Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Trash Can Gauntlet WIP

• 21 Replies
Trash Can Gauntlet WIP
« on: Aug 28, 2014, 01:33 PM »
Started my gauntlets, same procedure as the rest of my armor. Started with a poster board mockup to get sizing correct.

Then cut patters out of trash can and heat formed them to the correct shape.

here are some updated pics of my right gauntlet so far.

I'm going to use a leather belt cut down to make straps to connect the bottom of the gauntlets.

Re: Trash Can Gauntlet WIP
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2014, 04:25 AM »
One piece design. That's an interesting method I've not encountered before....I'll be watching this closely.

Sl3nd3rMan99

• Im not judging you... Im just observing.
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2014, 07:28 AM »
Looks like something I would do... If i had the money anyways lol. Thats why my build are made of any cardboard I can find then whatever is willing by my parents... But seriously it looks good, I like it.

You will feel my wrath mandalorians, for i am Iota! the Mandalorian hunter!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 02, 2014, 03:13 PM »
So I have now primed and panted the first coat on the right gauntlet. I added some plastic strips to cover some of the wood. Will be applying the top coat later this evening.

« Reply #4 on: Sep 02, 2014, 03:14 PM »
so today I prepped my damage on my right gauntlet and applied to top coat of copper. It is now drying and will see the end result tonight or tomorrow after it dries.

after drying then I can attach the guns and strapping.

« Reply #5 on: Sep 02, 2014, 03:16 PM »
Well here it is after removing Vaseline and dulling down the copper paint. I stll have to do some washes to dirty up the barrels and the rest of the gaunt. Now to plan my attack for the left gaunt.

The gaunts are a one piece design and just slide on. This design seems to work good, after I put my glove on it cannot slip off my arm. I may have to put some Velcro underneath to keep them from rotating. What do you VOD's do to keep yours from slipping? Would some foam padding keep it from rotating around my arm?

Sl3nd3rMan99

• Im not judging you... Im just observing.
« Reply #6 on: Sep 02, 2014, 07:00 PM »
Well I am going to do the whole velcro to suit method also, so in my opinion stick with the velcro.

You will feel my wrath mandalorians, for i am Iota! the Mandalorian hunter!

Thoranios Xast'or

• You're fine
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 02, 2014, 10:25 PM »
I use 1'' foam padding on opposite sides of my gaunts to keep them from sliding around. It helps quite a bit. :D

CAT #0960
M5SP #9     |     B.E.A.R.D.S #73

Recon Wip
« Reply #8 on: Sep 07, 2014, 01:41 PM »
So I have been working on my left gauntlet on and off over the last couple of days, ,and here is my progress so far. I built the base up out of wood, again I am using materials that I already have to keep costs down. I used an old remote that I found for the keypad/buttons. The spike/dart weapons system is an old car stereo in-line fuse holder with a garden spike attached from the inside. I glued a piece from my blaster that I cut off onto the back of the fuse holder. I think it came out pretty good. Now I will paint the silver coat later today.

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2014, 03:31 PM »
Nice looking gaunts vod ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:27 PM »
So I was not happy with one of my gaunts so I did a little modifying to it. Used some keyboard keys off an old keyboard for buttons. Will put on a coat of blue when the darn wind stops blowing!! >:( here are some pics

Bluefalcon23

• I'm not quite dead yet
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2015, 07:41 PM »
Questions from a noob ;D,

I always have trouble with my trashcan armor reverting back to it's old curvature, do you think that means that I'm just not using enough heat?

Also, I just pulled a stupid and primed a piece before I shaped it :-[, any idea if the spray paint will explode/peel off/catch on fire or anything like that if I try to heat shape it now?

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it!
« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2015, 08:02 PM »
Hey there VOD
As far a the material holding its shape. The trashcans have already been molded to shape and changing their shape is difficult. You cannot heat them too much or they start to melt, but it takes a lot of heat for them to form. I tried to use the natural curves of the can, so I would not have to do that much heating and molding. And with the paint situation I am not sure what the paint will do. You can sand the paint off and then just prime the piece again. I sanded multiple layers of paint off of a few of my pieces as I was not happy with the weathering. I do know that the paint just does not stick worth a heck to the material. I think eventually I am going to redo my armor out of PVC pipe. You can just heat the pvc pipe and flatten it out, then cut out your armor and reheat to form.
Good Luck and I will help you out however I can. Just ask!! ;D

« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2015, 08:32 PM »
OK I got my coat of blue paint on earlier today and weathered. I like this look better than the old version.

just have to add some details on top of the buttons.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!