Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Maybe...just maybe...I've found the HUD solution (HMD)

• 118 Replies

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
Re: Maybe...just maybe...I've found the HUD solution (HMD)
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2014, 06:48 PM »
My only worry about Raspberry Pi (I have a model B already) is that there is no stable Android OS for it, and I would really like to have Android running the helmet show due to the ease of app creation and what's already available.  That's not a game breaker, but the Banana Pi seems to be a better option (both hardware and software) than the Raspberry Pi currently.

Fair :) I must confess I've not looked into Banana Pi that much, I shall use this as an excuse to pick one up I think!

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:03 PM »
A little explanation of the 'Pi' thin would probably help some of the... Less informed, add some opinions.
<-----This guy ;D

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member
« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Theyre basically just Arduinos.

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2014, 11:31 PM »
With the access and use of Google, I was able to research it, seems pretty cool.

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

gaataylir vorpan

• ori'buyce, kih'kovid
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:40 PM »
so i just came in to this now and was wondering what is the final word ive been trying to figure this out my self but most of my ideas end up in the min of $500.00 and i cant justify that. so long story short id love to set up a system like this

ori'buyce, kih'kovid

Sine Nomine

• Loves the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:41 PM »
so i just came in to this now and was wondering what is the final word ive been trying to figure this out my self but most of my ideas end up in the min of $500.00 and i cant justify that. so long story short id love to set up a system like this
The monies required would be better used on perfecting your kit. :laugh:

« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:37 PM »
First off, THIS THING SOUNDS AWESOME! Btw, where might I be able to lay my paws on one of these? 

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:27 AM »
First off, THIS THING SOUNDS AWESOME! Btw, where might I be able to lay my paws on one of these?

Pretty sure tom says where he found them in the first post. But I'd say focus on building your armour before you focus on things like an HUD. It's not that important the bigger picture.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:36 AM »
This is awesome to say the least.

If this thingy does the job, goes to my list for future upgrades. Very interesting indeed. Saved to bookmarks.

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:44 AM »
This is awesome to say the least.

If this thingy does the job, goes to my list for future upgrades. Very interesting indeed. Saved to bookmarks.

I wanna upgrade to something like this. but I don't have enough know how to make it work. and what would I even use it for?

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards 40% increase or more Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #25 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:46 AM »
I wanna upgrade to something like this. but I don't have enough know how to make it work. and what would I even use it for?
A fair question. I honestly have no idea yet, but its awesomeness is being too overwhelming at the moment. I might answer in a bit, when my head has cooled down :P

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

« Reply #26 on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:58 AM »
Pretty sure tom says where he found them in the first post. But I'd say focus on building your armour before you focus on things like an HUD. It's not that important the bigger picture.
Agreed! Thanks Vod!

« Reply #27 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:54 AM »

A HUD takes all kinds of sensor data and makes it available to you via an optical interface. In an airplane you'd have altitude, speed, attitude, distance from destination, compass information including heading, engine status like oil pressure, temp, exhaust temps and etc. If you actually had sensors to connect, it'd be cool, but having an app running on it would be, um a waste of cool effects as only you can see it and the information on the HUD would in no way correlate with what your MK 1 eyeball would be seeing anyway.  For me something like this would be very distracting. If I put anything inside the pot, I want it to be a good comms system.

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #28 on: Nov 04, 2014, 12:46 PM »
A HUD takes all kinds of sensor data and makes it available to you via an optical interface. In an airplane you'd have altitude, speed, attitude, distance from destination, compass information including heading, engine status like oil pressure, temp, exhaust temps and etc. If you actually had sensors to connect, it'd be cool, but having an app running on it would be, um a waste of cool effects as only you can see it and the information on the HUD would in no way correlate with what your MK 1 eyeball would be seeing anyway.  For me something like this would be very distracting. If I put anything inside the pot, I want it to be a good comms system.

Now walkie talkies would be great in a kit. I am forever loosing kai at events.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
Master Thread.

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #29 on: Nov 08, 2014, 08:29 AM »
I've only ever been to one big con (DragonCon 2014), but I'm pretty sure not only would you lose signal very quickly, but you would also pick up on everyone else that had the same idea, assuming you're using commercial grade "cheap" walkies. 

But as for uses of the HUD, the last latest and greatest thing I've seen when it comes to HUDs, are the Oakley Airwaves.  They are advertised to connect to your phone via bluetooth, and work with a downloadable app to send you placement, friend placement, direction, text message/notifications, and a couple of other things.  Might as well link it:

http://www.oakley.com/en/airwave/product/W0OO7049

There are others out there, mostly for sporty things like biking and such, (http://www.reconinstruments.com/), but for me, I think I would use it to bring the fandom out even more.  Also, I'm a huge proponent of technological advances, and I see this a huge one, or in the words of another man, one giant leap for mankind.  Honestly, if a group of nerds like us built a working, customizable HUD and shared it with everyone, it might cease being a nerdy thing, and see widespread use.  Bring on the future!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!