Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Helmet Hud possible ?!?

• 9 Replies

twistedxknights

• A.K.A. Thomar Ca Verd
Helmet Hud possible ?!?
« on: Jul 24, 2014, 10:56 AM »
Recently I have been thinking if it would be possible to make a helmet that had a H.U.D that the wearer could opertate hands free using their eyes and voice.  I have come to realize that it is entirely possible.  Please bear with me as I try to explain.

In 2012 a team of Canadian students invented the eyeselect glasses.  These glasses track the movement of the eye from a relatively close distance and cost  $110 to make.
 http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/251178/bcit-students-eyeselect-glasses-give-hope-to-als-patients/

The second piece of the puzzle is a mini computer like the Mk802 android mini pc.  Which is a little larger than the size of a usb thumb drive. While it doesn't have a internal battery  one could be made and power supplied  through the 5v plug in. It has a usb port so you can add a hub and a few other peripherals.
https://www.miniand.com/products/MK802%20Android%20Mini%20PC#buy

The third piece of the puzzle is the display which had to be compact enough to fit inside the helmet. the lumus dk32 and dk40 appear to fit the bill. In fact if the dk40 was used one could possibly add a few more features from using the 5mm camera.
http://www.lumus-optical.com/index.php?Itemid=15&id=9&option=com_content&task=view

While all these work individually it may take some engineering to get them to work together.

Zohar Nef

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Helmet Hud possible ?!?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 24, 2014, 01:25 PM »
And the only person who would see it would be your self.  Which is the down side to such a thing showing it off would be nearly impossible at a convention unless you were to take you helmet off for every person interested to put their head in.  Not to say it isn't a cool idea, as it would allow you to see info about the con and even check your email while in kit. 

There is no problem in life that can not be solved through the proper aplication of high explosives.

twistedxknights

• A.K.A. Thomar Ca Verd
« Reply #2 on: Jul 24, 2014, 01:44 PM »
I'd find a way to rig up a demo piece for people to try.

rafamacamp

• (Talyc Besbe'trayce)
« Reply #3 on: Jul 24, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Well, my HUD is a clock  ;D

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #4 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:15 PM »
You can probably erase everything on this list outside the Lumus.  Just add a bluetooth touchscreen adapter (you can get them from Adafruit) and find a 2 inch 4-wire touch screen (it's basically the film that overlays an LCD screen, similar to what they use on point of sale touchscreen terminals) you can adapt into your gauntlet. 

The Lumus has an onboard Android computer, so there's no need to have 2.  I'm willing to bet these glasses are gonna be extremely expensive though.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

twistedxknights

• A.K.A. Thomar Ca Verd
« Reply #5 on: Jul 24, 2014, 04:43 PM »
On board computer?  There goes the mk802.. id still use the eyeselect as a mouse  tied in to the lumus.

Kuu

• As Haran Mhi Nu'Lise' - Ja'haili' Ni
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions Order of the Ori'Ramikad Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions

| aka "Matt R." | Helpful Stuff |Facebook | VRCA #053 | M.V.S. #10 | B.E.A.R.D.S. #77 | S.P.A.R.C.K. #2 | OM: Sept. 20, 2014

Mandalore the Uniter

• Herder of Cats
  • Uniting the Faithful.
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2023. Celebration Chicago Celebration Orlando 2017 Shock Infantry Brigade Member Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2014, 09:31 AM »
That's not really a HUD, it's a monitor in front of your eyeball.

HUD's require projection, which is why they work so well.  Similar to Google Glass, you need to be able to project an image in proper resolution onto the inside of the T-visor, so you can both see the image and see through it (not visually obscuring).  Finding affordable technology to do that is what is really difficult.

I had an awesome sig once, till Photobucket killed it. *frownyface*

Reneth Justalari

• Kaysh guur' skraan - "He loves his food."
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2014, 06:50 PM »
The most well, closest thing that seems feasible (without selling a firstborn) project that's still in it's development phase is the NUVIZ Helmet HUD. I'm not sure how easy it would be to modify the device to provide simple functions like project bounty board listings and other simple stuff like. Wearable tech is unfortunately still in such an infantile stage and with not many options available to home builders and tinkerers yet since everyone and their nexu want to keep either their methods hush-hush or behind a wall of patents.  As Mandalore stated, something that's not just limited to your field of view that you can show off would be an interactive and fully functional Gauntlet.

This of course is just my two cents. I'd love to help out in any way possible if you all want to make this a reality.

"No, no, no! This one goes there, that one goes there... Got it?"

MMCC #992 - Firestorm Clan
OM Troops #28

- Elegant Mandos Tea Society - #098
- B.E.A.R.D.S - #71
- IT-Mando Society #9
- QMU Supporter #20
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2014, 12:58 AM »
don't know if you've seen this thread, but theres definitely tech out there… depending on the size, it may be able to install as a range finder which would be absolutely awesome to be able to lower your RF and have all info right there… i plan on bluetooth to my phone to get music, phone calls, texts, and con info… a tall order but cool none the less.
http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=81450.0

"If I knew what I was doing we wouldn't BE in this mess now would we?"

Armor plan : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=85077
Bucket build : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=84967
Blaster build : http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=80724

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!