Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Question about boot gaiters

• 12 Replies

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
Question about boot gaiters
« on: Oct 07, 2014, 08:59 PM »
Just had a quick question about boot gaiters. I'm planning on using a set of boot gaiters possibly WW2 style or maybe a style similar to the War Doctor from Doctor Who, I know that you need to cover boot laces which is one of the reasons I'm using them because I plan on going light armor but I see in some photos that people have WW2 style gaiters with lace up sides. Is it okay to use lace up sides on the gaiters and you just need to cover the boot laces, or are the laces on the gaiters a no go? Just need to know before I order or make a pair. Any info would be helpful.

No Sir, I didnt see you playing with your dolls again.
Armor W.I.P. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=78893.0

Tyno Krast

• Easy way or hard way? Either way, I get paid.
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
Re: Question about boot gaiters
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2014, 10:21 PM »
Laces aren't necessarily a no-go for the gaiters. Just keep in mind that you want to look Swarsy. Generally speaking you can't go wrong with WWII gear.

To be on the safe side post a pic or link to the gaiters you're looking to buy. I'll also bounce this off the rest of the team and see what they say but images would really help a lot.

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2014, 11:16 PM »
Okay thanks, I was kind of thinking most WW2 stuff works well since a lot of the original weapons and props are made from old WW2 German equipment.
I was thinking something like these.
http://imageshack.us/a/img405/1590/irvh.jpg
or these
http://www.stevedockery.com/wardoctor/gaiters.jpg

Tyno Krast

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #3 on: Oct 08, 2014, 09:50 AM »
Got it. Sent the pic to the rest of the team.

I'm thinking you might be good with either of these but we'll wait to see what the rest of the team thinks.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:07 PM »
I think if you make a pair like the 2nd, but with poper snaps instead of sewn on buttons it could look good :)

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Yutah

• Proud Wearer of a Lonewolf Helmet, blank #6
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions 2016
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2014, 01:26 PM »
I wear M1938 Leggings(marine colored) that are shown in the first link. They were historically worn with the laces on the outside. I switch it up and wear them facing the inside.

OriKad

• The Grizzled Old Sergeant of Mav Oya'la Clan
  • Awards Force Hunter Brigade Member Special Weapons 267th Rapid Assault Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Airmobile brigade member
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2014, 02:55 PM »
Endor Commandos had laced gaiters, according to the references I used for my wife's endor-inspired kit, so laced gaiters are theoretically acceptable.  Just bear in mind that it's going to be irritating to fiddle with laces.  My old gaiters were laced (laces were under my shin plates) and they're so much better now that they're zipped.

Jaden Katrell

• Rider of Gorvo
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2014, 03:18 PM »
Since they are not boot/shoe laces, you should be fine. Tyno should let you know soon to be 100% sure.

B.E.A.R.D.S #068 / QMU Supporter / TPS #12 / K.O.M.S #031 / IT-Mando Society #2

Alor'ad: 8/'15 - 2/'17
Ver'alor: 11/'14 - 8/'15
Ruus'alor: 9/'14 - 11/'14

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2014, 05:39 PM »
Thanks for all the info, it's helping a lot. I'm leaning towards doing the button up pair if I can find a pattern and get access to a sewing machine.

Tyno Krast

« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2014, 09:25 AM »
You're good to go with the laced up gaiters. Proceed!  ;D

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2014, 01:32 PM »
Good to know, tanks for all the help!

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 25 official invasions. Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #11 on: Oct 26, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Dude check out Tanfy leather factory's pattern section they occasionally have free or really cheap patterns for gaiters that work for leather or fabric! Or if they are out of your budget send me a pm and I'll see what I've got.

QMU#084

Titus_Crowe

• Good job there Shiny
« Reply #12 on: Oct 26, 2014, 02:39 AM »
Dude check out Tanfy leather factory's pattern section they occasionally have free or really cheap patterns for gaiters that work for leather or fabric! Or if they are out of your budget send me a pm and I'll see what I've got.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!