything.  i've built lorican plate armor before but we used 5 gallon buckets for all of it, if i was doing legacy armor this would be close to that.  ive orderd armor and a helmet.  all the rest im tryin to make out of stuff i allready own.  I didnt think to ask the local clan where to get sintra so thanks for that.  today im working on further bleaching out my old uniform so can start dying it tomorrow.  on my belt iea i may switch over nad just use a military pistol belt.  I have an old brand new one sitting here. 

Sgtmac

« Reply #15 on: Sep 02, 2014, 12:34 PM »
Well the bleach our of a uniform, and the color dye of of the other are failures.  the acu material disintegrated.  it was very thin and light and when i hung it to dry it just shredded.  the woodland bedus has no feel difference but only faded to browns and black.  The dyes are not reccomended for blended material or cold wassh material.  Sorry all.  so its time for plan B.  order a set of greys online.

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2014, 03:55 PM »
I bought sintra ("expanded closed-cell PVC) off of Amazon.  A local sign shop wanted something absurd like $40 for a single 2'x4' sheet.  I got 5 sheets off Amazon for $45 including shipping.

One 2'x4' sheet should be enough to make a basic set of light armor with a little scrap left over.

For my soft parts, I have a set of work coveralls I bought at a local industrial supply store to use when it's cold out, and a couple of pairs of scrubs for warm-weather troops.  They weren't terribly expensive, but I didn't have to worry about coloring out camo patterns.

« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2014, 03:59 PM by Vraeden » Logged
Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Than'del Coret

• Ner vode ja'hailir - My brother's keeper
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2014, 06:07 PM »
For my soft parts I used a black USAF flight suit. It's quite comfortable and I highly recommend a suit or a set of work coveralls. You can get them in all kinds of colors from automotivewear.com.

If you have your heart set on camouflag I suggest a muted grey, green or tan for your soft parts and painting your plates camo. As per CRL it can't be an earth style camo (digital, mossy oak, tiger stripe etc.) There are lots of examples of "swazy camo" on the boards if that's what you want.

No matter how great of a warrior you are, eventually, everyone needs saving.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Sgtmac

« Reply #18 on: Sep 10, 2014, 04:52 AM »
I was going for a solid light grey.  But I need a 2 piece due to my disability issues.  need to be able to get the top off by itself in an emergency.  But thinking about it, they did make 2 piece flight suits.  Saw Marine Aviators wearing them in the desert..  NAd checking that site, thank you. 

Than'del Coret

« Reply #19 on: Sep 10, 2014, 06:19 AM »
No problem! If it's a two piece you're looking for, medical scrubs work really well. I know several people who use them. Buy the shirt and two pairs of pants. You take the legs from one pair of pants and sew them inside the sleeves of the shirt. That will give you the double sleeve look that Boba has.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Am Vindam

• Cat # 0761
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #20 on: Sep 23, 2014, 11:42 PM »
No problem! If it's a two piece you're looking for, medical scrubs work really well. I know several people who use them. Buy the shirt and two pairs of pants. You take the legs from one pair of pants and sew them inside the sleeves of the shirt. That will give you the double sleeve look that Boba has.

That is EXACTLY what I did.

http://www.allheart.com/m/default.aspx has a ton of colors and they're super cheap!

Vagabond Nexu

Elegant Mando's Tea Society #055
B.E.A.R.D.S. #066
R.A.M. #010
Nerf-Herder #004

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #21 on: Oct 01, 2014, 05:17 AM »
Fellow vet here.

Keep in mind that you can also apply your own Swarsy camo with spray paint.

You could even try to get some cook whites from a surplus store and dye those up instead of trying to bleach down.

The other vode gave some great suggestions for finding sintra. Sometimes you can even get it free if you're not above doing a little dumpster diving outside of a sign shop. But the trash can armor option works great as well if you can't get your hands on sintra.

Good luck brother. We'll be here if you need any help

Sgtmac

« Reply #22 on: Oct 02, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Im tinkering with use foam board ot make a trial set, to practice putting armor together.  and when my stuff gets here, ill have a head start.  Im running into issues with the vest though.  Despite friendships to a large number of SCAdians wiht sewing machines, I cant get any help on the neck, they are all still repairing their stuff from pensic.  The straight lines i can use iron tape to seal the seams.  Its the curves im stuck on.  I ordered a set of light grey BUDs, as to dye the military issue stuff(its 50/50 ripstop, polyester), you need use of a washing machine and a lot of hot water.  Hotter then most of us can handle on our own.  the living situation is giving me fits in this area(cant do alot with 700 sq ft, and family of 4).  so im going for work arounds. 

Dunno if I mentioned the plan to my suit,
-solid light grey under(needs to be 2 piece for medical reasons)
-clamshell matching or close enough grey armor vest(as above reasons)think LEO body armor vs military ba
-kelly/40k dark angel green plates gaunts knees cod and helmet
-light grey white and black for any trim or highlight work
-boots are going to be black military or slightly shorter height motocross, or chelsea style so I dont have to tinker with armor panels
-belt belt pouches and gloves are black(decided to use my competition gear, I dont compete anymore)
-the helmet i want to have some fun with, I am working out an idea to put a fang face/sharks teeth set up either painted or molded to the cheeks and lower section.  I may go with painted as if I mess up its easier to fix. 

On the vet sdie of the house seeing others here lets me know i can do this, and makes me wonder if a brigade can be started thats based on real world military.  like making mil spec camos acceptable, but still the futureistic blasters and gear.  Like I was a medic in the cavalry, would need a mil cam, saber, spurs(since cant do stetson) and a standard type blaster rifle nad pistol. 

Than'del Coret

« Reply #23 on: Oct 02, 2014, 09:49 AM »
The plan sounds like it will work. What armor configuration are you looking to use? What I mean by that is light, medium, or heavy class. Light class would be your standard Boba Fett; chest, abs, collar, shoulders, back plate, and knees. Medium is your Jangos; all the armor of light but add thigh plates, shins, and boot armor. Finally the heavy class is the most protected with all the above plus neck, bicep, and butt/ kedny plate.

As far as "standard equipment" there really is none. As mercs, mandos tend to provide their own weapons from past encounters. The only thing truly "standard" is the torso armor. But if you are wanting to do a more standardized weapons set I would suggest  a DC 15A and DC 15 side arm used by the clones during the clone wars.

M.A.- #116
B.O.M.B.- #29

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #24 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:15 PM »
I don't see real world camo ever being approved. Although there are a few little known camo patterns that are real wold but not highly recognized so they're ok.

But there are examples of camo patterns in the Star Wars universe. And of course there's nothing wrong with designing your own pattern.

A Vet Brigade would be cool. We've got A LOT of vets and active duty members floating around the MMCC.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!