Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!

Want to make flight suit and vest (New Question 12/12)

• 26 Replies
But I have no idea what material I should make it of?

« Last Edit: Dec 12, 2014, 11:58 PM by Ferahgo » Logged
Re: Want to make flight suit and vest
« Reply #1 on: Nov 06, 2014, 02:21 AM »
Flightsuit - cotton twill.

Vest - duck cloth or leather

Those are the most popular options.
Any particular reason you want to make the flightsuit?

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #2 on: Nov 06, 2014, 04:11 AM »
I made my custom Mando flightsuit out of denim. I highly recommend it.

I can't answer for Ferahgo, but for me it was because I wanted a particular material with a particular weave. After wearing my Boba flightsuit, I found out that wearing an all denim garment feels amazing and now I can't wear anything else. It's jeans, but for my whole body.

Kitala-Enby

• Slowly returning to active forum presence.
  • Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #3 on: Nov 06, 2014, 09:55 AM »
I made my custom Mando flightsuit out of denim. I highly recommend it.

I can't answer for Ferahgo, but for me it was because I wanted a particular material with a particular weave. After wearing my Boba flightsuit, I found out that wearing an all denim garment feels amazing and now I can't wear anything else. It's jeans, but for my whole body.

I originlly wanted to make a flack vest out of denim but was told this wouldn't be approvable. ae you telling me that it could be used?

I sell awesome armour in the Hawkers Guild
CHECK IT OUT!.

Live Action Deathwatch Build.

Custom Copper Covert Mando.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
MABEL #036 & #038 apparently
VOTS #014

Ref Al'drann

• Awards 15+ clan level invasions Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Award for 25 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #4 on: Nov 06, 2014, 12:16 PM »
I guess it depends on how thick the denim is. I was talking about a flightsuit, but if you were to use a thicker denim or double layer it, I think denim could work for a vest.

« Reply #5 on: Nov 06, 2014, 07:03 PM »
Flightsuit - cotton twill.

Vest - duck cloth or leather

Those are the most popular options.

I imagine it would be cheaper. Do you have an even cheaper suggestion, or is this the best way?

« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:12 AM »

I imagine it would be cheaper. Do you have an even cheaper suggestion, or is this the best way?

No cheaper idea...i just think making a flightsuit seems a right pain in the shebs when a flightsuit or cover all is readily available from the internet unless you want something specific as mentioned above.

Kitala-Enby

• Awards Clan with the most recorded invasions in 2016/2017 Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions
« Reply #7 on: Nov 11, 2014, 09:07 AM »
I've been planning a scratch flight suit for a while. Just need the pattern drafting skills.

Ref can I see your denim flight suit? Would like to get a wee look :).

« Last Edit: Nov 11, 2014, 09:15 AM by Kitala-Enby » Logged
CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014

Ref Al'drann

« Reply #8 on: Nov 11, 2014, 05:34 PM »

Cin Vhe'rang

• No Kill Like Overkill
  • Awards Award for 25 official invasions. Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Ground Pounder - Official Member with the most recorded invasions Award for 10 official invasions. Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2014, 10:31 PM »

Your imagination fails you.  It would be cheaper to pick up a used flight suit/ boiler suit at a thrift store or on eBay than to try and sew your own.  Depending on your size, you're looking at a good 3.5 or 4 yards of fabric, at least, not to mention the amount of time to draft templates, cutting and sewing, taking in here and there, etc...  Speaking of which, are you an accomplished seamster/ seamstress?  It doesn't sound like a properly tailored flight suit is something a novice could easily tackle.

Kitala-Enby

« Reply #10 on: Nov 13, 2014, 09:11 AM »
Sure! Link to my thread

Cant see the pic of it new but the pic of it under your kit looks pretty good.

CHECK IT OUT!.

QMU #000
MA #145
EMTS #082
MAD #042
VOTS #014
« Reply #11 on: Nov 13, 2014, 10:37 AM »
Your imagination fails you.  It would be cheaper to pick up a used flight suit/ boiler suit at a thrift store or on eBay than to try and sew your own.  Depending on your size, you're looking at a good 3.5 or 4 yards of fabric, at least, not to mention the amount of time to draft templates, cutting and sewing, taking in here and there, etc...  Speaking of which, are you an accomplished seamster/ seamstress?  It doesn't sound like a properly tailored flight suit is something a novice could easily tackle.

I think that I might just go with scrubs. And as for your other question, I personally have no expertise with the sewing machine. My sister, however, can do wonders with it.

Mavik

• Awards Award for 75 official invasions. EnviroOps Poster Boy - Official Member appears in costume in the most photos Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Heed the Call - helped the MMCC at a Star Wars Celebration
Re: Want to make flight suit and vest (Updated Belt Question)
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2014, 08:48 PM »
That is fine

Vraeden

• Awards Award for 50 official invasions. 2016 Hard Contact - Clan with the most recorded invasions Recruitment - Clan with the largest number of new OM's in 12 months Medic Brigade Member
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 04:17 PM »
I think that I might just go with scrubs.

Scrubs are the way to go, especially for troops where it is going to be warm.

I have a set of coveralls for when it's cold, but scrubs are light, inexpensive and you'll stay reasonably cool under them.

Your armor tells your story.

West Virginia's First Merc
Medical Corps
OM #876, BMC #10, TASK Force #11, M5 #29, BMG #3, KMB #36

Submit your Brigades application

Don't like ads? Help support the Mercs by becoming a Supporter or Auxiliary Member today!
Official Members also get to use the forum ad-free - so kit up and join us!