Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

My first wip!!!

• 28 Replies

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
My first wip!!!
« on: Nov 04, 2014, 08:47 PM »
After meeting some very nice people at the Quebec Comicon, I got hooked.  Here is my first wip.  Please if you see any error or have any input, let me know. 

I haven't decided on colours yet, I'm concentrating on making the helmet solid.  Hopping to fiber glass soon.

Here is where I'm at:

Cutting the bicycle helmet to make the dome.

Putting it together.

More soon.

Ohl'd Vart

• The PoL Cat
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Award for 25 official invasions. Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Celebration Orlando 2017 Award for 10 official invasions.
Re: My first wip!!!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2014, 09:49 PM »
Looks good, so far!  :)

Rob

Alorad of BVC (now House): 2007-2013
Alor of MMCC: 2013-2023
Counselor to Mandalore: 2024
Retired from MMCC: 02/10/24

"17 years...it was good, while it lasted."

gnomKOLIN

• Awards Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:39 AM »
Really good start, vode! ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2014, 01:38 AM by gnomKOLIN » Logged

Tusken Waiter

• Heavy Class Mando | Race-Tusken Raider | kills-284
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2014, 12:57 AM »
Looks really god! Tusken Waiter approved!  ;)

Im a Heavy Class Mandalorina by the name of Davun Ijod. I was born Tusken Raider, turned into a Rogue Bounty Hunter. Was adopted by a Mandalorian couple after they stole a prisoner shuttle craft carrying several types of species of of people. I am now the shadow that tends to follow. Now give me my credits 
GIFSoup[/URL

Beleck Kase

• Awards Award for 10 official invasions. 40+ hrs Charity 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mobile Engineers Brigade Member
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:16 AM »
More work done.  The ear caps and the RF.  Still lots to do tho.  I'll be posting my armor planning soon.

For now my problem is how to add a mechanism that will hold the RF in the up position???

Hoping to glass this weekend.

Any comment are more than welcome.

Enjoy and later...

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:35 AM »
Remember to put liquid resin on the outside and the fiberglass matt/cloth/paste on the inside, It's a mistake for too many people make and it will take ages to fix as you have to sand back the texture of the fiberglass, resining the outside means you only have a thin layer to smooth, don't cake it in bondo either, the paper surface is more or less smooth already, all you really need to do is resin it, sand back the resin until it is smooth (you might need to lightly skim it with bondo but don't load it on) Then bondo any gaps between pieces like the cheeks and visor etc..

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Beleck Kase

« Reply #6 on: Nov 06, 2014, 10:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Kitala-Enby and hope every thing goes as I have planned .  Should I be concerned about warpage when I resin the outside of the helmet?

Kelan Ord

• Mando McConaughey
  • Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Mandalorian Protector Brigade Member Legends of Mandalore Brigade Award for 25 official invasions.
« Reply #7 on: Nov 06, 2014, 11:02 AM »
Thanks for the info Kitala-Enby and hope every thing goes as I have planned .  Should I be concerned about warpage when I resin the outside of the helmet?

I don't think you have to worry about that. But go with thin coats.

Beleck Kase

« Reply #8 on: Nov 14, 2014, 04:48 PM »
Hello everyone, got some step completed, fiberglass is done, ears caps are done and range finder is on its way.  I'm in never ending bondo phase :rolleyes:.  man is it ever time consuming.  Can't wait to see that done and going to the primer.

Hope everything is looking good, I like to think so.  If you see anything wrong let me know.

I still have to sand down the face.

I'll be strarting on the armor pretty soon.

Later and thanks for the help.

Balou

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:04 AM »
that looks pretty good vod. Something I would suggest is prime between filler coats. it helps give you a better idea of what needs the work. But this is a perfect example of how to do a scratch build helmet.

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Beleck Kase

« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2014, 08:35 PM »
Woo hooo!

Got the first coat of primer on. 

It realy highlight the defects.  Need some more work on the face, cheeks and the ear caps.  Will get that done tomorrow if I get a chance.

I was wondering if there is a way to fix where I went thru the coat of resin?  I will try to cover the areas with finishing putty.  Don't know if thats the proper way tho.

Thanks again for the help.

Balou.

« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:41 PM »
 :o

I bet you're enjoying doing fiberglass on that a lot more than at work, eh?   :P

Nice ALU rf, man! I assume it is aluminium? It looks very cool! I'm impressed,Little Bro!!!!

Nice to see I'm not the only one in the family with the bug.... I wonder if Pat will catch it too??

B.o.B.B. #008
Grey Brigade OT Guard #021

Beleck Kase

« Reply #12 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:19 AM »
Salut Marc!

Nice ALU rf, man! I assume it is aluminium?

Yes its Alu.  Made it from scraped Alu I had.

See you next week.

Balou

Bowfanny

• When in doubt, be kind.
  • Awards Order of the Ori'Ramikad Celebration Chicago Award for 25 official invasions. 11+ Invasion Report Appearances Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:05 AM »
Great progress Vod! That is a very nice and clean build you've got there. To confirm your suspicions, yes spot putty is how to fix small blemishes here and there. Also if you alternate colors of primer between sanding phased you'll be able to make that thing smooth as glass when you have it finished, but you can leave some blemishes and chock it up to battle damage! Great luck to you on your build and progress and I'll keep an eye out to watch your progress.

It is not who you are but the service you do for others that defines you.
QMU#084

Beleck Kase

« Reply #14 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:19 PM »
Hello all,

Started to paint today, the two first coat of gun metal grey is done.  Next will come the arctic white and the first sign of weathering.  Hope it all goes well.

And here is what it should look in the end:

Regarding my next colors wich is white, should I paint the whole helmet(to create double layer weathering) or mask and paint only the surrounding of the visor? 

Any comment on the colors is more than welcome.

Later everyone.

Drakus Cin'Ciri

• Stay Shiny and Keep Flying
  • Awards 267th Rapid Assault Award for 10 official invasions.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Awesome work so far Vod  ;D
You could run either way for the weathering. The double weathering effect really does add a lot to any helmet when it is done right. It adds a more realistic feel of the paint layers being peeled up from abuse seen in combat. I have also seen some members start with a coat of black before adding their main colors to create a scorched effect that looks similar to the grey weathering done on boba's helmet. I would recommend looking at other helmets to get an idea of what type of weathering style you ultimately want your helmet to have.

Looking forward to seeing some more progress  ;D

MMCC: #1043, Brigade #245 - Pilot, 501st Legion: TI-51416, Rebel Legion: Generic Jedi, Cabur Akaata: 100
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 07:38 PM »
Wow, Eric! Very nice work indeed!!!

Looking forward to seeing it tomorrow night, Bro!

B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2014, 07:44 PM »
Hello all,

Did some painting.  Let me know if the wear and tear is too much.  I still have to do the white around the visor and some black on the cheeks, wonder how the white is going to go on with the red under?  Might have to change my choice of colors.

Here we go...

Just a question, to remove the shine, is steel wool the way to go or is it to coarse?

Thanks and let me know what you think.

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2014, 09:47 PM »
Try laying down a layer of grey or white primer before u put the white surface layer on.  The primer is a bit thicker than normal paint and better at covering.  By using s lighter color primer you'll make it easier for the white paint to properly cover the layer it is going over. 

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Beleck Kase

« Reply #19 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:13 AM »
Good idea,  Jorad Werde.  Should of though about that my self, must of had a brain fart ;).  Will try to mask and re-prime the area today and see how it comes out.

Thanks

Balou

« Reply #20 on: Nov 30, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Looking good, bro!  Like the colors, too!

So, you did gun metal gray, toothpaste for weathering, then white.  Did you add more weathering over the stuff already there and the do red? I can see the layered white and red, but can't really figure how the "T" will come out more to look forward to!! Can't wait!!

Either way, looks very nice indeed! Watching closely and taking notes!

« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014, 03:06 PM by jmchabot » Logged
B.o.B.B. #008

Beleck Kase

« Reply #21 on: Nov 30, 2014, 05:12 PM »
Salut jmchabot,

Did you add more weathering over the stuff already there and the do red? I can see the layered white and red

Yes I did add some more tooth paste before painting the red.  The area around the  visor will show three layers of weathering, so gun metal gray-white-and red.  The final color is white.  Anyway thats the plan.

More soon

Beleck Kase

« Reply #22 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:50 PM »
Got the final colors on but something went wrong with the primer around the visor.  The paint pealed right off when I unmasked.  I used primer and paint of the same brand, and followed the instruction to the letter.  Anyway, will try to redo or think of someting. 

Aside my primer issue, I'm happy with the result.  Black or brown wash still to come not sure yet, have to read on that first.

I'll be switching to my armor wip prety soon.  Flight suit is almost ready, girth belt is under way and armor templates are cut( will be looking for sizing opinion). 

Later.

« Reply #23 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:39 PM »
Wow Balou!  Niiiiice!

The paint that peeled, did it just go to the gunmetal? If so let it be weathering...

B.o.B.B. #008

Jorad Werde

• Death from where ever you pay me to be
  • Awards Donated four quarters of 2024. Donated four quarters of 2023. 150 troops Order of the Ori'Ramikad 40+ hrs Charity
« Reply #24 on: Dec 01, 2014, 09:40 PM »
Temperature will sometimes do that with paint

CAO Team XO
Ori'Ramikad
Kilted Mando #20
Mandoalic #132
VRCA #61

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today! (You will need to be logged into the store)
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!