Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Korran Orainn, Mando Engineer - UPDATE 20/07 - SWCE Update!

• 142 Replies

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
You're doing great. Very impressive. :). I really can't wait to see more.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
Weathering looks top notch. Only thing I'd change to make it even better is match up some of the dings. Those diamond ones look like they should have corresponding scratches in the chest pieces.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Weathering looks top notch. Only thing I'd change to make it even better is match up some of the dings. Those diamond ones look like they should have corresponding scratches in the chest pieces.

Kris, you are amazing, I knew it was missing something to make it sit right!

My thanks to everyone who has commented, it drives me on to keep applying myself! Stay tuned for more x

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Great job so far man, loving the weathering and color scheme,

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

Mik'skaa Vok'chi

• Not compensating! just a bad shot!!!
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Looking great vod, cant wait to see how it all comes together  :D

Korran Orainn

More done tonight, Vode!

Collar:

Belleh:

Shoulders front:

Shoulders from the back:

Thanks to Kris' advice, I've matched the serious dents across several plates; which really helps tie it in:

Chest-Belly:

Chest-Diamond

and this is where we stand!

Gideon

Nice! I love the battle damage.
I'm about to start that step myself.
What was your technique?

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
The weathering looks great Vod, I don't know how I feel about the deep cuts in the armor, especially the cracks at the edge of the plates, but it's your armor so it doesn't matter how I feel about it

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Echo Darklighter

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
Looking good, vod!  Good and busted up! :D

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
Looks good. Although in a bit of hind sight, the weathering round the outside of the plates looks a bit odd, it's very uniform and makes the plates look more like they're bordered than damaged. Maybe try making it look more solid in some areas and less uniform in length of scratches. However this is just a wee nitpicky suggestion because I can't fault anything else. How do they look on you?

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Korran Orainn

Phwoar! Thank you all for your responses!

The weathering looks great Vod, I don't know how I feel about the deep cuts in the armor, especially the cracks at the edge of the plates, but it's your armor so it doesn't matter how I feel about it

Not at all Vod, your opinion is a valid one to me. As a Scavvy, I felt that having well-worn durasteel is more appropriate that Mandalorian Iron, and wanted alot of this to tell a story (see the Diamond scrapes as an example). Hopefully when I get some brown tones in, I can change your mind :D

Nice! I love the battle damage.
I'm about to start that step myself.
What was your technique?

Well Vod, the important thing to remember is that there is no right way to do it. It's quite popular to basecoat a metallic colour and using toothpaste/masking fluid in appropriate places. I feel this is not natural enough for me, so this is my whole painting process:

1) Prime (I used Grey)
2) Metallic coat
3) coat of cheap hairspray (acts as a pseudo-varnish)
4) top coat
5) Attack! Sand it, stab it, chip it, drop it, sand it again. This will literally chip your top coat off and create REAL damage
6) blackwash - I actually use miniatures paint and a kitchen sponge to apply mine. This fills in your sanding and creates depth
7) Drybrush a metallic paint. It is important that this is different colour to your metallic basecoat in step 2). Again, I used a miniatures paint as it dries and seals very well!
8) second blackwash

I am also due to do a ninth step soon, which is rust and muck!

Looks good. Although in a bit of hind sight, the weathering round the outside of the plates looks a bit odd, it's very uniform and makes the plates look more like they're bordered than damaged. Maybe try making it look more solid in some areas and less uniform in length of scratches. However this is just a wee nitpicky suggestion because I can't fault anything else. How do they look on you?

You're 100% right. On close inspection, there is a lot of variance, but from far away (where most pics will be taken!) it looks *too* uniform. I'll address this with extra drybrushing and washing. Hopefully my VERY selective rusting and mucking will help break up this 'border' feel. Thanks VERY much for this feedback Kit!

Looking good, vod!  Good and busted up! :D

Thank you Vod! This means very much to this Hopeful Mando! <3

Gideon

Well Vod, the important thing to remember is that there is no right way to do it. It's quite popular to basecoat a metallic colour and using toothpaste/masking fluid in appropriate places. I feel this is not natural enough for me, so this is my whole painting process:

1) Prime (I used Grey)
2) Metallic coat
3) coat of cheap hairspray (acts as a pseudo-varnish)
4) top coat
5) Attack! Sand it, stab it, chip it, drop it, sand it again. This will literally chip your top coat off and create REAL damage
6) blackwash - I actually use miniatures paint and a kitchen sponge to apply mine. This fills in your sanding and creates depth
7) Drybrush a metallic paint. It is important that this is different colour to your metallic basecoat in step 2). Again, I used a miniatures paint as it dries and seals very well!
8) second blackwash

I am also due to do a ninth step soon, which is rust and muck.

Ha! Basically my plan.
I hit mine with primer Greg.
The 3 coats of alternating "hammered metallic" gunmetal & copper each.
Then the topcoat.
Plus now I am laminating copper playing as a detail.
When all is pristene, I plan to kick the %+@#$ out of it with a Dremel & my driveway.
Then TouchUp paint & black/brown wash.

I am glad to see someone of a like mind here, looking to add some "real" damage to the armor.

Korran Orainn

Sorry for the lack of updates all, I've been working REALLY hard on this kit. I've got pictures for you, but I took them on my phone. been steaming along so hard I wasn't willing to sacrifice the time to get my SLR! lol

EDIT: forgot to point out that, whilst hinged, these are not finished. I still need to make a proper enclosure (likely velcro) to hold them together. So still WIP!!!

Here we are, left gaunt:

I will be making this into either a wristblaster or an Engineer multitool at a later date. For now, I just want a base gaunt before I head down that road! That said:

The Right gaunt. I made a top plate, and drilled through the whole thing to mount working keys and a display. When I get some time, I must do some little swarzy images for it!

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2014, 10:16 AM by Koran Orainn » Logged

Korran Orainn

Re: (WIP) Koran Orainn, Mando Scavenger/Engineer - Gaunts! (PH)
« Reply #38 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:07 AM »
Just sorted out the Gauntlet in lunch. I had to laugh at my desk!

Got 6 images on there at the moment, including one .GIF which is a 'motion tracker', here are some pics:

Will make some cool images for it at a later date :)

Marec Bloodfin

• Mandalore will survive. We always survive.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #39 on: Oct 31, 2014, 11:23 AM »
I love the hell out of  that gauntlet. Great work vod!

MMCC #1014
New Deathwatch Order #02
M.A.B.E.L #052
E.M.T.S. #121
B.E.A.R.D.S #083
M.A. #130
M.A.C.K. #06

MsKnuckles30

• Tesla Vox
« Reply #40 on: Oct 31, 2014, 04:35 PM »
Best. Gauntlets. Ever.

« Reply #41 on: Oct 31, 2014, 08:39 PM »
That's an awesome gauntlet, might I inquire what's the lcd photoframe/display you used?

CAT #1573

Sulkon88

• Mandalorian Bounty Hunter
« Reply #42 on: Oct 31, 2014, 10:47 PM »
I want that gauntlet. Is very nice...

"Blast them, beat them burn them I don't care. Just get them off my ship!" - Jorean Bosch

My Scratchbuild http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=75521.15

Vorpan Kyr'am

• Kann man so machen,dann isses halt Scheisse
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Skittles is the award for the most colourful picture of Mandos. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #43 on: Nov 01, 2014, 11:03 AM »
Awesome work! Much approve!!!

Spec Ops Sniper/Force Hunter
Invasions

NeX

• Merc# 1189 - M.V.S. #033
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #44 on: Nov 01, 2014, 05:22 PM »
A PHOTO FRAME LCD SCREEN!! BEST IDEA EVA!! STEALING!!! 8)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #45 on: Nov 02, 2014, 12:27 PM »
Nice stuff vod ;)

one thing  :rolleyes:

I see lots of weathering BUT im not seeing surface scratches  ???  Id recommend hitting the plates with Light passes of different grit sandpaper / wire wool, these scratches will make the weathering look a lot more Real. 

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi

Korran Orainn

« Reply #46 on: Nov 03, 2014, 04:42 AM »
Best. Gauntlets. Ever.
I love the hell out of  that gauntlet. Great work vod!
I want that gauntlet. Is very nice...

Thanks All! :D

Awesome work! Much approve!!!

Vorpan...this means so much to me. Thank you!

That's an awesome gauntlet, might I inquire what's the lcd photoframe/display you used?

Sure thing Vod; this is an Advent ADE-MDPF 1.5. It takes AAA batteries, and sticks out a fair amount so you'll need to hollow out a surface that you wish to mount it to. There may well be better options out there for a Gaunt screen, but this cost me a mere £3!

Nice stuff vod ;)

one thing  :rolleyes:

I see lots of weathering BUT im not seeing surface scratches  ???  Id recommend hitting the plates with Light passes of different grit sandpaper / wire wool, these scratches will make the weathering look a lot more Real. 

This may be the recent pictures with the phone camera, but like the plates I weather with two grades of sandpaper (I have no idea what ones, they were left over from doing the house!), wood files, and lots of mistakes with the dremel.

I think I'll do another blackwash to the plates as my metallic touch-ups are removing more of the visible gouges I have made. Thanks very much for the feedback dude! :D

Got a picture for you all here from a wee Halloween party we had on Saturday:

Got to try the whole kit on for the first time! Sadly don't have any more pictures (really sad. I love my shoulder cape, and you can't see it here :L). Found a few kinks that need working on, such as shortening the gauntlets (they limit my arm movement atm) and bringing the flightsuit in a tad :)

Cheers all!

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #47 on: Nov 03, 2014, 07:16 AM »
Just sorted out the Gauntlet in lunch. I had to laugh at my desk!

Got 6 images on there at the moment, including one .GIF which is a 'motion tracker', here are some pics:

Will make some cool images for it at a later date :)

Holy mother of.....!

WANT.

That is incredible work, vod. Very impressive!!!!!!!

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Korran Orainn

« Reply #48 on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:39 AM »
Holy mother of.....!

WANT.

That is incredible work, vod. Very impressive!!!!!!!

Thanks Vod! :D

'Tis not finished yet. Will be swapping out the lumps-of-plastic-that-look-like-buttons for proper flickswitches. Should be badshebs :3

Vassk

• I will make it legal
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: (WIP) Koran Orainn, Mando Scavenger/Engineer - Kit! (PH)
« Reply #49 on: Nov 05, 2014, 11:04 AM »
Great looking kit Vod and that blaster  8) love it  ;)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!