Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Maybe...just maybe...I've found the HUD solution (HMD)

• 118 Replies

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
So after listening to NPR this morning, I decided to check Alibaba.com for low-cost electronics that may be useful for kits.  The cool thing about Alibaba is that it connects you directly to manufacturers in China/Asia, no middle men.

While browsing this morning, I just had the itch to see if they had anything in the HUD realm that could be useful...since this has been the singular most requested piece of helmet electronics since the beginning of MMCC.  After some careful searching, I found this little beauty right here:

This looks to be a true HMD optical engine module produced by a Chinese company.  It will work with smart devices, but I don't know how much this device will cost.  I've contacted the company to see how much 1 device would cost for prototyping purposes, but if the price is affordable ($200 or less) then we may have a very viable solution for the in-helmet HUD.

;)

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Jerek Darr

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions. Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Maybe...just maybe...I've found the HUD solution (HMD)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:00 AM »
Focal length has always been the bane of the practical HUD. Where this appears to use a prismatic focal screen, we may see this hurdle surmounted.

M.A.B.E.L #007
M.A. #10
EMTS#072

Carid Vhett

• M.A.#048. YNWA
  • Awards Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:03 AM »
How would that fit in the helmet, looks kinda chunky, and most helmets do not have that much room.

I understand, no prisoners, only trophies
Death is always smiling at you, it is only polite to smile back.
Mhi kisol, mhi briikase kisol, mhi tsad be vode.
Keep Moving Forwards - Monty Oum

Oryon

• Ωryon: Honourable Duelist and Deathwatch Hunter
« Reply #3 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:25 AM »
That's definitely cool, but it seems like the only way it'll fit is as the top of a rangefinder, which could be dangerous to it's health...

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Dresdon Acacin

• Do it right the first time or don't do it at all.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:29 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm.....very  interesting....Ive  heard of flexible wafer thin LCD screens but how to  focus on that..

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #5 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:38 AM »
You could also mount it to the exterior of the helmet, on one side of the T-visor, like the IHADSS on the Apache pilot helmet.  That would look a little funny and bulky, but it could work.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #6 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:43 AM »
This is a very small unit, about 1.5 inch long by .5 inch wide.  It could easily be statically mounted inside the helmet to slide over your dominant eye when you put the helmet on.

Think Google Glass, but in your helmet. 

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #7 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:47 AM »
Hmmmmmmmmm.....very  interesting....Ive  heard of flexible wafer thin LCD screens but how to  focus on that..

As Jerek stated above, this uses prismatic focus...basically a tiny RBG LED is projecting the image into the prism which sits in front of your eye.  I really hope this company gets back to me, and I hope the price is do-able.  If this unit will work with a Raspberry Pi, then the prospects of what could be done are just about endless.

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 04, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Looks like these are going to be $120 - $150 depending on the size.  That's actually a LOT cheaper than I thought, but the company also sent me a data sheet with full specs and pin-out.  I'll dive into that when I have some free time tomorrow and see if this is something that can be adapted to work with existing low-cost tech. 

Very promising.  :)

Dresdon Acacin

• Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #9 on: Sep 04, 2014, 10:22 PM »
Hell if you can get a schematic and the optical components you could  build your own prototype!

Work while they sleep   Learn while they party   Save while they spend   Live like they dream

Ahn'vil Burk'yc

• | House Burk'yc |
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Award for 25 official invasions. EnviroOps Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #10 on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:29 AM »
following with great interest :)

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #11 on: Sep 05, 2014, 10:57 AM »
Hell if you can get a schematic and the optical components you could  build your own prototype!

You would have to get the driver board professionally made, as the components are just too small for hand soldering.  Not to mention getting the prism cube made, which also wouldn't be cheap.

$120 is actually a VERY good price for these.  The hurdle currently is how to drive the unit without adding a bunch of bulky circuits.  I've found a DIS-HDMI display shield build over on Hackaday that *may* work for running the HMD off a Raspberry or Banana Pi using the HDMI plug. 

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2014, 11:42 AM »
An incredible find, Mand'alor!

Given the tech, $120 is a really good price.

The hurdle currently is how to drive the unit without adding a bunch of bulky circuits.  I've found a DIS-HDMI display shield build over on Hackaday that *may* work for running the HMD off a Raspberry or Banana Pi using the HDMI plug. 

Raspberry Pi should do the trick!
Koran

Oryon

« Reply #13 on: Sep 05, 2014, 11:51 AM »
I wonder if you could hook two up.... Maybe one for targeting an the other for all the other HUD systems, then you could close one eye and focus on your target tracker.

M.A.D. #031    M.A. #087    24er    M.A.B.E.L. #020    M.L.C.S. #19    WIP    Helmet

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
« Reply #14 on: Sep 05, 2014, 03:30 PM »
Raspberry Pi should do the trick!

My only worry about Raspberry Pi (I have a model B already) is that there is no stable Android OS for it, and I would really like to have Android running the helmet show due to the ease of app creation and what's already available.  That's not a game breaker, but the Banana Pi seems to be a better option (both hardware and software) than the Raspberry Pi currently.

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #15 on: Sep 05, 2014, 06:48 PM »
My only worry about Raspberry Pi (I have a model B already) is that there is no stable Android OS for it, and I would really like to have Android running the helmet show due to the ease of app creation and what's already available.  That's not a game breaker, but the Banana Pi seems to be a better option (both hardware and software) than the Raspberry Pi currently.

Fair :) I must confess I've not looked into Banana Pi that much, I shall use this as an excuse to pick one up I think!

Oryon

« Reply #16 on: Sep 05, 2014, 08:03 PM »
A little explanation of the 'Pi' thin would probably help some of the... Less informed, add some opinions.
<-----This guy ;D

Dresdon Acacin

« Reply #17 on: Sep 05, 2014, 10:26 PM »
Theyre basically just Arduinos.

Oryon

« Reply #18 on: Sep 05, 2014, 11:31 PM »
With the access and use of Google, I was able to research it, seems pretty cool.

gaataylir vorpan

• ori'buyce, kih'kovid
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2014, 03:40 PM »
so i just came in to this now and was wondering what is the final word ive been trying to figure this out my self but most of my ideas end up in the min of $500.00 and i cant justify that. so long story short id love to set up a system like this

ori'buyce, kih'kovid

Sine Nomine

• Loves the smell of napalm in the morning
« Reply #20 on: Sep 28, 2014, 10:41 PM »
so i just came in to this now and was wondering what is the final word ive been trying to figure this out my self but most of my ideas end up in the min of $500.00 and i cant justify that. so long story short id love to set up a system like this
The monies required would be better used on perfecting your kit. :laugh:

« Reply #21 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:37 PM »
First off, THIS THING SOUNDS AWESOME! Btw, where might I be able to lay my paws on one of these? 

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #22 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:27 AM »
First off, THIS THING SOUNDS AWESOME! Btw, where might I be able to lay my paws on one of these?

Pretty sure tom says where he found them in the first post. But I'd say focus on building your armour before you focus on things like an HUD. It's not that important the bigger picture.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Ty'renn Argos

• "I'd sell my mother to the Jawas for a good hunt."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40% increase or more Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #23 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:36 AM »
This is awesome to say the least.

If this thingy does the job, goes to my list for future upgrades. Very interesting indeed. Saved to bookmarks.

Ni cuy' gar vod jii.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #24 on: Nov 04, 2014, 06:44 AM »
This is awesome to say the least.

If this thingy does the job, goes to my list for future upgrades. Very interesting indeed. Saved to bookmarks.

I wanna upgrade to something like this. but I don't have enough know how to make it work. and what would I even use it for?

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!