Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kavryn's Hurty Things WIP: Updated 11/2/15

• 70 Replies

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Kavryn's Hurty Things WIP: Updates on page #4
« Reply #50 on: Oct 16, 2015, 06:42 PM »
Shooty thing!

So, this was the paintjob for NYCC. Had to have a brightly colored tip so they wouldn't confiscate it, so I put a good coating of Traffic Cone Orange on the tip. I HATED it. -shudder-

So I scraped the ugly-shebs paint off, repainted it, and made a removable safety tip ;D

Shooty thing hanger system:

Shoutout to Ohld Vart for the idea.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Evad

• Shereshoy
« Reply #51 on: Oct 17, 2015, 05:33 AM »
That is an ingenious hanger system for 'shooty'.  Solid design, and I'm sure it'll last a long time however I would have painted it as well.  I'm personally still going to use holsters that I'll make, but kudos.  Also, the orange safety tip - how often have you seen that as a requirement at cons?  I'm wondering if that's a pretty usual practice, or are they more prone to have you attach those silly flexible bands to denote con approved weaponry?

Straka Zulu

• Ke nu'chayaiki ni, gar kar'tayli ner bora...
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #52 on: Oct 17, 2015, 08:57 AM »
I put the orange tip on my blasters, just to cover my bases.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #53 on: Oct 17, 2015, 09:03 AM »
I put the orange tip on my blasters, just to cover my bases.

Permanently or removable?

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Straka Zulu

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Donated four quarters of 2024. Awarded to individuals with at least 40 hours recorded of Invasion service in a 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #54 on: Oct 17, 2015, 12:55 PM »
Permanent, on my current one.  My Verp will be removable.

MMCC # 1126, W.B. #000 (founder), MAJIC #152, M5SP #19, L.O.B. #5, S.O.S. #007, MIB #13, QMU Support #44, Draluram #006

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #55 on: Oct 17, 2015, 01:20 PM »
Yeah, if I'd thought of it beforehand, I'd have built swappable tips into the gun itself - one orange, one regular. But I didn't, so this was the best I could do  :(  I thought I'd be fine with the orange on the tip, but it's just so obvious:laugh:

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #56 on: Oct 18, 2015, 10:19 AM »
I believe it's exclusive to big cons like NYCC.  Wasn't able to attend last DragonCon, but I don't remember that being a requirement even there.  I can see why they make people do that, but its dumb.  I would just use orange tape, if that were allowed.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #57 on: Oct 18, 2015, 11:11 AM »
The orange tip rule depends on where you are, some states require it, some places dont.  I have a roll of Orange Electrical tape in my kit repair bag in case I am somewhere that requires it.  Others have orange tip inserts made for their weapons so they can put them in and remove them as needed.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #58 on: Oct 18, 2015, 12:08 PM »
Yeah NYCC is stupid restrictive. No wood or hard plastic props at all, no moving triggers, etc. I left my dagger behind, 'cause I knew they'd confiscate it, and they almost took my shooty even with the painted barrel.

NYCC is dumb.

Jasand

« Reply #59 on: Oct 19, 2015, 12:38 PM »
Yes it is.  I had a solid rubber training pistol (the kind you'd use in hand-to-hand classes to practice disarming an armed assailant).  No trigger, no moving parts.  Bright red/orange tip.  Bendy.  And the jerk at the gate made a big deal of inspecting it and threatened to take it away.

Fortunately my cold, blank "I will kill you" stare is enhanced by freaky Harley Quinn make-up. . .

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
Re: Kavryn's Hurty Things WIP: Updated 11/2/15
« Reply #60 on: Nov 02, 2015, 09:56 PM »
Making a new stabby thing with the intent of casting it. Because the only thing better than one throwing knife is six more just like it, amirite? ;D

And bought a brand new bowcaster from the fine folks at Spirit Halloween. This one's a long term project for sure, but she'll get there eventually :)

Ju'siik Kelborn

• When brute force needs dialed to 11
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #61 on: Nov 02, 2015, 09:59 PM »
I like your stabby and really like your bowcaster. :)

Kandosii sa kar'ta, vode an - "Indomitable at heart, brothers all."

Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum ~ Daniel Fleetwood, Carrie Fisher, Katy Johnson, Stan Lee, Peter & Angie Mayhew, Nichelle Nichols, Blair, Stella, Ray Stevenson

Dahrken

• What we do in life echoes in eternity
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #62 on: Nov 02, 2015, 10:49 PM »
Love the new additions!

MMCC# 1952
M.V.S. #058

Straka Zulu

« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2015, 11:13 PM »
Gotta take a look at my local Spirit, see what's on clearance.

« Reply #64 on: Nov 04, 2015, 12:10 AM »
Love the new weapons.  I want to see that knife all painted up and deadly looking.  :). Is it sintra?

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #65 on: Nov 04, 2015, 07:43 AM »
Thanks vode  ;D

Yep, 6mm sintra (or rather, two layered 3mm sheets). The line in the center  helps keep all the edges even when I'm sanding down the blade  ;D (also I don't have any solid 6mm, haha)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #66 on: Nov 14, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Not really an update, but here's my arsenal all in one place:

Took my preapp pictures today, we'll see where that goes  ;D

Algae198

• I'm not Boba Fett
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #67 on: Nov 29, 2015, 09:45 AM »
Damn, I'm glad I found this thread.

I'm that green/brown Mando that you saw at NYCC, and I just wanted to say you kit is superb. I love what you did with your props, and it was great getting to see everything in person.

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #68 on: Nov 29, 2015, 10:29 AM »
Thanks vod ;D Your kit isn't bad, yourself  :)

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
« Reply #69 on: Dec 03, 2015, 11:52 AM »
Worked on my bowcaster! Removed chintzy scope, replaced barrel & arms.  Gotta add the balls, mount a new scope, add mounting points, do body work, and paint.

« Reply #70 on: Dec 05, 2015, 10:58 PM »
bowcaster should be fun!

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!