Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Jakar Jasra WIP

• 98 Replies

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
Re: Jakar Jasra WIP
« Reply #50 on: Jul 10, 2015, 01:58 PM »
that is looking great ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #51 on: Jul 10, 2015, 02:05 PM »
Getting some update pics very shortly of the blaster ;)

Havelock

• I probably have a link for that.
  • Awards Celebration Anaheim 2022 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #52 on: Jul 10, 2015, 03:00 PM »
Great work, vod.  I wish my parents had been more supportive of my Star Wars love when I was younger.  They thought it was stupid.  Now that I'm 41, they think it's even stupider.  But hey, my Dad loves golf, and I don't get the appeal of that.   :laugh:

I really enjoying watching your kit come together, vod.  And definitely taking notes.

"Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."  - Terry Pratchett
Have you explored all that the Royal War College of Mandalore has to offer?
« Reply #53 on: Jul 10, 2015, 03:47 PM »
Great work, vod.  I wish my parents had been more supportive of my Star Wars love when I was younger.  They thought it was stupid.  Now that I'm 41, they think it's even stupider.  But hey, my Dad loves golf, and I don't get the appeal of that.   :laugh:

I really enjoying watching your kit come together, vod.  And definitely taking notes.

Aww thank you vod I really appreciate that :D

« Reply #55 on: Jul 11, 2015, 08:24 AM »
Sling attachment ;)

Niabi

• Mouse'alor
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Award for 25 official invasions. Special Operations Brigade Member
« Reply #56 on: Jul 23, 2015, 03:32 PM »
ooo i like how that is looking bud ;)

VABS : M.A. #006  24er :  Beskar'gam

Remo Jadd - Nu kyr'adyc, shi taab'echaaj'la
Quote from: Ruusaan Ordo
I felt a great disturbance in the Force... As if millions of voices cried out and they were all Niabi
« Reply #57 on: Aug 30, 2015, 06:23 PM »
Back again vode !! :D Had a bit of a brainstorm at one point so I put some ideas to paper. (Had a look at a vod's suit of armour for inspiration ;) ) and created a few future designs that I will attempt to make after I have handled a personal non-Star Wars related prop :D

« Reply #58 on: Oct 27, 2015, 06:58 PM »
Hey again vode I have got a massive update on my kit, a lot of work has been put into the kit with repairing and creating new parts :D

One of the biggest changes to my kit was the inclusion of an Aker voice amp so that people could hear me properly under my bucket and to just have it sounding really awesome :D (Had too much fun with it messing about with my family). To have the amp blend with my kit I first bought an old white Russian grenade pouch.

Then once I had made sure the amp could fit inside the pouch I cut a hole right where the headset would connect to the amp so that I could snake the wire through the flap.

After I had cut the hole out I then proceeded to weather the pouch up washing it thickly in coffee with brown and black inks giving a very dirty look which of course I wanted :D

One of the biggest problems I had with my kit was the lack of a balaclava. At cons and events fellow vode and friends would point out that if they stood below me (Not my fault that I tower over most people ....) they could see my face when I was wearing my helmet. To fix this thanks to my mother she made me a balaclava which reaches only up to my nose and just over my ears at the back.

(Mucking about with the visor out :P )

Side shot of the balaclava.

Padding has also been added to the bucket to make it much more comfortable to wear.

Of course how could I leave out my blaster thanks to my mother's partner who helped me to create my kit so happy about it :D

Now then these are pics of what status my kit is currently in. The shoulder bell plates now have red chevrons to match the rest of the kit, shin guards and plain temporary gauntlets are not part of it until I make or buy a proper pair of gauntlets.

Close up of upper torso.

Me with my blaster rifle.

"Dead or alive you're coming with me."

Good news as well is that in a couple of months I will soon be eighteen so hopefully I can hand in an application for official membership :D

« Reply #59 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:16 PM »
Got a lot planned for my kit after having a very interesting present for christmas :) A full toy plastic minigun, to say the least I was shaking in excitement at the blaster possibilities :)

Full body

(Tribble not included)

Front barrels

Back part

I think my Jasra senses are coming along ^,^

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #60 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:25 PM »
Your Jasraness and love for destruction is definitely improving :P
Hmmmm, apart from the obvious screw holes to fill, that looks like a pretty solid base that won't need too much modding. Got a few protrusions that I'd cut off and sand down, but I can't see much else I'd do beyond giving it character. That cannon will need character - like the Halo flamethrower that has a shark painted on - something like that, a cool paint job and/or some trophies tied to it.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #61 on: Jan 04, 2016, 05:30 PM »
Your Jasraness and love for destruction is definitely improving :P
Hmmmm, apart from the obvious screw holes to fill, that looks like a pretty solid base that won't need too much modding. Got a few protrusions that I'd cut off and sand down, but I can't see much else I'd do beyond giving it character. That cannon will need character - like the Halo flamethrower that has a shark painted on - something like that, a cool paint job and/or some trophies tied to it.

I have quite a few ideas, will do some sketching in my free time at school.

« Reply #63 on: Jul 18, 2016, 04:39 PM »
It's been a while since I did this :)

After finishing my exams and with LFCC coming up (Wish I could've gone to Celebration :l ) I thought I would get back to working on my kit, specifically with my gauntlets. With a lot of help from my parents I am now starting on a fresh pair of gauntlets, one with mini armour piercing rockets and the other a single barreled repeating blaster (which will turn into two barrels eventually)

Here is the base of the first one made completely out of 5mm Sintra.

(Side)

(Top)

(Bottom)

The gaunts will be hinged using piano hinges to give a secure fit, velcro and padding will be added eventually.

Gauntlet test fitting (Insert Mando pose)

The armour piercing round gauntlet is being worked on by Steven, the one who has helped me from the start of my kit so that I may work on the other gaunt for practice and time.

These are the armour piercing rounds he has made from blunted darts and wide felt tip pens which will be detailed with plastic finds at the tips.

These will be covered and secured in place underneath this metal plate from an old computer and built up on with other pieces once the basics have been secured.

« Reply #64 on: Jul 25, 2016, 01:58 PM »
Done some more progress on my gauntlets.
Created the platform for the gauntlet along with a repeating blaster made from a pressure hose, copper nozzle, aluminium connector, a scrap piece of metal and two printing  cartridges, really happy with how it came out :D

Gauntlet without weapon

Gauntlet with weapon

Scale shot to me :) Currently it weighs almost 1 kilogram :)

Tomorrow going to sand it all down, glue the weapon on and start basecoating hopefully before LFCC.

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #65 on: Jul 25, 2016, 02:10 PM »
Have fun sanding and smoothing...

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50
« Reply #66 on: Jul 25, 2016, 04:09 PM »
Have fun sanding and smoothing...

My fingers are killing me ..... The sanding is endless .... :(

Syko Voss

• 'Simon'/'Simes' OM#1469
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
« Reply #67 on: Jul 25, 2016, 05:55 PM »
Just checking in - while they're still in this state...

If you can, put the hinges on the outside of your arm.
Made the mistake for mine, and Nikjay's gauntlets to hide the hinges on the inside - looks good, but a can be a pain to put on without a helping hand.

Other thing - and it's a bug I'm working out on my rather heavyweight gaunts after my first-ever 3 days of trooping at Celebration - make sure the gauntlets are supported by your forearm and aren't putting weight on the backs of your thumbs - found this out the uncomfortably hard way - you'll get a numbness in the backs of your thumbs that'll last for a good few days...and that's never going to be good.

Great stuff!

Oh...and enjoy all that sanding and smoothing.

« Reply #68 on: Jul 25, 2016, 06:14 PM »
Just checking in - while they're still in this state...

If you can, put the hinges on the outside of your arm.
Made the mistake for mine, and Nikjay's gauntlets to hide the hinges on the inside - looks good, but a can be a pain to put on without a helping hand.

Other thing - and it's a bug I'm working out on my rather heavyweight gaunts after my first-ever 3 days of trooping at Celebration - make sure the gauntlets are supported by your forearm and aren't putting weight on the backs of your thumbs - found this out the uncomfortably hard way - you'll get a numbness in the backs of your thumbs that'll last for a good few days...and that's never going to be good.

Great stuff!!

Oh...and enjoy all that sanding and smoothing.

Thanks for the advice !! Yeah will now put the hinges on the outside to make it easier, also the gauntlets feel perfectly fine on my forearms and do not put weight on the backs of my thumbs ^,^ Managed to do all of the sanding tonight even if my fingers are literally killing :P

« Reply #69 on: Jul 25, 2016, 11:38 PM »
Love the look of this kit so far Vod.

« Reply #70 on: Jul 26, 2016, 06:16 AM »
Love the look of this kit so far Vod.

Thanks vod ^<^

« Reply #71 on: Oct 20, 2016, 07:05 PM »
Update time !!!!

It has been a while since I did any kind of work on my kit and after finding my badly painted gauntlet I thought I would give an update.
Here is the blaster gauntlet that was supposed to have been finished before LFCC but it sadly did not happen, the paint job will be fixed eventually once I get some free time in college.

But here is something I am very excited to show :D
Five weeks ago I started college on a Foundation Art course and have fallen in love with it. It has been expanding my knowledge in artistic techniques and the best part is that the 3D workshop (that I will mainly be studying) will be letting me do various props and costumes :D Our task today was to make a body modification so I thought I would make a scrap bit of shoulder armour out of 3mm Sintra / Foamex I had lying around in the house. Here are the results :)

I think I will have to re-create this properly and make this into an opposite arm pad for my kit, what does everyone think ??

« Reply #72 on: Oct 27, 2016, 05:30 PM »
After a few late nights I created a larger version of the shoulder plate so that it can rest properly on there rather than try to spring off.

Front

Side

Back

Although because of my backplate being so awkward at the top (with the tabs on the shoulders levitating rather than sticking) and it being of not the best construction, I will have to completely re-do my backplate before I can try to attach the shoulder pad. That is if anyone thinks it fits the kit at all. :P

Bariikas Talgal

• Leave a legacy worthy of a song
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Celebration Orlando 2017
« Reply #73 on: Oct 29, 2016, 10:37 AM »
Personally I would roll it back more on your shoulder that it almost goes straight up and down (In the pictures it looks rolled forwards). Never seen anything like this so I definitely think it's unique :O . My only real suggestion is if you do want it to sit at an angle like that, design the neck-shield to fit more to your neck rather than the plate itself. Try creating an obtuse angle with it, instead of 90 degree. Look at that, i'm so awestruck with it that I can't even find the right words! :P
Look forward to seeing it in action.

Retired MMCC: #1608
« Reply #74 on: Oct 29, 2016, 12:28 PM »
Personally I would roll it back more on your shoulder that it almost goes straight up and down (In the pictures it looks rolled forwards). Never seen anything like this so I definitely think it's unique :O . My only real suggestion is if you do want it to sit at an angle like that, design the neck-shield to fit more to your neck rather than the plate itself. Try creating an obtuse angle with it, instead of 90 degree. Look at that, i'm so awestruck with it that I can't even find the right words! :P
Look forward to seeing it in action.

Thanks for the compliments and advice !! Yeah its at such a weird angle because I could not fit it properly on my shoulder with my backplate all sticking out, need to fix that first before I can get to shoulder pad :D

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!