Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Gotta crawl before you run: Soft parts (pic heavy)

• 20 Replies
Gotta crawl before you run: Soft parts (pic heavy)
« on: Sep 08, 2014, 11:18 PM »
Decided to go with scrubs instead of a flight suit or coveralls, thought they may be a bit cooler... and may make toilet runs a little simpler.

Picked up a Boba style vest from TK409.com. I soaked it in various colors of watered down acylic paint, then dyed it in a diluted bath of black Rit dye.

Mauser pouches from MisterFubar.

And having served my time in the Army in the belly of an M1A1, had to go with my Corcoran Tanker Boots and a set of good old Nomex gloves.

I have plans to add a kama and hashing out ideas for belts and  holsters.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 09:35 PM by Yevrah Null » Logged

Mavik

• Awards Award for 100 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Gotta crawl before you run: Soft parts (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 08, 2014, 11:32 PM »
You're at a good starting point

Korran Orainn

• "Ke'nari buy'cese bat! Oya, vode!"
« Reply #2 on: Sep 09, 2014, 06:37 AM »
Boots are gorgeous! Looking forward to seeing this one develop :)

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016 Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2014, 10:22 AM »
I also wear scrubs as my flightsuit for summer/warm weather troops and I can't say enough good things about them.

I typically do not wear the short sleeve scrubs under my jacket since no one will ever see them, but I'm thinking of going to a short sleeve scrub top with a long sleeve compression shirt to get some better cooling.

Those boots rock!

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2015, 12:52 AM »
Resurrected for the new year.

Leg wraps made from cheese cloth. Dyed in various acrylic paints.

Ammo/utility belt, picked up at a thrift store for few wupiupi. Nice bit of wear but still sturdy and the metal grommets give it a nice industrial look.

The buckle on the belt was ok but I had planned to replace it anyway, with this AustriAlpin COBRA buckle.

As kick shebs as that buckle is, I didn't want to shell out the credits for it. The cheapest I found it at the time, was on Mil Spec Monkey for about $35. Fortunately, the Monkey had a great alternative:

The ITW GT Cobra buckle. ITW Nexus North America "partnered with" (licensed by) AustriAlpin to make a polymer (cheap) buckle based off of the Cobra. For under $10. So I got it, threw on silver Rub & Buff and slapped the belt together.

The ITW buckle comes in two colors - Coyote and Black, and three sizes - 1.5", 1.75" and 2". You can also choose between fixed and adjustable. Check out the Monkey if you're interested in it or any type of adaptable hardware they have.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 09:42 PM by Yevrah Null » Logged
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:46 AM »
really nice belt conversion.....what are you using for weapons?

Scruffy Nerff Herder !!!

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2015, 01:17 PM »
Nice soft parts.  I like that buckle.

The black belt with brown patches is a "off" in my opinion. All your other soft parts are shades of brown. Have you considering finding a brown belt I think it will keep with the color consistency and look better. Again just my opinion. Otherwise looking great. Digging your guants and armor WiP as well.

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2015, 02:07 AM »
really nice belt conversion.....what are you using for weapons?

Working on some some ideas for weapons. Want to get the bulk of the armor done first before I get heavy into weapons systems.

Nice soft parts.  I like that buckle.

The black belt with brown patches is a "off" in my opinion. All your other soft parts are shades of brown. Have you considering finding a brown belt I think it will keep with the color consistency and look better. Again just my opinion. Otherwise looking great. Digging your guants and armor WiP as well.

Yeah, the buckle kicks shebs. I actually don't mind it so much but I see what you mean. The belt is actually a really dark brown but it does look black. I also think the buckle doesn't help as it's so much lighter than the belt. I'm thinking of going back over it with a darker brass or copper Rub & Buff and sand down the paint of the metal parts on the belt to expose the brass. That might help tie it together with the brown pouches a little better... like a rug in a room. Thanks for the input Vod, can be good to hear what other eyes see.

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2015, 02:13 AM by Yevrah Null » Logged

Dynas

• "You can run,but you'll only die tired." Boba Fett
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:22 AM »
Fantastic idea, brass rub n buff buckle and exposing the brass on the belt i think would look very awesome.

Mark II
Upgrades: Jetpack: 100%  Blaster Rifle: 25%  Chest Lights: 75%  Knife: 100% Spats: 100% Double Sleeves: 100% Flamer Hose 100% Jetpack Harness Upgrade: 100% Dull coat Yellow Paint 100% Helmet Fans: 100%

Career Invasions: 13

OM #874     M.A.N.T.A.     M.A.B.E.L #44
« Reply #9 on: Jun 29, 2015, 04:36 PM »
It has been a while, was sidetracked by other parts of LIFE but I'm getting back to my beskar' gam. Just little steps so far but steps none-the-less. Made some headway on my girth belt:

A basic basket weave using 550 cord. Hope to get it done by the week end.

« Last Edit: Oct 13, 2015, 09:43 PM by Yevrah Null » Logged

Welkin

• This is the way... TO RAQ!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #10 on: Jun 29, 2015, 05:03 PM »
I've had tons of periods where nothing got down, it happens to a lot of us all that matters is that you come back. That girth belt looks like a ton of work, but well worth it. Digging all the stuff you've got going on so far.

Formerly known as "The Mandler"
Character: Tra Senaar
MVS #20 | B.E.A.R.D.S #102 | IT-Mando # 18 | CSCMS #8 | Kilted Mando #25 | MARS #35 | VOTS #51

Gnar-Gnar

• Awards 40% increase or more
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2015, 11:17 PM »
everything looks great so far vod!

That girth belt! :o I don't think I'd have the  patience for that!

« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2015, 04:49 PM »
The fight drags on, gonna get this done. Added some little details to the ammo belt.

A mount for the back up fuel tank to my flame thrower and two mini-concussion grenades.

The controls for my anti-gravity unit that is used in conjunction with my jump pack.

The anti-gravity unit itself.

Getting it done, one step at a time.

« Last Edit: Dec 02, 2015, 01:45 PM by Yevrah Null » Logged

Kebii'laar

• Aliit o'r nare, ne tal'din.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2015, 10:55 PM »
I absolutely love that basket weave.  My girth belt is the one thing that I haven't even really started yet, so if my current plan doesn't pan out I might go for that.

Or I might get some cord and start a basket weave during downtime at work. 

B.E.A.R.D.S. #103, QMU #026

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Gar'gai ven'cuyi o'r ner'nare, draar digur'la.  Ni ven'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.
« Reply #14 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:51 PM »
I absolutely love that basket weave.  My girth belt is the one thing that I haven't even really started yet, so if my current plan doesn't pan out I might go for that.

Or I might get some cord and start a basket weave during downtime at work.

Kebii'laar, I say go for it Vod. It seems daunting at first but once you get started it happens without really thinking about it. I'd suggest that once you get your measurement around where you want it to sit, add an inch or two just to compensate for the shortening of length due to weaving. You can always shorten it later if it's too long but it would be much harder to lengthen it if it's too short.

Reginmund

• Gar taldin ni jaonyc; gar sa buir, ori'wadaas'la
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2015, 02:50 PM »
Question about the girth belt. Did you gut the cord or preshrink it at all? I know from back in my Army days we typically gutted the cord if we needed it tied off, and from making a few small 550 projects preshrinking the cord helped incase the completed item ever got wet and not stretched back out.

Overall it is looking amazing and I am definitely am adding this to my growing list of things to steal borrow from others.  :)

C.A. #67 | M.A. #160 | M.A.D. #69 | M.A.R.S. #64 |M.L.C.S. #32 | VABS

Kebii'laar

« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2015, 01:57 PM »
Kebii'laar, I say go for it Vod. It seems daunting at first but once you get started it happens without really thinking about it. I'd suggest that once you get your measurement around where you want it to sit, add an inch or two just to compensate for the shortening of length due to weaving. You can always shorten it later if it's too long but it would be much harder to lengthen it if it's too short.

I know this is your thread and all, but I figured I'd throw it up here since you inspired me.  Here's a closeup of mine:

It's now long enough to wrap around my waist with 6 extra inches because I (intentionally) wildly overestimated the length of cord needed, knowing that I'd cut off the extra length.  I'm using cotton clothesline for mine, 3/16 diameter.  It's my first time trying this kind of weave, so it's not perfect, but I plan on making another before it's all said and done, then cutting the ends off and closing them with either duck cloth or leather.  Fastening method is likely going to be either D-rings and straps or overlapping ends and velcro.

If you don't already have a plan for the ends, feel free to take those ideas, and if you do, then I can't wait to see it!

Gar taab besuum, ni ven'ijaati gar'gai o'r an ner'nare.  Gar ru'ba'juri gar'ade jate.
Ni taab besuum, gar ven'ijaati ni'gai o'r an gar'nare.  Ni ru'ba'juri ner'ade jate.

ConDar Ward

• Al'jurir be Ori'ramikad
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2015, 02:28 PM »
There is So many Awesome things Going on Here I don't know Where to Start ...  ???

I will be Watching With Great interest and looking forward to Seeing where your Creativity Takes you
with this soon to be Terrific kit ...  ;)

MMCC-#0059 /M.A.- 001 /M.A.D.- 067 /ALUMINATI -013
 Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum - Remo Jadd - 0267
« Reply #18 on: Oct 25, 2015, 06:35 PM »
Question about the girth belt. Did you gut the cord or preshrink it at all? I know from back in my Army days we typically gutted the cord if we needed it tied off, and from making a few small 550 projects preshrinking the cord helped incase the completed item ever got wet and not stretched back out.

Overall it is looking amazing and I am definitely am adding this to my growing list of things to steal borrow from others.  :)

Reginmund -  Yeah, long long ago on maneuvers far far away, we would do that too for tying things off in tight corners inside the tank... but no, I didn't gut it. I felt that if I had, the belt would look too flat... and in case I needed to suspend something from it in the future, the full cord would be needed for support.

I know this is your thread and all, but I figured I'd throw it up here since you inspired me.  Here's a closeup of mine:

It's now long enough to wrap around my waist with 6 extra inches because I (intentionally) wildly overestimated the length of cord needed, knowing that I'd cut off the extra length.  I'm using cotton clothesline for mine, 3/16 diameter.  It's my first time trying this kind of weave, so it's not perfect, but I plan on making another before it's all said and done, then cutting the ends off and closing them with either duck cloth or leather.  Fastening method is likely going to be either D-rings and straps or overlapping ends and velcro.

If you don't already have a plan for the ends, feel free to take those ideas, and if you do, then I can't wait to see it!

Kebii'laar - Nice work, Vod. I know clothesline is thicker than 550, how wide is it? That pattern tettar shebs! And I bet it didn't take long, once you got started  ;). I have a metal clip hook and ring as my connectors. I'm pleased with how the hook is attached, pretty much like your metal ring in the picture... not so happy with my ring, I will have to adjust that.

There is So many Awesome things Going on Here I don't know Where to Start ...  ???

I will be Watching With Great interest and looking forward to Seeing where your Creativity Takes you
with this soon to be Terrific kit ...  ;)

ConDar Ward - Vor entye, Vod. :D It's been slow running but I can see the finish line coming up on the horizon.

Niyic

• Vode An
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions Award for 25 official invasions. 15+ clan level invasions 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2015, 07:21 PM »
I like your use of the ITW Cobra buckle, and the weathering on it looks great!

I've been planning on using one for my own kit, so I'm glad to see it's acceptable. I'm guessing if the actual Austrialpin one was used all the writing would need to be filled in. In the end, the polymer one is not only a cheaper option, but an easier and better looking one as well!  ;)

Kebii'laar

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27, 2015, 03:59 PM »
Kebii'laar - Nice work, Vod. I know clothesline is thicker than 550, how wide is it? That pattern tettar shebs! And I bet it didn't take long, once you got started  ;). I have a metal clip hook and ring as my connectors. I'm pleased with how the hook is attached, pretty much like your metal ring in the picture... not so happy with my ring, I will have to adjust that.
The belt isn't exactly as wide as I expected it to be, about an inch and a half to two inches.  I can measure it when I get home (here's to hoping I'll remember to do so!).  And it ended up taking about... four hours total, but a fair amount of that was also unravelling and starting over multiple times.  First attempt for the win!

I couldn't find any substantial D-rings at the local Joann Fabric, so that buckle was simply the only option that was both wide and strong enough to stand up to the stress I was going to put it through, and could actually accomodate the thickness of the cord.

EDIT: Measured the width, and it's almost exactly two inches.

« Last Edit: Oct 28, 2015, 08:55 AM by Kebii'laar » Logged

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!