Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Kryamla's Armor - Now with Upgrades!

• 240 Replies

Kryamla Redalur

• "Wait...how do you say your name?"
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
Kryamla's Armor - Now with Upgrades!
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:50 PM »
Hello fellow femmandos! I already have my soft parts started and almost completed so I figured it's about time that I start my armor thread. (see signature for the soft parts thread link) I currently do not have lots done and it probably going to be a long process since I'm in my final semester of college.

Here is the overall goal/look for my armor.

Here is a picture of my right knee and both shoulder armor parts. I only have the right knee because I accidentally cut through the left and have yet to make a new one. This is the first coat of silver for the base.

Side view of silver base paint

Painted knee!

Side view!

So I need to black wash still amongst other thing that still needs to be done. But any thoughts or comments thus far?

« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2016, 12:39 AM by Kryamla Redalur » Logged
Manda'galaar Clan || MMCC #1278
Bo-Katan WIP - Bo-Katan Brigade WIP
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
Re: Kryamla's Armor WIP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 03:16 PM »
What is your armor made from? It looks pretty thin, which has lead to warping during the shaping process.

Kryamla Redalur

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 100 official invasions.
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 03:32 PM »
It's kydex. And yes I agree. When I ordered it, I didn't realize that it was going to be that thin. Any suggestions to fix it?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2014, 03:34 PM »
Is Kydex similar to Worbla? Do you have enough to dual layer it? You could also form it on a buck, which is basically just anything solid that you can press the material onto and form the shape around instead of doing it by hand.

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14, 2014, 03:39 PM »
It's a plastic type material. I'm not sure what worbla is like so I'm honestly not sure about that. I can try reshaping it  using the buck method! If not, I'll go with another method.

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #5 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:11 PM »
I'd suggest taking some time to sand the points off of your edges - they're looking a bit ragged  :(

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14, 2014, 06:48 PM »
I'd suggest taking some time to sand the points off of your edges - they're looking a bit ragged  :(

Are you talking about on the shoulder thingys?

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Kavryn Falco

• I am the advice ninja
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions. Repeat appearance in the invasion reports Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Oct 14, 2014, 07:41 PM »
Are you talking about on the shoulder thingys?

Yes, particularly on the forward edge.

Kotyc solus guyani, a mirdala solus shukala.
The strong one survives, but the clever one conquers.

Build & upgrades | Hurty things | K.O.V.A. #15 | M.A.R.S #7

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Yes, particularly on the forward edge.

Gotcha! Thank you! I shall do that!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ronin Tavic

• Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Beastmaster Brigade Member
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:49 AM »
yeah the form on them could use a little tweaking... I'm not as much of a fan as thinner plastics, as they tend to do funky things when they get hot.. a trick to eliminate that is dont get them quite so hot next time, sometimes you can heat them enough, and bend them to the shape you need.
You could also try to find some cans or jars or something hard and sturdy to bend the plates on to give them a more uniform bend.

The colors are gonna look super cool together when its all done btw, i love the purple/white combo :)

PS: double layering some pieces would be a pretty good idea with this thinner plastic, as it will help reinforce and add strength to the plastic. as well if you layer the outside it can look pretty awesome. I love my layered chest plates :)

Pre-App pics and upgrade thread: http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=63828.15
"I only take 2 things seriously: the lives of my vode, and the deaths of my enemies"
Ni redalu o'r vhetin be'kyram.
"I dance in death's valley"
"we're not mercenary's, more like adventure capitalists"

Erio J'uni

• Trust me. All you are to me is a paycheck!
  • Awards 6 or more Education Points in a single year. 15+ clan level invasions 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 75 official invasions.
« Reply #10 on: Oct 15, 2014, 02:40 AM »
Kydex is the material that fitted gun holsters are made from.  Most are either wet-formed leather or Kydex.  Even though it's thin, it should be pretty durable.

MMCC #899 | B.O.M.B. #1 - The Bomb'alor | M.A.J.I.C. #132 | K.O.M.S. #17 | B.O.O.M. #11 | The IT-Mando Society #11 | Grey Brigade #59

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #11 on: Oct 15, 2014, 12:26 PM »
yeah the form on them could use a little tweaking... I'm not as much of a fan as thinner plastics, as they tend to do funky things when they get hot.. a trick to eliminate that is dont get them quite so hot next time, sometimes you can heat them enough, and bend them to the shape you need.
You could also try to find some cans or jars or something hard and sturdy to bend the plates on to give them a more uniform bend.

The colors are gonna look super cool together when its all done btw, i love the purple/white combo :)

PS: double layering some pieces would be a pretty good idea with this thinner plastic, as it will help reinforce and add strength to the plastic. as well if you layer the outside it can look pretty awesome. I love my layered chest plates :)

I haven't quite decided in what direction, everyone has given good advice so now it's just sorting through it all. I'm at the point where I'm considering buying the armor and painting it. Lots to think about! But thank you!

Kydex is the material that fitted gun holsters are made from.  Most are either wet-formed leather or Kydex.  Even though it's thin, it should be pretty durable.

That's how I got the idea to use kydex for the armor, my boyfriend has made some holsters out of it and it seemed relatively easy to work with lol. But time will tell if I decide to further the use of it or not.

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ajax Kaal

• Forward, always forward!
  • Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2015, 09:35 PM »
You can go in either direction with the armor, there are some great armor makers here on the boards and you can get a set at a really reasonable price.

If you want to do the home made, as others have pointed out, heat it up until it just starts to bend and then form it. Shoulders don't need much of a bend, so just making them even is a good thing to shoot for. Knees are pretty similar in that the forming is more of a "u" shape when you look at them from the top down as it would fit on your knees. My chest plates, I literally heated one side at a time and using heat resistant gloves so I didn't burn my hands, pushed the plates to my chest to help get the shape and the bends in the right places. Highly suggest putting on your vest first as using that as a layer of protection from the hot plastic. If you are going to do the formed breast plates, you'll have to watch the forming over complex curves as the plastic can form folds, and if you get the pieces too hot, they will warp and create sharp bends/divots that you have to reheat and gently coax back into shape.

Another way is to use a bowl with a rounded bottom on the inside and get the plastic heated up and then push it gently down into the bowl, usually using something round to push the plastic with, to form your cups, remembering to leave enough material for the bottom corners of your plates and when you are forming plastic into cups you have to remember that the flat shape will be bigger than you think.

A tool that a lot of costumers use is to make a duct tape dummy of themselves so that they can form the armor to their body shape and is usually a lot easier than trying to push the items onto yourself.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your armor progress.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2015, 11:03 PM »
I'm thinking at this point in time, I'm planning on buying armor from the mandalorian arsenal. I've seen a lot of people use their armor and they have pretty reasonable prices. As for a helmet, Im hoping to buy a helmet from saz. I just have to save a little bit more for everything and hopefully I'll get that going soon!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2015, 09:39 AM »
I got all my armor, save for my shins and gauntlets, from Mandalorian Arsenal. Great products, definitely recommend!

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2015, 05:30 PM »
I got all my armor, save for my shins and gauntlets, from Mandalorian Arsenal. Great products, definitely recommend!

Was it hard to reshape and trim? I have zero experience doing things like that and don't want to ruin it lol

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

corriban

• Mercs War Correspondent
  • Awards 15+ clan level invasions 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions. Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:33 AM »
It's sintra, so you can use a dremmel or a really heavy duty box cutter if you're more comfortable. And yeah, reshaping is really easy as long as you have a heat gun. I had to reshape most of the plates a bit so they fit me properly.

Zasiya Adenn V2 | Dee Ca'tra
MERC #1078 | KOVA #0011 | M5 #42 | QMU #019 | ALLUMINATI #027 | PMS #003

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #17 on: Jan 18, 2015, 10:54 AM »
It's sintra, so you can use a dremmel or a really heavy duty box cutter if you're more comfortable. And yeah, reshaping is really easy as long as you have a heat gun. I had to reshape most of the plates a bit so they fit me properly.

That's a relief!

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #18 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Yeah sintra is easy to work with, just go slow with your cutting. I usually use a very sharp exacto knife and the key is to make several light to medium cuts and let the blade do the work. If you try to force the cut on one path, you will definitely get hurt. Use a heat gun and slowly work it up until it just starts to get bendy and then start your bends, but go easy on the bending. You'll do ok.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2015, 09:56 AM »
Yeah sintra is easy to work with, just go slow with your cutting. I usually use a very sharp exacto knife and the key is to make several light to medium cuts and let the blade do the work. If you try to force the cut on one path, you will definitely get hurt. Use a heat gun and slowly work it up until it just starts to get bendy and then start your bends, but go easy on the bending. You'll do ok.

Okay that makes sense! Thank you for the advice! :)

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Ajax Kaal

« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2015, 10:51 PM »
Meant to say on one pass...basically go over the same cut over and over again letting the blade cut through the layers. I use a ruler to guide the cuts the first few times and as they get deep, you can just let the cut guide the knife until you cut through.

Ajax Kaal
Member #414
Forward, always forward!

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #21 on: Mar 30, 2015, 10:57 PM »
GUESS WHAT CAME IN THE MAIL TODAY?!

I'm super excited! I'll get pictures uploaded tomorrow with it on me! The chest pieces and knees are a pretty good fit, probably just a little trimming there. The collar plate and shoulders will need some trimming too. It's the back plate that does worry me a bit, it's much bigger than I anticipated.... So I'll need some help figuring out how to fix it... But gosh, I feel like a kid on Christmas!  ;D

- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Evaar'la Kal

• Pistachio!
  • Awards Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #22 on: Mar 31, 2015, 01:07 AM »
Super cool vod!  The arrival of mando related packages is always very exciting  :D

Instagram: @evaarla_kal

Kris Jasra

• "A womprat could pilot better than you" Jaxx Jasra
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad 6 or more Education Points in a single year. Family events Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017
« Reply #23 on: Mar 31, 2015, 04:14 PM »
Yup, even better when the postmen ask what's in the package. I mean, can you imagine the look when you tell them it's your second set of breasts... :P
Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Vi ram'or te'prudiise. Gotal par akaan, vi jatnese be te jatnese. Bal cuun kote o'r gar tal.

The only safe way to take out Kris would be with an orbital bombardment.... and even then your chances of surviving are only 50:50

Kryamla Redalur

« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2015, 07:52 PM »
Super cool vod!  The arrival of mando related packages is always very exciting  :D

Yup, even better when the postmen ask what's in the package. I mean, can you imagine the look when you tell them it's your second set of breasts... :P
Looking forward to seeing what you do with them.

Haha wish I thought of that!

Here are some pictures of them taped on. I know I'll have to do some trimming and such, but I definitely want some opinions on how much.

The chest part near the diamond isn't exact even, so that'll need some adjustments

I only put one shoulder on, the other side is the exact same way. Definitely needs to be smaller

There was no good way of getting a picture of the back plate on me, I'll try to figure that out lol

Thoughts on what needs to be done?

« Last Edit: Mar 31, 2015, 07:56 PM by Kryamla Redalur » Logged
- S7 Bo-Katan WIP

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!