Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Pepakura WIP

• 3 Replies

Bomer Fett

• Adapt and overcome
Pepakura WIP
« on: Nov 05, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I started a thread on this on our Clan page, but didn't realize that I should have a WIP thread here to get maximum feedback and assistance. Here is a link to the original. http://mandalorianmercs.org/forum/index.php?topic=82553.0
This thread will be a brief recap to the point I'm at now. Then I will add to it as I do more work.

Like with most pepakura projects I started with 100lb card stock and a pattern.

Then I applied a light coat of resin to the outside.

Then I applied resin to the inside ensuring that it soaked into the card stock. After it cured I used a heat gun to finalize the shape of the helmet.

Then I applied fiberglass to the inside, and cut out the T-visor

After adding the fiberglass, I sanded down most of the sharp edges and high points that didn't belong. I then applied another coat of resin to the outside to cover any exposed paper from the sanding.  Then I started the long process of applying thin coats of bondo, sanding, then repeat. Over and over, and over....

Then I applied primer, found more areas that needed attention. So, I sanded it down, applied more bondo, and did even more sanding.

When I was happy with the look of it, I applied primer again, then coated the whole thing with silver and masked some damage areas with toothpaste. When that dried I applied a coat of faux primer and masked off more damage. Then I applied the coat of white.

Then I knocked off the masking and cut a T-visor from a sheet of plexiglass.

Then I tinted the visor with spray tinting.

The T-visor is only temporary mounted for now. I used this as a stopping point so I could use it for Halloween. I still plan on adding more colors to it before it is done.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
Re: Pepakura WIP
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2014, 06:33 PM »
Now I'm really not a fan of pep builds. However this is perfectly executed. are you going to add more colour to the bucket or just white? Either way I think it looks great :).

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Bomer Fett

• Adapt and overcome
« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2014, 10:54 PM »
Thank you. On my old one I had a two tone gray on the face, but on this one I think I will be going with blue and gray on the face.

Dha Bral

• Both Predator and Prey
  • Awards Celebration Chicago Legends of Mandalore Brigade Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months 2016 EnviroOps
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:34 PM »
Well done!

It's spelled "Canon", not "Cannon".

(SHHH!!! I found the secret to getting OM approved!)

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!