Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Clone Backpack

• 58 Replies

Tier

• Sometimes I'm hungry, other times I'm asleep.
  • Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
Clone Backpack
« on: Oct 14, 2014, 09:55 PM »
Well, it's high time I posted a new thread so why not chronicle the fabrication of my backpack? Since, I'm an about the town kind of guy, I need a pack that will hold all my dets, rope, loot and other essentials to get me through my merc day and what better way than a surplus clone backpack? ... My thoughts exactly.

Let's start with a tried and true pep file, cut and prefolded:

I used 110lb card stock, scored all of the folds and will be using elmer's glue sticks to bond.

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 09:59 PM by Tier » Logged
Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100
Re: Clone Backpack
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2014, 10:24 PM »
Looking forward to this. Since I'll be making the same one.  :laugh:

pyromastermuaddib

• Dark Smokepuncher
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2014, 11:21 PM »
Can't wait to see how this turns out!

I would just like everyone to know that I suck... And that I'm a girl... And I like ribbons in my hair... And I want to kiss all the boys.

Tier

• Awards Beastmaster Brigade Member Award for 25 official invasions. Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions. EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Oct 16, 2014, 09:59 AM »
Tabs were glued, progress was made, all while watching the the It's The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown:

Let's see if I can finish pepping before the weekend...

Mountain Ops #001 Beast Hunter #013 M.A.C.K. Daddy #002 Mando-Tough #037 B.E.A.R.D.S. #100
« Reply #4 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:06 PM »
That's coming together nicely.

Tier

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19, 2014, 09:32 PM »
Looks good to me! I am going to leave the bottom flat for now and accessorize it later. Now on to resin (sometime in November  :( )

« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2014, 01:24 PM »
Looks good to me! I am going to leave the bottom flat for now and accessorize it later. Now on to resin (sometime in November  :( )

I'm at the same place.  8) I put the bottom on mine, but I'm considering removing it. Its just taped on so I can do that.

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2014, 04:17 PM »
Looks great! I used a pep file as a foam template and then coated it with smooth on 65d but I think I scaled mine a little small. What did you scale yours too?

Tier

« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 09:30 AM »
I scaled my pack to fit my back plate, it is 10" wide by 14" (17" with the bottom part attached). I do not know the scale since I just measured and entered the mm conversion. Hope this helps!

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2014, 10:22 AM »
Are you planning to use this as a load bearing backpack, and if so, do you have any ideas as to how to accomplish this!

Tier

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2014, 01:44 PM »
Are you planning to use this as a load bearing backpack, and if so, do you have any ideas as to how to accomplish this!

Yes, it will bear a load. I am planning to incorporate a sound system, camel pack bladder and some internal to hold stuff.  I am still brainstorming a bit on the attachment mechanism... I may end up cutting my back plate similar to a jet pack setup and then use a harness that I would wear under my vest, but I am not keen on cutting it. I may end up using an external harness attached to my ammo belt... need to think on all this a bit more!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 PM »
I decided that on mine I was going to go with shoulder straps. I'll make those out of nylon webbing and rivet to the pack.

« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2014, 05:29 PM »
Finally got around to comparing and I scaled mine a bit smaller. The sideshow figures that have these packs just have shoulder straps like so

Also any updates on this? Would love some motivation to finish mine lol

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:50 AM »
If you make it nice and sturdy you could bolt it directly onto the back plate with removable bolts, then fix on some straps that go over the shoulders and attach to your belt (kinda like those old military braces (Americans call them suspenders) to give them some extra support.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Tier

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:34 PM »
I just finished putting resin on the outside last night. Today i am going to Rondo the inside... probably twice. I will post photos later.

« Reply #15 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:31 PM »
Nice cant wait to see it. Idky but i love these backpacks lol

waystone

• Northern Warden
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Looks Great! How big is it next to your backplate?
I know they normally have a cloth or soft top, but does the 3d file offer any hard top versions?

Tier

« Reply #17 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:25 AM »
Hooray! Progress was made, all be it small.  The outside is now resined and the inside it rondoed. Even with the rondo application, I still feel there is too much flex at the corners and joints. I am now going in and adding a layer of fiber glass mat. Unfortunately this may make it a bit heavy, especially with all the stuff I am planning to add (to be revealed later). I still have to find a pattern for the cover. I have some cow hides with the hair still attached for this, should look rustic.  ;D

I have been thinking about the attachment mechanism. I believe I will use hard driver magnets in tandem with some leather straps that will attach to either my back plate or vest. I'm not 100% on what I want to do. I would like to have the option to not wear the pack and no one be able to tell... and I would prefer not to build a harness, thought it would solve the problem.

Anyway, I'm going to finish up the inside this weekend (hopefully), add a final touch up resin coating on the outside and start priming it for modification.

Photos with back plate for size comparison:

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #18 on: Dec 05, 2014, 09:56 AM »
my suggestion would be to add one side of those 3 prong clip things that are on back packs (I have no idea what they're called) to the shoulders of your flight suit, perhaps just under the sweep backs of your collar plate, and then add a strap to the back of the backpack with the other side of the clip.  Size the strap so that it is long enough to let the back pack hang along your back....I'm really hoping I'm explaing this is a way that makes sense.  Look at Stargate Atlantis (It's on netflix), they use the same method on the military vests they wear.  You may have to browse a few episodes before you see one of them take a backpack off on screen, but I know it happens fairly often

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Tier

« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2014, 10:45 AM »
What about 4 adjustable straps at the four points of the pack that attach to the  four corners of the back plate? I have nice flat edges for a clip assembly.  I am fairly certain it will take the weight. I have marine grade snaps holding the plate to my vest.

similar to this:

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2014, 11:59 AM »
That could work too, however taking it off would be a bit more difficult.  And as you said, your attachments will have to withstand the weight.

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Kalska Nubu

• Call me Kal.
« Reply #21 on: Dec 05, 2014, 05:38 PM »
They're called parachute clips (or snaps).  My thoughts would be to have straps come from behind the back plate to clip onto the backpack.  The clips would be able to be tucked behind the back plate, but that depends on how you have your back plate attached and what it's made out of, which I believe you said or alluded to that it's metal.  Another thought is to do a similar thing, but have it come from under the front collar plate and have it able to tuck under the back plate.  I think that would probably be the better of the two.

Tier

« Reply #22 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:32 AM »
Progress!

Well we're back at it again! Fiber glassed, filled and sanded. Now to cut the holes for the speakers...

waystone

• Northern Warden

Tier

« Reply #24 on: Jan 12, 2015, 09:55 AM »

It's pretty big... should fit water, electronics and con stuff "comfortably".

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!